Hog hunters - do you carry a backup?

I do but haven't used it. This year I'll be handgun hunting with my SBH Hunter in 45 Colt. Something about 315 grains or hard cast moving 1300 fps has me gitty about piggy hunting again. :D

No, that is a bear myth. Really? I was kidding.

Right, but it did bring up a good facet to keep in mind and that is that wounded, scary, mad hogs don't always charge the closest potential threat or don't always stop with just the closest. Sometimes, they just go after whatever is in the direction they are pointing.

9mm pistol
never needed it as a backup yet.
have taken hogs with it though.

its an interesting few moment after i shoot a hog.
Not the hog I've shot, but its travelling companions. Mayhem ensues until they clear the area.

I spent a couple hrs. bass fishing late this afternoon at a small lake. I normally carry a pistol wherever I go in the woods. Luckily one water moccasin waited for me to go the truck and get my S&W 629 that I have been carrying around lately. It wandered out in the water from under the dock where I was fishing. I no sooner got it shot and pulled it from the water and cut it's head off, than one a foot longer (4 ft) came out from under the same dock. A .44 special through it's head took the fight out of it quick.
Fishing in the south can be lots of fun...

we hunt hogs in Mitchell County, TX. Nobody carries any sort of backup firearm. My rifle is similar to yours, AR15 in 6.5 Grendel, what else do you need?

You know, sometimes a rifle isn't very convenient in a close quarters situation. That is part of the reason why having something smaller is sometimes a very good idea.

Pistols are especially useful for up close work, when you come face to face with a hog that you are looking for, but didn't know he was there until it was too late. This guy obviously had neither and he paid the price for it...
http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4366586#Post4366586

Even worse, the buddy with the rifle wasn't too quick to render aid when needed.

I usually always carry a sidearm of some sort but its not carried for "hog back up" If I was going to it would be my 45 acp.

Rifle head shots are the only way to go on a hog if possible.... they drop right in their tracks. I have not had a head shot hog go more than 5 feet from where it was hit.

You should be good with an AR-10. I use a Stevens bolt action 30-30 so I carry a .357 revolver as back up. Also, do you have a buddy you trust with you? That goes a long way as well.

If you'll be hunting high fence or on a paid hog hunt you'll probably never leave the truck or be in an elevated stand. So you don't need a back up but if you'll be in the woods with them anything can happen. And for those that say a lot or myths. They haven't hunted a lot. Hogs are the baddest North American animal we have. If you want one step further , wrestle a wild alligator.

How do you collect the hog if you never leave the truck or stand?

In a canned hunt, the guide goes and gets the hog, cleans it, and gives you the cooler full of meat. Real girlie man hunting there.

Hogs are mostly afraid and run away in random directions. Occasionally striking random objects.... Sometimes the random object is the hunter.

They are quite aggressive when captured or cornered. So I advise shooting them with a rifle and get your eye out of the scope quickly and apply the safety.
Especially in a group if pigs... It's an exciting time after the shot and you want to be paying attention

In many years of hunting hogs I've never had one charge and attack me.
I've had hogs run by me in their attempt to escape and they think I was just another tree in the way. Unless they are cornered they'll run away from you, not towards you.

I always carry a sidearm when hunting. It's mostly for aggressive snakes and to apply the coup de grace on downed hogs. These days it's usually a Ruger Single Six in 22 Magnum. It also provides comfort against 2 legged predators.

When going into brushes to follow a wounded hogs I just grab the short barrel 12gauge shotgun loaded with slugs or the 45-70 lever gun. In close quarters short long gun with sufficient power is what I want to have to make sure the hogs goes down immediately.

I dont hog hunt, but whenever I deer hunt I have a sidearm. Why? Why not is a better question if you ask me. Its better to have it and not need it to need it and not have it.

My hunting buddies always call me paranoid, but they are coming around.

Back