Holster Positions

In the past I carried a P95 in the 6 o'clock position. One night I was walking the dog and walked down a small slope and on a wet spot and I slipped backwards right on top of the gun. Panic was my first thought cause it HURT. I was lucky that night and stopped the 6 position. Now days I carry a LCP in the 10 position(south paw) in a slot holster(as I call it). two pieces of leather sewn together with belt slots in it. Great when driving and sitting with good gun retention.

3 to 6 I say, in your case 9 to 6?

I tried 1 and 2 spots and well I hate it because its right on my leg and I feel like if I pulled my gun out in a hurry I could shoot myself and bleed out in seconeds in the front, so I think its stupid to carry there. I like 3 to 6, nothing to worry about. When you sit down with it at 1-2 spots it hurts, I can feel the barrel on my leg and doesn't feel right, as gun rule's say keep barrel away from anything you don't want to destory. I rather have my butt shot by mistake than a main artery.
Just my 2 cents.

Primary in 4. BUG in my boot.

My primary is either a Bersa UC 45 or a 1911. Neither will be very comfortable at 2 if I'm sitting and/or driving (which I do a lot of).

Oh and the last thing I want/need is for an AD and a 45 caliber JHP bullet to rip through my crotch area... lots very important items down there.

Ok, serious answer.
If there was an accidental discharge in the holster, would you rather the holster be in the 10 or 4 o'clock position?
Especially if sitting down.

Seriously? Do you really consider this for even a second?

Explain to me how a discharge is possible if I'm sitting and my gun is holstered AIWB.

Holster gremlins?

AH.74 said:
Explain to me how a discharge is possible if I'm sitting and my gun is holstered AIWB.

Without knowing the kind of gun you'd be carrying it makes it problematic.

If you're just sitting there it's unlikely. It's when other things happen that accidents can happen. Remember, we should never rely on a safety mechanism in lieu of muzzle and trigger discipline.

If your mode of carry points the muzzle at some portion of your anatomy, with reliance on a safety mechanism to prevent a discharge, that's considered an unsafe method of carry.

A gun at 2 o'clock with the muzzle pointed at the thigh, for example. But if the gun is at 1-2 o'clock in a crossdraw format, with the muzzle clear of the body, that's considered safe (not withstanding the deficiencies of crossdraw carry).

9 o'clock high! The shoulder rig! Some day that may change. I'm seriously considering 6 IWB with a smaller gun. The only thing is I've read about guys who fell or were felled and damaged themselves :(

Without knowing the kind of gun you'd be carrying it makes it problematic.

If you're just sitting there it's unlikely. It's when other things happen that accidents can happen. Remember, we should never rely on a safety mechanism in lieu of muzzle and trigger discipline.

If your mode of carry points the muzzle at some portion of your anatomy, with reliance on a safety mechanism to prevent a discharge, that's considered an unsafe method of carry.

A gun at 2 o'clock with the muzzle pointed at the thigh, for example. But if the gun is at 1-2 o'clock in a crossdraw format, with the muzzle clear of the body, that's considered safe (not withstanding the deficiencies of crossdraw carry).

Come on, Bill.

The gun or manual safety device does not matter. I was responding to what I saw posted, which was a questionable statement.

I can have my Glock AIWB at 2:00 and be perfectly safe. As long as I'm not playing with the trigger, and I CAN'T while it's properly holstered, there is no chance of a discharge. That's what I'm saying.

I can remember only one recent story about a gun discharging while IN the holster, and that was from a defective leather holster folding into the trigger guard.

Have you heard anything else about a discharge of a gun while in the holster. IN the holster, as was posted above.

I prefer the appendix (2 O’clock) carry method as well. Everyone is different though. Each carry area (1-6) has its own advantage and disadvantage.

I like the 2 O’clock position because it is comfortable and is easiest for “ME” to access/draw quickly if I am standing or seated. It is however an inherently dangerous carry method only because of the location of the muzzle when seated. You will have to experiment with different holsters and carry positions to see what suites you best. How important is comfort, access, and carry location to you?

Here is my setup:

c0f5dc73.jpg

Last edited:
It is however an inherently dangerous carry method because of the location of the muzzle when seated.

