Heritage Arms Rough Rider

I bought my first RR around 6-7 years ago. Bought a second one 2 years ago or so. They both work great. No they're not a Ruger, but they work and mine are pretty darn accurate. Just as much as any of my Ruger center fire revolvers. I don't think anyone buys one with the intent of being a family heirloom. Some just want a cheap fun gun.

All that to say . . .

All that to say . . . .

Get one.

You won't regret it.

I've owned one for about ten years.

Life is good.
Prof Young

9UhSSw1.jpg

Late to the thread but I found a Heritage Rough Rider today at Sportsman's Warehouse. I didn't know I needed one but after feeling it I just had to take it home.

Walked out the door with the RR and 2 boxes of CCI Quiet for under $100. I'll take it to the range tomorrow and wring it out.

I've only had mine for a few years, but it's been great. It rivals my Ruger MKIII 22/45 target model as far as accuracy. It does not leave me wanting for a single six.

Got to shoot it today and I'm a happy camper. Used CCI Quiets, Blazers and Federal HV, all worked great. Sights are dead on. I only played at 10 and 15 yards but I'm very pleased. I should have bought one years ago.

Awesome, AzShooter! Make sure to check some of the screws. The only problem I ever had with mine was some screws coming loose. My ejector shroud fell off. Fortunately they were contained, so not lost. A little blu thread locker and no problems since. Enjoy the RR.

I have had my Heritage going on 10 yrs. Still runs great. They make fun plinkers. Quality is much better than I thought it would be. Personally I would not pay 5 times the price for a Single Six, unless I was really devoted to shooting one. The Heritage for me, gives a lot of fun just pinking cans etc. I also like shooting Magnum rounds out of it. I would like to get the new Barkeep model that is out now.

Last edited:
Personally I would not pay 5 times the price for a Single Six, unless I was really devoted to shooting one.
As you say, that is a personal observation :) . I use my Single Six far more than the RR... And the SS rides in my range bag for every outing.... BTW, I still have my RR tucked away that I had bought on a whim years ago. I shot it enough to break the pawl spring finally and then replaced the spring and shot it some more (only .22LR) . So it isn't like I never used it :) . But once you shoot a nice perfectly tuned Single-Six that shots well, the o' RR and the Wrangler have no appeal what-so-ever. Of course that is my personal observation :) . I do wish Ruger had a small frame six shot New Vaquero .22LR in their line-up... I would pick that up as I am partial to fix sighted six-guns.

As you say, that is a personal observation :) . I use my Single Six far more than the RR... And the SS rides in my range bag for every outing.... BTW, I still have my RR tucked away that I had bought on a whim years ago. I shot it enough to break the pawl spring finally and then replaced the spring and shot it some more (only .22LR) . So it isn't like I never used it :) . But once you shoot a nice perfectly tuned Single-Six that shots well, the o' RR and the Wrangler have no appeal what-so-ever. Of course that is my personal observation :) . I do wish Ruger had a small frame six shot New Vaquero .22LR in their line-up... I would pick that up as I am partial to fix sighted six-guns.
Just curious, what to you mean "rides in your range bag". Are you talking about Horseback into the wilderness? Or just that you are a fan of shooting them?

"rides in your range bag" -- What I mean is a bag that goes to the gun range, or camping, or day trip, etc... My single six is always found in pocket of that bag. So anytime I grab that bag, it rides/tags along :) . You won't ever find it in my safe gathering dust. Well, take that back, a couple of years ago when .22LR was scarce, I tucked it way and started using my reloadable .22s (.32 H&R Magnum revolvers) in it's place.

I've enjoyed my RR (the 9-shot 6.5" version) for what it is. I got the one with fixed sights for a more old-west shooting experience. (I have a Ruger MkIII and Browning Buckmark if I really want to try dialing in for accuracy).

I have no doubt the Ruger SS is a superior firearm, but for me, a .22 SA revolver is mostly a novelty anyway, the the RR scratches that itch.

I know the newish Ruger Wrangler draws comparisons to the RR but I'd heard/read multiple times that the RR has a better trigger, which is a priority for me. I'd like to try a Wrangler some time though.

I might have bought one if it wasn't for the goofy safety. That's a deal breaker for me. I looked at a Wrangler but the cerakote was a deal breaker. I ended up buying a used Single Six for a little more than the Wrangler.

I've enjoyed my RR (the 9-shot 6.5" version) for what it is. I got the one with fixed sights for a more old-west shooting experience. (I have a Ruger MkIII and Browning Buckmark if I really want to try dialing in for accuracy).

I have no doubt the Ruger SS is a superior firearm, but for me, a .22 SA revolver is mostly a novelty anyway, the the RR scratches that itch.

I know the newish Ruger Wrangler draws comparisons to the RR but I'd heard/read multiple times that the RR has a better trigger, which is a priority for me. I'd like to try a Wrangler some time though.

I just pulled out my Heritage and the trigger is a sweet crisp 2.8 lbs of pull with a Lyman digital. If I was going to buy another single six 22.cal it would definitely be a Heritage for the cost. It has proven itself. I would get one with a Birdeye gripe of the NEW BAR KEEP. Looks like a cool little 22.cal plinker and would make for a nice back pack 22.cal.and 22.magnum.

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/new-heritage-barkeep-22-revolver-sports-old-west-flair/387218

Last edited:
I literally bough a Rough Rider because I had 600 rounds of 22 that wouldn't cycle through my semi-auto Colt 1911 22 (Walther).

Having said that, it's been great to shoot. Surprisingly accurate.

I think the Rough Rider is a very good deal. They work well and if they don't Heritage will take care of you. I will admit I like a Colt Peacemaker .22 and a fixed sighted Single Six both better, But I could get a bunch of RRs for what those two would cost.

Back