Home Depot cart a Mossberg 500 barrel cut job?

Sounds like you're content with the cutting results, that's good to hear. Looking forward to hearing how it patterns for you.
Congratulations wild cat! :)

Finally!

Photobucket no longer works for posting pictures.

Yep...

OP, try Imgur. It took me some time to save and upload all of my PB pictures, but well worth it. I left my PB pictures in the album, in case they ever decide to reverse their decision... but will never deal with PB again (the ads alone were terrible while downloading my pictures).

I know I'm late to the party but for all the take it to a gunsmith types.
I have a Ruger Redhawk that I did a round butt conversion and cut and crowned the barrel back to 4" only part of the job I farmed out to a gunsmith was making the cut for the Weigand front sight guess what the only part of my gun that isn't perfect?
I'm amazed at how little the average person can fend for themselves these days.

I'm amazed at how little the average person can fend for themselves these days.

And I'm amazed at how many folks rely on some idiotic you tube video for instructions from someone with zero credentials to perform a myriad of complex tasks.......

First time I attempt something, I'm likely to screw it up if I go in blind.
Second time I'll typically get it spot on.
I more than understand the intimidation factor of a task that is unknown to me, and tend to seek out advice of those who do know so that I'm not going in blind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming patterning works out, I would recommend this to anyone interested in a vent rib on a shorter barrel. Given how few options exist for this, maybe I'm the only one liking the look...

I had the unfired 28" barrel with tubes and key listed for $65. No calls.

So far, the only thing stopping it from looking like a factory barrel is the wall of the barrel at the muzzle are thick. The factory barrels must have the slightest tapper at the end to reduce this appearance. Meh. Still haven't deburred it yet-as I haven't decided on the deburring tool, sandpaper, or a rounded file. Perhaps that appearance will change.

Thank you. The view count suggests this is a worthy discussion.

I'll add pics later this week of the deburred and blued product.

Next I am trying to decide drill and tap vs drill and push a front sight for the front end. The previous middle is now pretty close to the end..

Remember- you can always have a screw-in choke installed to get whatever patterns you want. Barrel length has nothing to do with shotgun patterns-choke does.

Remember- you can always have a screw-in choke installed to get whatever patterns you want. Barrel length has nothing to do with shotgun patterns-choke does.

Yep... I posted the ODs requirements for threading a few common chokes. Most modern barrels are good to go for at least Remington chokes. I know when I was looking at redoing a Winchester 1897 into a modern defensive shotgun (the takedown model can be really short when apart), a 1920s barrel could accept Remington chokes (my standard choke, as I used 11-87s for hunting for years).

There is always the possibility of thinwalls - most likely not necessary for this brand, but they work for others

Lyman's press fit front sight finally arrived from Brownells. It is slightly translucent whereas the Mossberg front sight is pure white and distinct. I favor the pure white. I may unscrew the stock front sight, drill a hole, and expoy it in or something something (not thread it).

iIVGEvc.jpg

Perfect! Thank you. I was having a hard time finding a drill tap set that was under $15.

Hopefully the front bead doesn't get buggered up coming off.

Thanks.

A bust. Eight bucks shipping. I think I'll just stick with the Lyman's press fit.

I will say, if someone is deciding on the #10 vs the smaller #11, the "big" #10 is very small.

Back