Hiring 300 more AFT agents

Status
Not open for further replies.
Administrator Hat On:
Been watching this thread for obvious reasons. I'd like to thank the great majority of Members for remaining civil in a potentially contentious debate. You give us reason to hope for conciliation.
Administrator Hat Off.

Member Hat On:
While I might argue, as others have, with the extensive tools given to BQ's agency by the politicians and Administrators, I consider Benton an ally. When guys like him leave the field of Law Enforcement, who will we be left with?

One of the key prerequisites to winning a War (whether violent or idealogical), is proper identification of the Enemy. Bad LEO's (national or local) are an a clear minority... they have no more in common with guys like Benton Quest than with any other citizen who values freedom and self determination. They are the enemies of all of us.
Rich

I have no quarrel with good people in law enforcement,federal or other. We need them and their agencies would be worse without them.
I guess what bothers me the most is that the abuses happen time and time again and instead of heads rolling it is business as usual in almost all cases.A lot of the people get promoted etc.
In an organization people usually do what is expected or at worst what they know they can get away with.And therein lies the problem.

------------------
Better days to be,

Ed

Benton,
Just a quick, short note of admiration for the way you have kept to the high ground here.

Now, to "muck around" a bit -

All:

Nobody in their right mind could state that abuses OF and BY LEOs don't occur. That bothers all of us. However, it is the cover-ups and lies by the LEOs that bother me. I expect lies from the lawbreakers! ;) But LEOs hold themselves up as representing a higher standard than "civilians" (speaking in "averages") and typically fulfill that standard admirably.

But when the few disgrace the badge by wanton violence, frequently against helpless victims who are held or bound by other officers, the good LEOS who disapprove frequently can not intervene or implement corrective action. That's wrong.

And to imply that rape, and wanton destruction of private property (especially after the "suspects" are secured) are done to promote safety of anyone is assinine and insulting to all concerned.

[This message has been edited by Dennis (edited July 05, 1999).]

There was an interesting event here in nashville, I believe about 3 years ago. A man went to the airport and had several thousand dollars on him (I think it was 8K), he had the money confiscated----Ive heard it was just returned this year. I dont know why they even suspected the guy enough to know what he had on him......but he was at that time a landscaper and claimed to be going to tx for to purchase plants for his business.....if anyone remembers or knows more about this situation, please post it--this situation has always puzzled me.....tks fubsy.

This was a case that was well publicized in a Pittburg Newpaper multipart series on property forfeiture. The article claimed that airline employees are offered rewards for tips on passengers that fit certain "profiles", including payments in cash or large amounts of cash.

Property forfeiture abuses are growing as agencies increase their dependence on revenues from seizures. This is an area that deserves every bit as much attention as Second Amendment infringements.
Rich

Until the day comes when the American people confine the Federal Government to its proper place in the DC and Puerto Rico jurisdiction,we will keep being hassled by the tons of illegal corporate laws and the revenue gathers of those laws; the Federal, state and local police enforcers of those odious laws. Its all about shaking down the American public. From speeding tickets to confiscating citizens money, the corporatre state and its police enforcers make the mafia look like pikers. Of coarse the Feds and local boys dont bother the big wholesale heroin or cocaine dealers. THe governments,both local and Fed ,make big bucks allowing hard drugs to flow freely into America;especially since Nafta Treaty. A good earlier example is cooperation in Arkansas between Feds(Bush) and State(Clinton) during the big drug running out of Mena( Drugs coming in and weapons going out to Contras) The Founders would vomit if they saw this huge revenue gathering slave system and how the masses meekly comply.

It is no surprise to me that we are losing the "War on Drugs". Most departments depend heavily on forfeited and confiscated money and property for their operating budget.
Winning the war would severely cut their funds,the size of their departments and maybe even their income.

------------------
Better days to be,

Ed

OK...Here's another firestorm....Here in Missouri any funds we seize go towards the state and are then funneled to the schools....we don't see a penny of it. It does not therefore enhance our revenue or help our budget in anyway.

