Honest opinions on Ruger Precision Rifle

forebore,

If I recall correctly the stock does fold on the RPR.
What after market stocks will work on it I'm not sure.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

fourbore said:
I am wild guessing that some shooting sport will benefit from a high scope where the bullet path follows a very high parabola and use up a lot of adjustment.

A higher scope actually uses less adjustment than a lower mount. Not a lot less, but less.

For example, 6.5 142 SMK @ 2900 FPS with zero at 100 yards.:

1.5" sight height, drop to 300 is -11 inches
2.5" sight height, drop to 500 is -9 inches

1.5" sight height, drop to 500 is -44.7 inches
2.5" sight height, drop to 500 is -40.7 inches

1.5" sight height, drop to 1000 is -274.5 inches
2.5" sight height, drop to 1000 is -265.5 inches

And if you wanted to get ridiculous, and somehow mount the scope 5" above the bore, with the same 100 yard zero, the drops to 300/500/1000 would be 4, 30.7, and 243 inches.

Run the numbers yourself.

fourbore said:
That is NOT a folding stock! There is NO hinge!

That would come as a surprise to Ruger.

Ruger said:
Ruger® Precision MSR stock with QD sling attachment points features a bottom Picatinny rail and soft rubber buttpad. The left-folding stock hinge is attached to an AR-style buffer tube and accepts any AR-style stock.

I dont see the folding deal.

models-top.jpg

Any Ar pistol grip, butt stock will work. Barrel swap is easy home DIY job. I am reasonably confident the forarm/barrel nut are compatible but not owning one I hesitate to promise more than I can deliver. I hope, I have not already. yes from the ruger site:

Equipped with a Samson Evolution KeyMod™ Handguard. May be configured with any AR-style handguard.

I stand corrected:

Ruger® Precision MSR stock with QD sling attachment points features a bottom Picatinny rail and soft rubber buttpad. The left-folding stock hinge is attached to an AR-style buffer tube and accepts any AR-style stock.

Now I have to stick my neck out and 'assume', the folding gizmo comes off with the stock and that magpul I listed will replace the whole deal? Every silly A gimmick imaginable! I would ditch that whole POS butt stock. I did handle one. I missed the folding latch.

emcon5: A higher scope actually uses less adjustment than a lower mount. Not a lot less, but less.

Right, that was my point. Funny, you posted while I was typing. I think we are on the same page now. I missed that deal on the stock. I would ditch that for a magpul in a heart beat.

Hogue make a great over molded beaver tail grip. I forget if the ruger is hard plastic or soft. I guess that is more reading.

Last edited:
WE keep crossing paths in cyber space. I got it now.

I have the Ruger American rim fire and consider the trigger one of that guns finer points. I bet it is similar enough that a comparable spring swap would get you safely under 2 lbs. The American is no comparison (far superior) to your typical AR trigger. That trigger would be a keeper in my opinion. Or the last upgrade.

I my view the ergonomics of the AR butt stock is an unfortunate consequence of the buffer tube. i dont see the rational in replicating that in a bolt gun. Unless, as I stated before, it was something certain shooters have become comfortable with.

The mix and match AR accessory game could be good clean fun.

fourbore said:
I my view the ergonomics of the AR butt stock is an unfortunate consequence of the buffer tube.

Maybe I am strange, but I never had any problems with the ergonomics of the AR stock, and all my experience is with the plain-jane A2. I used to shoot service rifle, and have done quite a bit of varmint shooting with a scope & bipod and never found it uncomfortable at all, even lying prone behind it for several hours per day.

fourbore said:
i dont see the rational in replicating that in a bolt gun.
If I was a betting man, I would say the rational is exactly this:

fourbore said:
The mix and match AR accessory game could be good clean fun.

I don't care about the folding stock or the AR parts swapping, but if I was in the market for an off-the-shelf LR rig, this rifle in 6.5 CM would be pretty attractive.

I would give the factory butt stock a try before seeing if it needed replacing, I suspect with the adjustable LOP and comb height, it would work fine for me.