Disagree. It's no different from having a pen or pocketknife or any other tool in your pocket. It will not magically go off by itself.

For deep concealment I carry right at about the 4:30 position. When I wear my Serpa I carry at about the 2:30 position. When I am in uniform and at work I carry at a 2:30 as well. The 2:30 position is just as easy to guard with your arm, but places the gun slightly forward for an easier draw. With the Serpa it is one fluid motion of upward/forward motion and sweep of the retention mechanism. With my level 3 it is a upward/forward sweep with a quick push down/roll forward with my thumb to draw. At the 2:30 position the muzzle is not flashing my leg, it's just far enough back.

I like the 4:30. I would find it hard to sit with a gun at the 2. Standing all day yes, but I can put my gun at the 4:30 and carry all day... sitting, standing ect. No such thing as a AD they are all ND IMO...

Seriously? Do you really consider this for even a second?

I'm with the gang on this one. When I carry a firearm, I like to keep the muzzle pointed AWAY from me. Call me superstitious.

I keep hearing the NRA in my ear with...

#1 ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.

Seems to me that the cool trainers are all carrying around 2:00 these days.

If I was comfortable carrying there, I would. I just can't get comfortable with it, though. My concealed carry guns are usually larger sized, and it just doesn't work for me. So I stay with around 3:30 or so, it give me a good balance of concealability, comfort and ease of draw.

AH.74 said:
Have you heard anything else about a discharge of a gun while in the holster. IN the holster, as was posted above.

Yes, two incidents, but not while sitting down.
An area LEO was off duty and Christmas shopping with his wife. In a crowded toy store (~9 days before Christmas) a group of teen thugs in the store grabbed several purses and pushed through the crowd. The officer, in his words, said he was shoved hard and twisted to avoid falling on two small children. That "save" of the kids caused him to fall against a peg-board rack. A narrow steel peg managed to exert enough force to push the leather of his holster against the Glock's trigger and cause a discharge. Fortunately, his body position ensured that the .45 round went down and into the merchandise gondola. He suffered some minor injuries to his "glutus maximus" and shallow lacerations from the other pegs at the end cap display.

Around '86, a BMW K-100 rider was rear ended while stopped in Nevada. David's 1960's Colt 1911 discharged because the Audi struck him from the rear with the C&L Colt in a horizontal shoulder holster. Impact around 42 mph was severe enough that the bike, rider and gun moved forward, but the floating firing pin missed the memo, so it stood still until it struck the primer. NHP confirmed the gun was still holstered, cocked & locked with the strap between the hammer and FP The Audi had a nice .45 hole in the windshield and a similar hole in the dash. The driver was not hurt and the bullet stayed in the dash. David fared worse however. He made contact with the bike's seat, trunk and saddlebags, the Audi's fender, hood, the pavement and the curb. Today he can still walk with the aid of a cane.

AH.74 said:
Disagree. It's no different from having a pen or pocketknife or any other tool in your pocket. It will not magically go off by itself.
Generally a true statement if we emphasize by itself.

But a gun worn on the body is not isolated and "by itself". The human body is dynamic and moves. It bends, twists & moves. The body encounters external forces from time to time, such as bumping a table, chair or car door. We stand up and sit down often, get in and out of cars often. We carry things at or near waist level, such as grocery sacks. We run up and down stairs which can loosen small guns in their holsters. We may engage in a fight, struggle or wrestling match before needing to draw the gun. We can trip and fall down. Some pistols can (and have) had their safeties disengaged just from daily activities. Once that happens, if the muzzle points to a body part, injury and/or disaster lurk close by.

Last edited:
I have a friend that works for the local PD and he was telling me on sunday that one of the departments off duty officers managed to have in accidental discharge of his ruger lcp in his back pocket and cause minor damage to his gluteus maximus

I'm with the gang on this one. When I carry a firearm, I like to keep the muzzle pointed AWAY from me. Call me superstitious.

I keep hearing the NRA in my ear with...

#1 ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.

I'm unaware of "the gang" reaching a consensus on this. These conversations have also been had before, many times.

While I fully believe and support the rules, there is also a point where you have to draw a line in the sand.

