Home defense pump action shotguns OTHER THAN the Remington 870 or Mossberg 500

I don't think I NEED any other firearms lol....it's more of a desire to expand the collection. I'm very seriously considering the maverick because it seems to be one of the best deals for the money but I also don't want to limit myself to the firearms that are arguably just the best marketed.

The maverick is essentially a mossberg 500. I thought you wanted something other than.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I saw JC Higgens mentioned. I have a JC Higgens 12 gauge that my grandfather gave me a long time ago. When I pump it rapidly I'll get a pile of shells that fell through the loading gate sitting at my feet.

I've had Winchester Model 97's, a Remington Model 31, Hi Standard 10-Bs, Ithaca 37's and last but not least a humble Winchester Model 42 single shot .410 in arms reach at one time or another.

home shotgun

Really? No one says KSG? Compact pump with 24 round capacity if you use mini shells and shell select ability.

Not sure if I mentioned my cheap, second hand Mossberg pump, an ex Police gun, has a stamp on it.

I paid $87.50 for it, black plastic furniture, and I put a 1" white plastic SECURITY sign, on both sides. Had a touch of rust on it.

A couple of years ago, a Jeweler's, my Son had bought a watch from, the Manager called him up, in a panic "I need an armed guard, tonight" He meant Armed Security Officer, but what the heck.

Using our Shotgun waiver (High risk Patrol?) well close. My Son and I.

Behind the high concrete wall, at the rear of the rear entrance's, and parking lot, was the local hood! A large group of these young male residents had taken to parking at the front entrance parking lot, just prior to the Staff leaving, sitting on their vehicles. Three of this 5 man team were attractive ladies.

Who were being harassed with foul language, etc. The real pretty one, stated no armed person tomorrow (also top seller!) I am gone!

All my Sons armed staff were busy, so he called the retired? Old Guy, me!

Me and my $87.50 pump.

Instructions to the group. Just about to leave, I go out first, you 4 follow me, enter your vehicles, lock doors, start engines. Stay put. Manager to door, lock and set alarm, then head to your car BMW! Start up, lock doors, seat belt, head out. Closest vehicle to his car, follows, till you have cleared the area.

I will leave then. I was armed with a Glock 19, 2 spare magazines. Pump leaned up in the managers office, full tube (SLUGS) breach empty.

Ready to go, I headed to door, lock popped by a Staff member. I stepped out, Port Arms! Racked the slide, marched to end of lot!

All the Bangers jumped off their crap boxes, started up, and squealed out of lot, never to reappear! Made my cost back right there.

I was a mile away, before I stopped laughing. Lasted 6 months, then "Need to drop the cost!" Bye/Bye.

Last edited:
I bought a used Maverick 88 20g from a LGS for $120. Put a Mossburg 500 HD barrel on it, pulled the plug and added a light/mount. I have less than $300 in a great little HD shotgun.

When we left Canada, I had to leave my 14" barrel behind, for my 870. That combination was awesome. Pistol grip stock, bead front sight, painted with white fridge paint. So handy.

Given the OP's parameters, here's another vote for the Winchester 1300.

I thought the Super Nova was semi-auto though. If not, what's the difference between that and the plain ol' Nova?

The butt stock and receiver are all one piece on the Nova. The Super Nova has a different butt stock that is removable. There may be other minor differences. Not worth the higher price tag to me, the standard Nova is a lot of gun for under $400 in most places.

Really? No one says KSG? Compact pump with 24 round capacity if you use mini shells and shell select ability.

I got to shoot the KSG with mini Aguilas and it jammed, misfed, and if you inadvertently hit the mag selector switch, it just dumps your live ammo on the ground when you work the pump - not good things in a HD scenario. Nice toy for grins and giggles, not for HD

The FN P12 is a great shotgun and IMHO is a better shotgun than the 870 or 500. First, it is just well fit and finished. It shoots slugs like a laser beam, runs the Aguila, 2", 2 1/2". 2 3/4" and 3" with no issues. Easy to clean with the chrome lined bore. The rotating bolt is nice, especially at speed and it has the speed pump design. The sights are very good and suitable for a defense shotgun. It has supplanted the other pump guns as my favorite.

The Winchester SXP is basically the same shotgun, but with a LOT of configurations to choose from and a lower price tag. The last three friends of mine who are in LE bought SXPs on my recommendation and have been very happy. A few others have the P12 and love them.

I have Benelli, Remington, FN and a few others sitting in the shotgun rack. While I do think the shotgun can be used as a defensive weapon with great success, it is not my first choice. Even with all that, the marginal benefit of one pump shotgun brand over another is really irrelevant when looking in the SD role. Ergonomics and controls are what matters. I still like good shotguns and I enjoy shooting them. I would choose the P12 or my Nova over the 870 any day of the week. I sold my M500 and the only reason I keep the 870 is because it was the first long gun I bought and I also shot my first bull elk with it (1600 fps slug at 80 yards) so it has sentimental value to me.

Last edited:
I thought the Super Nova was semi-auto though. If not, what's the difference between that and the plain ol' Nova?

The SuperNova has the adjustable comfortech stock and a larger trigger guard as compared to the Nova.

I love my KSG, you have to spend a lot of time on the gun learning it though, the action is very rough compared to conventional pump shotguns and can be short stroked if you don't absoluely abuse the gun when working it.

I keep it loaded with Aguila mini buck, 24 rounds ready to go, and it feeds those better than standard shells actually. It's compact enough to wield with one hand if you need to open a door or call 911 etc.

I got to shoot the KSG with mini Aguilas and it jammed, misfed, and if you inadvertently hit the mag selector switch, it just dumps your live ammo on the ground when you work the pump - not good things in a HD scenario. Nice toy for grins and giggles, not for HD

FITASC, sounds like you shot a lemon. Or maybe one of the very early models. I waited to buy one until the price came down and by that time they had worked most of the kinks out. Mine and two friend's KSGs have been flawless.

ksg

FITASC I don't know whats wrong with your ksg but mine cycles minis no prob. You have to be positive with the pump, short shucking it will not work.

I've personally come to the conclusion pump shotguns are highly overrated. A lot of myth and bravado. "racking the slide will send them running" "No need to aim" etc.

I sold my pumps. I'd probably only buy another if I got a super deal on a really cheap one I could keep in places that aren't extremely secure.

EnoughGun - it wasn't my gun but a friend's and we ALL had the same issues; maybe it was the mini ammo. We tried pumping carefully, forcefully, and in between - same results. And accidentally hitting the selector tab to the middle was when the ammo dumps happened.
There were enough issues that I would not rely on one for HD. Range fun time, sure.

Back