Maybe I am strange, but I never had any problems with the ergonomics of the AR stock, and all my experience is with the plain-jane A2.

As for AR stocks the A2 is my favorite.
I have an Armalite VSR that came with the MBA1 stock, I'm seriously thinking about replacing it with an A2 stock.
As for the Ruger Precision Rifle, I would have to try the stock before I would change it.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

My main precision rifle is a Model 70 308 built by the AMU, sold through the CMP Auction Sight. It shoots much better then I do.

I was impressed with the write ups and test I've seen regarding on the Ruger PR. But its not a Model 70.

But here it the rest of the story. My wife broke her back while deployed and with three rods between her shoulder blades she cant take much recoil. So I built her a 243 Model 70. It shoots and she can shoot it. But two things came up.

One, she wanted me to help her improve her long range precision shooting
Two: She wants a heavier caliber for elk.

Regarding "ONE" I'm a believer that husbands shouldn't teach wives to shoot or drive. So I signed her up for a well known Long Range Shooting School.
She wanted to use her 243 but for liability reasons they required her to use their rifles. She told them about her back problems so they lined her up with a 6.5 Creedmoor with a Muzzzle Brake.

She fell in love with the 6.5 CM, but their rifles were over 5 grand, without the glass.

TWO: I did some research and found people were getting good results with the 6.5 CM on elk so I bought wifey The Ruger.

Again with the back she has problems with positions. No problem the Ruger can be adjusted everyway from Sunday, it was easy to get it to fit her.

I put a good brake on her rifle and recoil is no problem, actually less then her 243.

Then she shot it, I shot, it, my granddaughter shot it. The Ruger PR can shoot and it can shoot good.

This rifle met all the expectations I got from the reviews I've read.

Well worth the money.

I wont give up my model 70's. But that's just being stubborn on my part. I have not doubt if I took my wife's rifle out, spent some time with it, I would be able to out shoot my Model 70 Target Rifle.

I bought a RPR in .243Win and took a bit of time researching it and playing with it. I just got back from shooting the NM PRS match with it shooting it bone stock and not even adjusting the trigger. Shooting my first PRS match that is considered one of the hardest with the best shooters and hanging in there, it was not the rifle when the misses came. I got off sequence on a stage, mis-dialed on a stage and got zeros, but the guys I shot with were pretty impressed.

Folding stock. Shortens it up so that with a suppressor attached, it will fit in a full length bag. For a range toy, who cares. For PRS, it can matter.

With the bore in-line with the stock tube, it is more forgiving of poor technique, which, like it or not, is good for everyone.

The Samson rail makes mounting bi-pods, sling cups, bags, etc. easy and something anyone can do.

The trigger is very good. It can be adjusted (I have not yet) down under 2 pounds if you want.

The accuracy is on a par with the best out there. I have been able to shoot 4" groups at 645 yards in 5-8 mph shifting winds and under .3" in a 100 yard tube. I have shot 2 bullets and 3 charge weights and have not worked on a best load and I am still getting very good accuracy.

The barrel can be changed at home with an AR15 armorer's tool and guages. That makes the .243 (1:7.7 twist) pretty appealing.

The stock is adequate, but yes, there are better ones out there. Any AR15 stock can be put on the RPR.

I have a high dollar custom .260 in a Chassis and I can honestly tell you that the RPR is every bit as good as it is, and most others I have shot in the $4 to $5K range. When a "budget" firearm enters the market and threatens the value of the predecessors, angst is created. The vast majority of the people who have criticised the RPR have never shot one.

Go find the Shooting Gallery show on the Ruger Precision Rifle with Michael Bane, Frank Galli and myself and you will get some more info. I have not seen it, but those who have told me it was very good.

I saw some people with issue with the plastic bolt shroud. I took mine off, put a small drop of superglue on it and let it sit 2 days then put it back on. That tightened it up. In PRS Production, you can not change out parts. You can add slings, bi-pods, comps, suppressors, but it has to remain stock. $2k max retail on gun, $2K max retail on optic. Combo has to be under $3K. The RPR with a Burris XTR!! come in with room to spare and is, IMHO, the best bang for the buck on the market. Next year, I will look at a LRI bolt shroud and put on a better stock.

