High End Handguns

PhotonGuy

I know it might not always be a good idea to splurge but I do particularly like high end handguns. Im talking about brands such as Nighthawk and Wilson Combat. I know a Ruger or a Glock might work just as well for you but if you've got the cash I see nothing wrong with getting a high end handgun if that's what you want to get.

The kids are out of the house.
No debt.
Low living overhead.
Fewer job / social commitments.
More cash on hand.
Love the smell of gunpowder in the morning, afternoon or night.

Because I can now afford anything I want?

Do it!
Why limit it to handguns?

I have no problem with that. To me a handgun is more tool than anything else and I'd be more likely to splurge on a rifle. But if you can afford it and enjoy it why not.

Well I did get a custom Nighthawk Predator. One of my splurges. I don't drive the most high end car but it gets me where I want to go, so instead I invest in a high end gun from time to time.

I am of the same mindset. Although, there are a lot of older/used handguns that are not so expensive. They will have the high end quality built in you don't see too often these days except in high end firearms.

When, I do sort of splurge it will often be on something I think will have future value or as might be stated collectability.

Here are some examples I have acquired over the last year:

1. S&W 1950 .45 Target Model (Light Barrel) "Pre-Model 26" - Only 2768 of these revolvers were manufactured.

2. Remington Rand Model M1911A1 in about 95% condition with all correct components.

3. S&W Model 29 (no dash) .44 Magnum (Dirty Harry) - Revolver is in unfired condition. It comes with it original clamshell Presentation Case with tools. The gun also wears its factory "Coke" stocks/grips that are also in as new condition.

I have no problem with that. To me a handgun is more tool than anything else and I'd be more likely to splurge on a rifle. But if you can afford it and enjoy it why not.
Me too, I'd love to have a vintage M-1, M1 carbine or M-14..Maybe a Sharp's or a vintage Henry..WW2 Enfield or Mauser

To go above what is considered mainstays of production firearms it becomes more about pride of ownership, if that rocks your boat so be it.

I try to buy more gun than I think I can afford but still in the production gun market .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im more a handgun person but I've splurged on rifles too, I got a Wilson Combat Paul Howe Tactical Carbine in 5.56 its a beauty.

To go above what is considered mainstays of production firearms it becomes more about pride of ownership, if that rocks your boat so be it.
You can say the same thing about cars, from time to time you see people with really high end cars, far more than what you would need to get you from point A to point B, but aside from cars generally being much more expensive than guns another main difference is that a car might last you ten or fifteen years if you take good care of it, a gun will last many lifetimes and can be passed down through the family for generations.

I'm in the same boat now. A few new guns appeal to me, but if I am going to spend north of $1k-$1.5K, I'll pass on new stuff and look at older collectibles. Unfired or barely fired safe queens can make my wallet see daylight.

Wilson/Nighthawk et al hold some curiosity but reading how finicky they can be with ammo, I turn away. Spending $3k+ and still have reliability issues turns me off. I would however forgive a Coonan having the same issues. Not saying it makes sense, but I a Coonan to me is a niche safe queen and not a carry/combat gun.

main difference is that a car might last you ten or fifteen years if you take good care of it, a gun will last many lifetimes and can be passed down through the family for generations.

While this is often the observed result, it's not due to inherent "quality" or time, alone. It's a matter of USE.

Everything mechanical wears with use. Cycles of operation. Mileage, Round Count, however you measure it.

Guns seem to last lifetimes, generations even, because with very rare exceptions, no one owner actually uses (shoots) a gun enough to wear it out.

Just to pick a number, lets say 100,000. Lets say that at 100,000miles your car is worn out, and at 100,000 rounds your pistol is worn out. (not any relation to reality, just a number to work with)

A person might take 10 years to put 100,000 miles on their car. Another person might do it in 2-3 years. It might take several generations of shooters to put 100,000 rounds through a gun. Or it might take high volume competition shooter just a single year.

I remember an article from the later 80s (or so maybe the early 90s..) forget who the interview was with, but he was one of the very top "action" shooters, and he said he wore out 3 1911s a year in practice. (and worn out means the FRAME is worn out, to the point it can't be fixed).

The interviewer asked how much he shot in practice every year, and he said "about 80,000". Interviewer askes "80,000 rounds?", and he said, "no, dollars..." think about that, 80,000 DOLLARS worth of ammunition is quite a bit..

Nothing wrong with getting high end guns at all, just don't confuse a high price with high quality. They aren't always the same thing.

Wilson/Nighthawk et al hold some curiosity but reading how finicky they can be with ammo, I turn away. Spending $3k+ and still have reliability issues turns me off. I would however forgive a Coonan having the same issues. Not saying it makes sense, but I a Coonan to me is a niche safe queen and not a carry/combat gun.

Well I've got all three. I would say the Coonan is close in quality to the Wilsons and the Nighthawks.

44Amp proposes Churchwald's Systems Approach. But using that logical and pragmatic approach suggests a plain car will get you from Point A to Point B just as well as a Ferrari.

What is the proposed use of the piece?
What are the alternatives (other brands, models)?

I would never buy a high end firearm for self defense. Remember if you use it, it gets confiscated by the police and held in evidence until you are criminally cleared of wrongdoing. So it's tossed onto a shelf atop of other things and later has other pieces of evidence tossed on top of it. Kiss your high lustre scratch free finish goodbye.

That said, if I had the disposable capital, I would buy a Manurin or Korth. Neither would be used for self-defense (there are more utilitarian firearms for that). It becomes not a matter of protection but one of collecting; at which point the Churchwald approach is inapplicable.

I'd better shut up now.

If you can afford and appreciate any high quality, high performance object, cars, guns, etc, its worth it

I would never buy a high end firearm for self defense. Remember if you use it, it gets confiscated by the police and held in evidence until you are criminally cleared of wrongdoing. So it's tossed onto a shelf atop of other things and later has other pieces of evidence tossed on top of it. Kiss your high lustre scratch free finish goodbye.

In this reality...finish on the handgun would be of little consequence regardless of the criminal/civil outcome.

So, personally, I would never let that keep me from using a high end gun of any type for self defense.

A gun is a tool and I like nice tools -- yeah I can, and have used lots of cheaper to downright cheap ratchets but a well made USA one feels better and that is worth something to me.

I apply the same to guns. That being said there is a sweet spot of the new or barely used market where you get almost all of the nice factor at a more "reasonable price". To focus on the 1911 since Nighthawk and Wilson were mentioned I have a number of 1911's in the 1800-2800 dollar range new or used that are very nice, and I would be hard pressed to want for more other than something even more fancy finish wise in these guns though as well all know one could easily spend 4k plus on one. Most I bought used / barley fired, they might not be the EXACT configuration I wanted but for a good deal I can live with it. If i want something odd ball then I have to cough money for new... i.e. I want a stainless 10mm bob tail commander without checkering. Got one. But it was new.

Put another way most of us that like adult beverages can tell a user grade / well spirit from something top tier, but above some level of the upper stuff either I lack the skill to tell or all you are getting is a crystal bottle and a wooden box that the juice comes in.

If your life is on the line, cheap is not the way to go. There's a $1000 bullpup 9mm pistol I'm actually hoping to get a chance try out.

Last edited:
Back