Holsters: Not Printing vs Accessibility

I agree with your statements about the dangers of a reverse carry but similiar dangers remain with most conventional carries. I don't think it increases the liklihood of an accident but if one happened, it would be of a more serious nature. That's for sure. Accidents with revolvers were rather common back when Western-style fast draw was a popular sport. You could buy a Hollywood style holster with a bullet deflector.

Regarding the old cavalry holsters, I believe the US Cavalry were the only mounted troops that carried their handguns like that. I think it is more likely that it was a more comfortable carry for a mounted man. I have one I had made for a S&W Model 10 revolver and it is more convenient and comfortable for many situations but by no stretch of the imagination can you do anything like a quick draw from one. Mine came from El Paso leather. I also happen to have a photo of my father wearing a reverse draw holster with (presumably) a Model 1917 .45 revolver, the photo taken probably in 1945. He had been drafted and was 31 years old.

While it often pointed out that the German army issued more pistols than anyone, in actuality, the US Cavalry issued revolvers and later pistols to all troopers. They quit using swords in the early 1930s. Other armies tended not to issue pistols or revolvers so generously.

From Chic Gaylord's Handgunner's Guide:

"HIGH CAVALRY DRAW: This is the draw from the traditional holster. It is the only belt-type holster from which a single-action fast draw can be made while seated at a poker table, which undoubtedly accounted for its use by gamblers and gun fighters.

"The cavalry draw as used by John Wesley Hardin, Wild Bill Hickok, and Doc Holliday, is the fastest known method of drawing and firing a single-action[revolver]. It is the rarest of draws today because so few will take the time to master it. It takes longer to show results than with the more conventional tied-down holster draw. This draw requires a scabbard held high with an extreme forward tilt. The revolver is held with the butt reversed and is worn just behind the right hip. The draw is begun by raising the elbow almost to shoulder height, then slamming the hand back onto the reversed gun butt with the thumb across the hammer. The gun is then thrown forward out of the holster as the elbow is snapped down to the side. This whips the gun around into firing position. The weight of the gun against the thumb cocks the gun with no conscious effort on the shooter's part. All that's left for you is to fire. The gun should be fired the instant it is on target."

This is almost never seen today, because the shooter "sweeps" his own body in drawing the gun. :eek:

Also, packing a single-action sixgun while playing poker has gone out of fashion. ;)

I was thinking about Chic Gaylord last night because he mentions a lot of unorthodox carry methods, some of which he rightly criticized. His book, which is a little dated, came out in the middle of the Western fast draw craze of the 1950s and like others at the same time, he apparently took it seriously and included photos of a guy in Western clothes demonstrating a fast draw. Also of interest, if I am remembering correctly, were photos of some relatively popular handguns that are almost forgotten today, or at least they don't get mentioned around here. Hi Standard made a double action .22 revolver made to look like a single action.

His book was also the only popular book on the subject of guns to actually include photos of bullet wounds in people. They don't look all that impressive or even at all gruesome but the subjects were all dead.

Anybody here still tie down their holster?

When using Gaylord as a reference, keep in mind the cut, style, and materials of clothing in the 50's.
Cut - large
Styles - men did not go out without wearing a suitcoat and a hat, even in summer.
Materials - Mostly wool, heavy weight.

You could hide a 4" .357 N frame in your pants pocket in those days.

I try not to overthink it, my only requirement is that my method of carry is not considered by me, to be a difficult draw in reasonable positions. I mean, if I am in a inverted negative G dive into a dumpster under heavy fire and cant reach my 4 oclock while in mid-air, Im not going to try and carry differently just to compensate for a unusually freakish situation.

I know guys that "what if" themselves into a corner and end up not carrying at all because its not a perfect situation. Its all a negotiation.

I'm glad to find out I'm not the only one that doesn't get overly concerned about printing. I take reasonable precautions and then forget about it. I'm of the mind that the vast majority aren't going to notice regardless, and of the percentage that are going to notice, they're going to notice, well, regardless.

I don't hold with the loud Hawaiian shirt mindset because unless you're hanging out at beachfront property all the time, you're standing out. Sometimes the very act of trying to camouflage something alerts people to the fact that something is indeed trying to be hidden. Mostly by those people who are likely to notice anyway, and the loud shirt will only draw their attention. The others wouldn't have noticed to begin with.

I carry OWB at this point. Sometimes with a loose T dropped over, sometimes tucked T with an open short sleeved shirt on top, sometimes vest, etc etc. After that I don't worry about it too much.

I know there are folks that say "in a hunnerd years of carry I've never been made" bun truth be told you are probably kidding yourself. Just because no one has ever mentioned it doesn't mean it hasn't happened, it only means you have never knowingly been discovered. Big difference.

I was discovered a few weeks ago when visiting friends house and he introduced me to one of his relatives. The relative never said anything to me but he mentioned it to his cousin who in turn passed it on to me. Turns out the guy is a firearms enthusiast and naturally more aware then most, just like many in here are more likely to notice those who carry.

Didn't bother me much as odds are that's not the kind of person you need to worry about anyway.

One advantage to modern times: Folks are carrying cell phones, iPods, PDA's, etc. etc all the time. Bulges under the shirts are more common than ever.

One friend was challenged about his handgun - he told the guy it was his colostomy bag - end of conversation!

Last edited:
HUH???????

It is your insistence upon using a belt gun in a belt rig that is causing this dilemma for you, and preventing you from having the option of having your hand on your gun, while it is still concealed.

HUH????

Not to disagree too much, but during Gaylord's time men often did leave the house without a coat and tie (but rarely without a hat or cap) and I assure you, heavy woolens are not worn year round, especially in Arizona. And pants were not so full cut that an N-frame revolver could be carried without notice in a pocket. However, I take your point that clothing was cut more generously than it was ten years later but think how baggy a lot of clothing is now and informal (or sloppy) a lot of people dress most of the time.

Since I'm an old Fart, I consider my good, heavy, Hickory Cane, a very important part of my CC makeup. If I am in very close quarters, the Cane will be more useful than the gun, until I get room to use the gun.

Interestingly, in Florida right now, there is a law in the works for open carry; the purpose of which is more to protect CCW folks who inadvertantly "flash" their gun unintentionally, like bending over in a store or something, rather than for actual open carry. A few folks have been prosecuted for "open carry" in such instances... I'll keep y'all posted on the law's progress...

Interestingly, in Florida right now, there is a law in the works for open carry; the purpose of which is more to protect CCW folks who inadvertantly "flash" their gun unintentionally, like bending over in a store or something, rather than for actual open carry. A few folks have been prosecuted for "open carry" in such instances...

The bill passed and has gone to the Governor.

The last I heard, several people were hauled in for inadvertant "flashing" , but no one has been prosecuted.

Back