Instead, our department receives "extra" money buy knocking out the gold teeth of our "victims" with the butts of our assault weapons.......

Benton; If Im wrong tell me.Im not accusing
you or your department.The price of gold is down now anyhow.
Am I wrong about the money going to other departments?
It makes sense to me that if WE were really serious about stopping the drug trade it could be done.I do know that the "drug sweeps" that I know about are usually the same six low level sales people and no higher ups.
Im not anti law enforcement. I do expect them to be honest.

------------------
Better days to be,

Ed

Fubsy..

The man had a greenhouse/landscaping business in OK....he flew down to someplace in Texas twice a year to buy plants...and had been doing it for years (Its a smart move to buy direct from the grower or importer...you save about 100% :)). Anyway, someone at the airport tipped on him and the authorities arrested him and his money. They let him go and no charges were filed, but the money remained under arrest...I believe he finally got it back a year or so later and it cost him in legal fees around $6000 to get it back.

I meant those words....arrested the money...apparently under RICO statutes inanimate objects can be personified and subject to arrest. There was a similar story about a mom & pop air charter service...unbeknownst to mom and pop a drug courier had been hiring them. The Feds arrested the courier and the plane...took around 4 yrs to get the plane back...in the meantime pop died and the business went under (only the one plane) and mom had to sell it to cover legal expenses.

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"

Well, sorry to slide off the "high road", but hopefully my last comment will be taken with the humor that it was intended.

As far as seizure of assets, yes in other states the agencies making the seizure get to keep the proceeds. And...just like anything else, the system can and is abused by those with less than honerable intentions.

Before Missouri changed the law, there were indeed reports of departments seizing fine automobiles just because they had the remains of a roach in the ashtray. These situations brought about a great deal of negative media attention, for obvious reasons. The guilty parties were usually po-dunk departments that could have really used the revenue lift. I don't really think the abuses were rampant, but really one case is too many. Once again, bad apples spoiling it for the rest.

The feds can still seize property and money, and still do if they can prove the items have been used in an ongoing criminal enterprise.

Just like any other "tool", I'm sure it is misused from time to time, but media attention seems to have kept somewhat of a lid on it.

Anybody want to buy a new Porshe 911? Only problem is, it doesn't have a clear title....

Ed. There is no way to stop the Drug trade.

It is kind of like all Serbs and all Albanians getting together to hold hands and sing "We are the World".

We can 'jick' around with the demand and supply sides, but there will always be a demand and supply.

We can put temporary dents in it at the expence of civil liberties and tax dollars and that is about it.

Remember Prohibition. The Drug War logic is the same and is just as useless and violence causing.

Besides, LE, legislators, corrections, tax collectors, judges, lawyers, countries, and drug dealers have a vested monetary interest in it continuing all ready.

The key is everybody is making money now. The state and its personnel that enforce the state's rules are given power and monetary incentives. And the sellers have a more valuable product because its supply is so difficult.

Prichard;Using thatsame logic we should quit worrying about guns being outlawed.

------------------
Better days to be,

Ed

BQ, I'd also like to thank you for your input here, having a valid and well stated opposing view is always welcome as it is helpful.

BUT! (I bet you knew that was coming!) I think the main problem here is we're talking apples and oranges for the most part. Since you and your friends are personally involved and upstanding LEOs, you of course wish that you had ALL the power to do whatever is required to accomplish the honest performance of your job in absolute safety. That is certainly a fair wish!

But similar to spending one's life in the military, absolute safety is not always going to be possible, at least not if there are to be any safeguards whatsoever for the liberties of law abiding and peaceable citizens. The job you've chosen, like a life in the Army, entails certain risks, and the people who pay your salary expect to be able to act as your boss, not to be run over lke dirt in order to allow you to remain absolutely safe. That does NOT mean waking up at 3 AM to discover 20 people with full-auto and silenced weapons destroying your home and terrifying your family because they couldn't read an address correctly, and yet that has happened. And even that is not my real fear.

