Hog Hunting

Status
Not open for further replies.
My point is that if you go out under gunned, you will eventually lose a hog. Period. Treat 'em with some respect as the big game animal they are. That doesn't apply to where they are a nuisance. Shoot 'em with what you've got and kill all you can.

Having personally witnessed a 7mm mag round bounce off, a 165 Sierra GameKing out of a .300 Weatherby splash off the shield and having shot one a LOT with a 22-250 I'll stick to the tried and true deep penetrating large caliber stuff. I try not to make my game animals suffer needlessly. You do what you want.

My point is that if you go out under gunned, you will eventually lose a hog. Period. Treat 'em with some respect as the big game animal they are. That doesn't apply to where they are a nuisance. Shoot 'em with what you've got and kill all you can.

Having personally witnessed a 7mm mag round bounce off, a 165 Sierra GameKing out of a .300 Weatherby splash off the shield and having shot one a LOT with a 22-250 I'll stick to the tried and true deep penetrating large caliber stuff. I try not to make my game animals suffer needlessly. You do what you want.

This is the point I was trying to make....We give $20 bounties on pigs....U shoot it in the gut..yes..it runs off and dies..but we need em down quick....If they don't go down quick..they will be in deep brush soon....I have seen pigs shot multiple times with an AR or SKS..some still ran....The first shot should put down any pig(if a good shot)..but the rest of the group is running....Plus a smaller type pig can't take the abuse a big heavy boar can....

Having personally witnessed a 7mm mag round bounce off, a 165 Sierra GameKing out of a .300 Weatherby splash off the shield

That's some amazing eyesight seeing some amazing things.

I am sure you recovered both the hogs and the bullets, right?

I guess someday I'll have to strip the "shield" off of a hog and do some experimentation with it. Maybe they just don't make a 300 Weatherby like they used to? Given the fact that a 300 would probably defeat any ballistic vest, that must have been some tough hog! I guess this guy from a few nights ago must have been a wimp.....he dropped in his tracks with a .55 fmj out of a 223 @ 100 yds

Hey, OS, you got a Photon boar. Good for you!

Are you sure he was dead? I keep reading about much more powerful bullets just bouncing off shields left and right. ;)

Having personally witnessed a 7mm mag round bounce off, a 165 Sierra GameKing out of a .300 Weatherby splash off the shield

Not to switch livestock but bulls%^$.

Of course if I tell my wife this she might let me get that Westley or Holland double rifle in Gibbs, Rigby, Nitro or something similar. I'm thinking she's probably going to tell me to shoot for the head or put more powder in the loads though. Stay tuned, daddy might be about to get another piece of iron.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back