Hogs...it's been a long time coming...

That's a LOT of hogs! Shows how fast they can reproduce.

That's also some really amazing hunting!

You've been busy and with iron sights too, great job. I also take quite a few hogs each year, the back straps and hind quarters go to the freezer, the rest becomes bait for other vermin and hogs.

I actually don't eat a lot of the pork, but my wife can make an awesome meal out of the backstrap in a crock pot. I occasionally throw a leg or two into the smoker and they come out really tender and good too.
I usually just take the rear legs...and occasionally a backstrap or two and throw them in the freezer. A gun club I belong to has some people that appreciate the pork and I haul some coolers full of frozen legs to them on shoot days. Some of the local folks want some too on occasion and I manage to give a lot of it away.
I'm sure the buzzards and coyotes appreciate the meals also...

this is a great thread. keep it up as long as you can. in fact, if you get a side kick to do the guttin' and skinnin' you'd likely have a bit more fun.

Hey congrats Stony. I have killed more hogs than I can count but I can promise you my body count cannot hold a candle to yours. I wish I had a big enough piece of properties or number of properties that I could hunt. I still have decent action on my parents cattle ranch but nowhere near what you experience. But congrats again I know you have been counting down for awhile.

979....I sometimes wish I had a little more open area to hunt like you guys have down in your area. I have a few open areas to hunt, but 100 yd. shots are about max. in any of them. This time of year especially, the undergrowth is so thick you sometimes can't see over 30 yds or so in some of the areas. I keep some traps in those areas, and try to bait them in the open areas to shoot.

This is probably the biggest hog I've taken. He was a real project to get out of the trap and probably the toughest one I've seen. He was shoving the trap around so violently I shot him from about 20 ft. away with a . 40 ca. pistol. After the first shot into the chest, he virtually threw the trap off him...after which I ran to my truck, which was nearby and retrieved a .44 mag S&W I had in there. Three more shots into the chest later, he fell over onto the trap.
I decided to make a head mount from him, and after skinning out the head, I found an old bullet hole right in the center of his forehead. He must have been shot there when pretty young, as the bullet had caused his spinal column at the base of his skull to grow off center some.

Back