Having considered long and hard many years ago when I first started hearing about this kinda thing happening, I decided that my only rational response, as a law abiding citizen, to my door crashing down at 3 AM was to come out shooting, not chit-chatting. As you said, but with a different outcome, as a normal citizen who's doing nothing wrong I have nothing to fear from LEOs, therefore that is quite clearly NOT who is beating my door down, whether they SAY they are or not. If my lights don't work because the power has been cut, I drop the pistol and pick up the AR with the 30-round clip full of steel core, get my wife behind me and kill everything in front of me. That seems to me like a rational response, since I have nothing to fear from LEOs.

Now, if somehow it IS a LE unit such as you describe, I will die. That concept bothers me significantly, I consider it much more than a minor inconvenience. Given events in recent years, I consider that fear very remote BUT STILL POSSIBLE!! I would prefer it was totally impossible, translating to if the meth lab (or whatever) can't be taken any other way, that's too bad. Beating down doors at 3 AM is police-state tactics, and should be eliminated completely IMHO. If those doors need to be beaten down, at least do it in the daylight, when I can look out the window and discover 20 marked police cars, drop my guns and surrender. If you consider that less safe for your group, I'm real sorry, but you chose a profession that involves risk. I chose one too, and during a period of over 20 years there were two periods when I thought it might be a real good idea to dispense one or two 20-megaton nukes rather than keeping my tender young butt in harm's way for an extended time (just happened again in Kosovo, but I'm no longer involved), but I also understood that was not how our country functions! IMHO, neither are the police-state tactics you describe.

For DC: you said you were libertarian in most things, but draw the line at meth labs, then proceeded to describe the best reasons to just STAY libertarian on them. If meth production/possession/sale were not illegal, (libertarian concept) then it could be monitored to comply with EPA laws, safety rules, etc., and all your objections would disappear instantly, as major commercial labs would produce it.

On the subject of Waco, there is one thing I have not heard brought up here. I live only 50 miles or so away and watched the unfolding story with rapt attention, and still couldn't ever figure out what happened for years afterward, it was so confusing. Koresh was suspected of sexually abusing little girls and boys, but there was not a shred of evidence so we still don't know whether that was even true. But we gotta do SOMETHING about that prevert, right? So we get the ATF to go do that something, but on what pretense? AH. Somebody heard what sounded like full-auto fire from the compound, so here come 100 ATF goons in full battle regalia to make an arrest, confiscate the incriminating evidence.

One small problem with that scenario, which I haven't seen addressed here. The Davidian compound had a class-3 dealer as one of the residents, a fact the ATF absolutely HAD to know, they monitor such people rather closely. And were there full-auto weapons found? Yes, there were, but they didn't show up for quite a while, since that dealer was away at a gun show at the time of the assault, and the weapons in question were properly and legally stored in a gun safe which had to be broken into in order to find them, no one present in the compound was able to get to them during the conflict. Exactly correctly, completely legally and according to every rule extant, and licensed by the ATF itself.

Also, let's remember that those were not bulldozers as someone suggested which rammed a building full of women and children, they were the Army's front-line battle tanks from Ft. Hood. The commanding general there REFUSED to supply them, was overruled by Washington, REFUSED to allow his troops (trained in their use) to operate them (blatantly illegal but demanded by the FBI nonetheless), and OH! my GOD!!! REFUSED to supply the FBI with live ammunition for the cannon and .50 machine guns thereon, a demand I have still never heard explained. What exactly were they going to do with shells for that cannon? If that debacle had ended up allowing any sort of a hero, my vote would have been for that general, though it would not surprise me to learn that his refusal to "cooperate" ended his career. The government's actions and attempted actions were nothing short of criminal, yet if any heads rolled I never heard of it. Sickening. Absolutely sickening.

