Home defense query

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was not at all upset, offended or surprised by this thread. I have an old friend that is from Ireland and he was, unlike you, very against anyone owning or using a weapon. I had the worst time trying to understand his position, especially considering the history of Ireland being subjugated at times by their nearest neighbors. I certainly would not have to explain to you the abuses that occurred during some of these "occupations" or even colonializations. He also seemed perfectly comfortable with the state or government having all the power and being responsible for protecting him. He felt safe that way, I absolutely would not. I don't find either position sad really, just different. My conclusion was it was the difference in culture that was mostly responsible. We don't have the same feudal background as Ireland, so we are not as comfortable with the "lords" or the chosen few having all he power over a normal, everyday citizen. We tend to feel safer with less dependence on a central power while some other cultures feel safer with power being concentrated in the hands of the few.

*edit* I just read this and found that it sounded sort of insulting, which was not my intent. What I am trying to say is some people feel safer when they know most of the power and responsibility is held by those they trust in government or the police or military because they think their fellow citizens being armed is not worth the risk that those fellow citizens might irresponsibly use their weapons.

i am stringing nobody along and its no secret i live in co cork as regards shotguns its because i mainly read the shotgun forum and the home defense subject comes up regularly i suppose its just horses for courses i did not set out to upset anybody with this thread.we are all shooting folk after all

No problem i know were you are coming from. I have asked similar questions on the forum. It seems to be a American thing i don't feel the need to have a firearm for self defence even with the troubled history of N Ireland. Different cultures different ways of looking at things. :)

:rolleyes:I went to a donnybrook and a football game broke out. :D

or was that? :confused:I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out? ;)

Good summary Scrubcedar.
I'd add, regarding shotguns vs. lighter weapons:

1) A shotgun is (IMHO) more intimidating than a rifle because you CAN see down the barrel when its a couple inches from your face (first hand experience:(
2) A shotgun's physical size and weight also make it a non-lethal albeit formidable club type weapon - be it a whop-up-side-the-head or as a quick jab extender

just to finish i am sure you have a wonderful country if i do visit i will just remember not to knock on anyone's door unexpected peace and goodwill to everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back