I believe the rule above mainly applies to guns held and handled, and which have an actual possibility of being fired. As such, where do you draw the line? Do you not wear shoulder holsters because they point the gun at people behind you? Do you not go above the first floor of a building because a belt holster points the gun at the floor and hence at people below the floor? How about a gun rack in the back of a truck- they point the gun at anything next to the truck. No one would ever carry IWB and especially not AIWB.

And that beat goes on. How far are you willing to go with it?

I have a friend that works for the local PD and he was telling me on sunday that one of the departments off duty officers managed to have in accidental discharge of his ruger lcp in his back pocket and cause minor damage to his gluteus maximus

I'd be interested in hearing the details. I could speculate that his finger went inside the trigger guard as he was attempting to take it out of the pocket. Although with the long trigger pull I would wonder why he didn't catch it and stop before it reached the break point. Can you possibly get the specifics?

Bill- don't you think both of those examples are on the extreme side of things and unlikely to happen to your average person carrying with safe gear?

But a gun worn on the body is not isolated and "by itself". The human body is dynamic and moves. It bends, twists & moves. The body encounters external forces from time to time, such as bumping a table, chair or car door. We stand up and sit down often, get in and out of cars often. We carry things at or near waist level, such as grocery sacks. We run up and down stairs which can loosen small guns in their holsters. We may engage in a fight, struggle or wrestling match before needing to draw the gun. We can trip and fall down. Some pistols can (and have) had their safeties disengaged just from daily activities. Once that happens, if the muzzle points to a body part, injury and/or disaster lurk close by.

If you're going to go this far in your interpretation, see my comments above- are you going to isolate yourself from civilization? If you're truly worried about these things happening, stay home or just don't ever carry a gun out in public. There is reasonable, and there is reasonable. How far are you going to go?

the off duty officer told my friend that he was getting ready to get into his truck and he had it in his blackhawk pocket holster and he went to take the holster out of his right rear pocket to put in the center console of his truck before he got in the truck when trying to remove the gun and holster, the holster became lodged in his rear pocket he tugged on it when doing so it caused the lcp to go off...... I believe when he was trying to remove the pistol his finger engaged the trigger causing him to have a negligent discharge... but that's just my opinion im sure hes learned his lesson now tho

Last edited:
AH.74 - You asked.

I'm responding to your comments, to wit:

To use your rhetorical logic, if you're just sitting there, then you're not actually doing anything, but then, that can hardly be called "carrying" either.

I can have my Glock AIWB at 2:00 and be perfectly safe. As long as I'm not playing with the trigger, and I CAN'T while it's properly holstered, there is no chance of a discharge. That's what I'm saying.

You're the first person to use the acronym "AIWB" and I'm not getting the "A" or how it's significantly different than "IWB". Maybe I'm missing something.

However, you insist that your Glock is "perfectly safe" because, simply "it's properly holstered". I'm sure that officer Christmas shopping never thought his gun would discharge either. Yes, we do accept some risk, but only after consciously and carefully evaluating it. But to blindly state that a gun will not [ever] go off in a holster is a delusion.

Again, this gets back to the real world where the gun is attached to a body which is in frequent motion. Some of those motions may allow a safety to be disengaged, leaving the wearer at higher risk. I've experienced it first hand. Some subsequent event -- like falling against a pegboard or being pushed into a dense hedge -- may then exert enough force through the holster to move the trigger. Those are not terribly extreme incidents, IMO. I've seen a fair number of altercations end up in bushes, hedges, barbed wire and rocky highway shoulders. It doesn't take a mathematician to figure out the odds of something snagging the trigger are not astronomical.

What is "safe gear"? I prefer a thumb break holster for the retention security and most are made of quality leather. Others eschew them as "slow" and unnecessary with tension screw adjustments and boned holsters. Open top holsters may be fine for some and fine for some applications, but not for any kind of strenuous physical activity or being in a crowd of people.[1] To me, safe means Glocks[2] in Kydex or thermoplastic holsters; or holsters with a hard shield around the trigger area.

1. With an unloaded gun, climb four flights of stairs urgently. At the top, reverse direction and scrambled down the stairs as fast as you can safely. Odds are 2-3 in guns will fall out before the bottom of the stairs or be so loose it can be plucked out with two fingers.
2. And Smith & Wesson's M&P pistols without an external safety.

Back