It is a rifle that anyone with a little bit of mechanical aptitude can configure to their liking without the gunsmith bill. Barrel swaps are easy and quick. It is a budget rifle that delivers performance well above its price point and I would not hesitate to recommend one and there is a good chance I will end up with another in .308 at some point.

Regarding "ONE" I'm a believer that husbands shouldn't teach wives to shoot or drive. So I signed her up for a well known Long Range Shooting School.

Kraigwy, I always look forward to reading your posts, but you have out-done yourself today! Wiser words have never been spoken. My wife wanted to shoot a pistol, so I invited my friend and his wife. She is an NRA instructor (and they are close family friends) and we had a great time that day!

But back on-topic, if you and MarkCO like it then that's proof enough for me. Like I said earlier, unfortunately I'm just not in the market right now. :(

My main concern is the folding mechanism and hinges. It appears you cannot change that mechanism (and Ruger customer services confirmed this to me this am). What happens after the locking mechanisms and hinges come loose after 500-700 rounds? The rigidity of the stock is compromised (and so is repeatability). Any thoughts on this?

I have shot one that has 9K of .308 on it, and it is rock solid.

However, if it would become loose, there is plenty of material there to be able to tighten it up by several methods. Definitely not something I am concerned about. The aftermarket is getting on board and I would be surprised if someone does not offer a conversion of some sort to either cam lock the stock or make it solid in the near future.

stopped by several LGSs, and they said they each have long lists of customers for RPR, and haven't received rifles in months from manufacturer.

So, I said f it, and bought Savage 10t (cabella's special) for $530 in 6.5cm, bull barrel. :)

* * * In PRS Production, you can not change out parts. You can add slings, bi-pods, comps, suppressors, but it has to remain stock. $2k max retail on gun, $2K max retail on optic. Combo has to be under $3K. The RPR with a Burris XTR!! come in with room to spare and is, IMHO, the best bang for the buck on the market. Next year, I will look at a LRI bolt shroud and put on a better stock.

Yes. The total cash outlay to get the RPR set up is reasonable and within reach of the average Joe. It gets him into the sport of LR precision shooting at a level where he can be competitive if he does his part. Later on, if he decides the sport just isn't for him, he can sell the RPR and the scope (unless it's a junk optic) and recoup most of what he's got in it.

It is a rifle that anyone with a little bit of mechanical aptitude can configure to their liking without the gunsmith bill. Barrel swaps are easy and quick. It is a budget rifle that delivers performance well above its price point and I would not hesitate to recommend one and there is a good chance I will end up with another in .308 at some point.

Well said. :cool:

Last edited:
A bud of mine bought one and I got to dry fire it at the range. It is not as smooth and slick as a Tubb 2000 rifle, but then, it is available and not $8,500 http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=tubb+2000

I thought the trigger was fine, the ergonomics excellent, and my bud, who is a Master or High Master class Long Range shooter, it shot well.

Ruger is to be congratulated for putting this rifle out on the market. It must be a decade or so, but when Winchester/FN reintroduced the M70, I called them up and asked if they were going to create a 10 round magazine for the thing. They were not. A M70 action is a great action and with a 10 round magazine it could have been an excellent basis for one of these bi pod high capacity bolt rifles. As it is now, FN missed an opportunity and the market has passed them by. Why build a custom rifle to do what this Ruger will do, and at, about half to a third of the cost?

Unless your lucky....wait times for acquiring the rifle {6 months?} --- I heard from a shooter on our range, who has ordered a 308 RPR. Dicks had some in stock recently.

Nah, luck has nothing to do with it. I have an alert on GrabAGun. In the past 5 months, I could have bought 5 or 6. I have seen them on the rack at Murdocks and BassPro in the last 5 months too, at least a dozen. There are 6 on GunsAmerica and over 100 on Gunbroker right now. Buddy just bought one for $1050. He started looking last week.

Back