Holster

Most new holsters for this era arent going to fit perfectly. They require some fitting. That is done by wetting the holster then fitting the gun to it. The wet leather will stretch and mould to the particular gun.

Cabelas has some pretty close copies of proper holsters.

Chatter on other forums mentions that they had good results with the slim jims from several sources after wetting and forming the '58 Remington guns to them.

I make my own holsters. They are all wet formed. I spray the gun well with WD40, wrap it in saran wrap, then push it in the wet holster. I then put the wet holster with gun in it in a dry towel and put the whole thing in a Food Saver bag and vacuum it down tight. I leave it over night, and take it out in the morning and remove the towel which has pulled excess water from the leather. Leave the gun in and let the leather dry and you should have a perfectly custom fit holster with little effort.

The point of TOW is that they have several pages of good pictures to give you some ideas. David Ripplinger there is very knowledgeable if you give him a call.

Have any of you guys called up BIG BAD GUN. Member of THR. Here is a holster he made for my walker.
DSC03609.jpg

some other holsters he made for other members
IMG_4318a.jpg

Mypics_0951.jpg

black20open20top20western.jpg

Those are probably what he wants/needs, as they are what is called a California pattern holster, which would have been made by some of the very very early leather shops in and around San Francisco.

River junction makes some nice holsters, but again, they advise that, after you get them, that you wet form them. Hey, if ya wanna get by for $25, that is what you are going to have to do. If you want it to come to you custom, then the price is going to go up accordingly.

I don't shoot CAS or anything, but it would be nice to have the holster at least "kinda" period appropriate. And I don't mind working a bit to fit it to the gun. But in the end it's really just for wearing around camp for maybe 10 days a year, so I don't think I'll be gettin' a custom one made.

I almost ordered a Slim Jim a few minutes ago, but I'm going to Hawaii next week and don't want it sittin' on the porch.

ok price wise its still good to go with big bad guns. he charged me 30.00 delivered on mine. price wise its about the same. Just made for what you want. Im going to be getting a black rig for my 1851's. Totally custom. i am having some grips made with scrimshaw of a grim reaper. going to have big bad gun do something similar on the outsides of the holsters. his prices are really good. if you guys are interested in getting a holster you should either call him or email him first. top quality leather and they look really good.

I've just ordered a rig from Big Bad Guns for my 1858 with 2 spare cylinder pouches, said that he's goin out of town & will be back on the 14th & he'll start on mine then.. :)

I've just recieved an email that he is back & wants me to give him a call, so I'll be talking to him tomorow "as soon as I find out exactly where he is at so I don't call him too early or late."

east side. in your area. im in California. he was always a few hours ahead of me. I have to call him myself. He was on vacation. i need him to make me a set for my 1851's

Sure have shoots really good. i took it completly apart. you took really good care of that. the insides were pretty well cleaned and kept up. I cast my own. so far i have had some pretty good success with .452 with goex 24 grains. i was gonna try .454 but .452 seems to cut a full circle lead ring. Kinda nice to have 4 .44 bp guns at the range. Every one seems to be attracted to them. Especially when i take out MR. WALKER

I'm filling my Cabela's cart with some fly fishing supplies for my June trip and I just added this to the cart for my 58 Remington.

Cabela's Slim Jim

They even offer it for 5 1/2" barrel lengths. I think it will suit my purpose, but I'll hold off on checking out in case one of you folks might tell me why it's not a good idea.

It should do fine for what you want it for. Oklahoma Leather isn't the best in the world. It will get limp and the mouth will start to fold over after time. At least the double rig I had did.

Back