Hog hunters - do you carry a backup?

Hiker 1

For you folks that hunt Russian wild boar - I am going on a hunt in Texas in October. I've never hunted pig before.

Do you all carry a backup handgun? I'll be using my AR-10 in .308, so I will have follow up shots if I need them.

Not needed with the kind of firepower you are bringing. And by-the-way, the hogs you will be hunting in TX aren't Russian unless they are on a fenced property (i.e. canned hunt). They'll be ordinary piney rooter feral hogs.

Contrary to what some of the TV producers would have you think, hogs very rarely pose a threat to a hunter. You are more likely to be attacked by a dog while walking in the park.

I carry a backup, but not for more firepower against hogs, but for personal security in general. Sometimes a pistol is just a lot easier to deploy than a rifle.

Also, pistol ammo may be a lot cheaper to use on a downed, wounded hog than shooter another round of .308 hunting ammo into it.

Well... I always carry a handgun, but when I go hunting, I carry a S&W Modek 66 2 1/2" snub in a OWB holster.

Good tips, all.

I'll have my Glock .40 with me anyway for CC when not hunting, so I might as well carry it during the hunt as well.

No back up and no primary... Just a couple curr dogs and a bulldog... My only "backup" is a Buck 110 folder...

Brent

I live in Texas and hunt hogs almost daily. I carry a handgun with me often..usually a .40 caliber something depending on whatever I happen to pick up that morning. I have killed a lot of them with handguns, most of which were in traps. The handgun is mostly carried for just basic security reasons though, as I'm out in the woods by myself often. If nothing else they give you a sense of security in the boonies.
Don't worry about a hog attack though, and don't believe any of that crap you see on the tv to add excitement to the shows.

But do pay heed to first hand accounts... Hogs can and do run through hunters and dogs slinging their head as they pass hoping to cause injury...

Anyone who says they don't has limited experience with close proximity contact with feral swine or they just been lucky which not everyone will be....

Hogs kill hundreds of hunting dogs per year and deal out severe injury to human hunters many times per year... Most hunters avoid injury by hiking up a nearby tree...

Brent

If I get charged, I just have to be able to outrun my buddy, right?

No, that is a bear myth. You can find videos on Youtube where hogs will run by one person and strike another. I think sometimes they get target fixation like some people do.

3 weeks ago a friend shot a pig too high and a little too far back. He only hit one lung and the blood trail was very sparse. He didn't bring a pistol either. Since I did have a pistol I got to take point on what turned out to be an hour and a half tracking expedition. We were in some really dense stuff. The pig was still alive when we got close to it so I crawled in closer and finished it off.

My friend brings a pistol now.

And after all that he admitted he had been watching pig attack videos on youtube and was really worried we'd get charged... :rolleyes:

The "mean hog" stories are more myth than reality. If there is any danger it will likely be a case of hunting them with dogs and wading into the middle of the foray. This is normally the case if either a dog or hunter is injured by hog. Anything will defend itself and if I had a bunch of dogs chewing on my butt, I would fight back as well. I have killed over 300 hogs in the past 3 years both in the open and in traps, so I have a little experience with them.

Last edited:
Absolutely! We hunted them day and night with and without dogs. Those hogs sometimes take you crazy places. In the open you really don't need a BU but in some thickets you can't swing a rifle very well.

I would recommend a .357 or larger.....preference on larger, like .44 mag w/ hard cast bullets. Should you find your hog wounded in thick cover you want a bullet that will penetrate and put him down. Certainly a .22 between the eyes works fine in controlled conditions, but as I said, things can get crazy with hogs. :eek:

Most of my hog hunting is done with a .50 muzzleloader; my shots are picked carefully. Handguns are not allowed on the huge federal property i often hunt. My backup there is an old G96 hunting knife.

Yeah, a wounded boar hog can hurt you: For that matter, so can a sow. But they ain't rhinos.

Back