Larry P.

Ed. Surely you don't think the if we have a Gun War, that there will be no guns in the hands of non-state affiliated people. Would I have a gun if guns were outlawed? Yes. Would the sources of those guns be the same type of person that is in the drug trade now? Most probably. Would that gun cost more because of illegality? Most probably.

Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely!

Federal and State Forfeiture Laws finance both Police Departments and Prosecutor's Offices Nationwide.

There is definitely a financial incentive involved. The Drug War and Gun War is big business involving Big Budgets.

Both the ATF and the DEA have a financial incentive to keep the war going at the expense of law abiding citizens. After all, there are only so many clear cut criminals out there to hunt.

Dr. Quest and all of the anti-drug bunch: It ain't your business what I put into my body. It's that simple. Yes, if I get so stoned, high, drunk or buzzed off ingesting whatever chemical and thereby cause injury to others, it is still my fault. It doesn't matter if it's pot (ooh, scary), beer or Suphedrin. Unless I have the hemp growing in my front yard next to the street, law enforcement is going to have to violate my right to privacy to find out if I have it. Again, what I put into my body is my business, and is my right as guaranteed in the Bill of Rights. Dr. Benjamin Rush, signer of the Declaration of Independence, wanted specifically to add medical freedom to the Bill of Rights, because he had the foresight to understand that eventually anything not explicitly protected in the BoR would be criminalized. Still, given how the rest of the BoR is being trashed, it probably wouldn't have done us any good.

To get to the point, Benton, don't think all of us feel comforted when you tell us your camo outfits and full-automatics are for fighting the war on drugs. Ask yourself this question: "Why is it that we can federally criminalize the use of some drugs without an amendment to the Constitution, yet it was necessary to amend the Constitution to ban alcohol?"

The war on drugs is being fought on American soil, against the American people. If we had not created the black markets by criminalizing drugs, we would not have the turf wars and their attendant violent crime. You'll notice that Budweiser and Miller rarely have shoot-outs over which company gets to have the official beer of the Indianapolis 500. Those darn free marketers.

The tragedies at Ruby Ridge and Waco were caused by the moronic methods used by the feds at the beginning of each. Koresh had invited ATF agents to come inspect his guns. Why did no one think of knocking on the front door and showing a warrant? Weaver was first entrapped, then given a false court date, then he purposely missed the date he had in order to make a point. Why did no one think of knocking on his door with a warrant? Yeah, we sure need 300 more ATF agents. Maybe one of the them took the "Advanced Preliminary Application of Digital Joints in Repeated Contact with Entry Blocking Device 101" class down in Quantico. Oh, I forgot, the FBI doesn't teach that, either.

Asset forfeiture is another symptom of a corrupt system. The goons say you're carrying too much money. You must be a drug dealer. Prove your innocence. Good luck getting the money back. Hey, lookee here, we "found" a joint under the "suspect's" car seat. And whaddayknow, it's a Mercedes, too. Better seize it. Don't tell me that joint was planted, tell it to the judge. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink.
"The guilty parties were usually po-dunk departments that could have really used the revenue lift." Well, why didn't you say so? I'm sure all of us would be willing to donate large sums of cash, automobiles and houses to small police departments in need of a revenue lift.

"All I was initially trying to say was, from my side of the badge it doesn't look that sinister." Benton Quest. I'll bet it doesn't. Perception is reality. Try it from the citizen's side for a change if you want to see what the view's like from here.

------------------
"All I ask is equal freedom. When it is denied, as it always is, I take it anyhow."

This is a great thread. Contentious issue; civilized debate. Unfortunately, the loading time is ponderous. I encourage it's continuation in a "Part Two" or split up into new threads.

I also encourage the most recent posters, including Larry P. and Ipecac, to use the "edit" feature and cut and paste their latest statements to the new thread(s).
Thanks all.
Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back