Heritage Arms Rough Rider

They're fairly accurate, and $149 is a great price. Some "adjustments" to the front sight may be necessary.

Many will recommend saving up to buy a Ruger. But if you're like me, and you have no desire to spend $400+ on a .22 plinker (even if you had the money!) then the Rough Rider will do just fine.

There's no transfer bar safety though. It has a hammer block safety that is manually enabled/disabled. It looks a bit funny on the side; but on the plus side the gun makes that *click-click-tick-click* when you cock it.

Dan,

I was looking and almost purchased one of these last
week for a fun plinker at the range. I love SA revolvers.

Haven't made the purchase yet. If you get it let us all
know what you think.

I just got one today and took it to the range and put about 150 rounds through it. Fun little shooter IMO. Great price, shot everything I fed it and it was fairly accurate. I will need to adjust the sights somehow though, it shoots to the left. Plus my wife will be able to shoot it also.

I took the afternoon off from work and drove out to Cabela's to buy a Rough Rider .22 (on sale for $149) and when I got there they said they don't sell them in MN -- they just forgot to mention that in the ad this time.
cussing2.gif

only ever heard of one problem

i enjoy these pistols greatly both for the old cowboy type look and very impressive shooting/plinking however in my discussions with range friends one fella claimed that when he got it he was examining it and dry fired it a few times(probably alot of times) and it damage the cylinder and he had to have it repaired but i personally have nothing but great opinions of these weapons

. . .in my discussions with range friends one fella claimed that when he got it he was examining it and dry fired it a few times(probably alot of times) and it damage the cylinder and he had to have it repaired. . .

These are rimfire guns. They shouldn't be dry-fired at all.

heritage firearms

the roughrider pistol is not bad, however the customer service center at the company sucks. These people confirm to me why American made guns are crap, because their attitude is crap. I ordered one of their display cases, it was cheaply made and had the wrong foam insert. No apology, no help on how to rectify their screw up. Steer clear of these cowboys, but European.

These people confirm to me why American made guns are crap....
Heritage may be crap but it is silly beyond words to use your negative experience with them, some of the cheapest guns on the market, to damn the whole American firearms industry.

I own one in 17 hmr and it's good for what I got it for. Wanted a pistol to plink with in same caliber as my Savage Mako. Got a Ruger single 10 for .22 plinking.

Good bang for the low bucks IMO

Ancient but relevant thread.

I've a Rough Rider 9 banger with the 22LR & 22 WMR cylinders.

6.5", adjustable rear sights (highly recommended!), dayglo front. Cost under $200.

I bought this inexpensive handgun so that I can use cheap supersonic ammo to teach novices how to shoot, such that I don't have to use expensive subsonic ammo in my highly tuned Model 41s, Haemmerlis, Ruger MKIIs, etc.

If somebody drops this sucker? So what? Any of my pistols would bring a crying jag on!

It is a value. I keep it loaded with bird shot, and it has been deadly on kangaroo rats in my Arizona garage. :-] I just LOVE drawing down on those suckers.

They kick once or twice and are gone. Feed the vultures!

i enjoy these pistols greatly both for the old cowboy type look and very impressive shooting/plinking however in my discussions with range friends one fella claimed that when he got it he was examining it and dry fired it a few times(probably alot of times) and it damage the cylinder and he had to have it repaired but i personally have nothing but great opinions of these weapons
Stupid is as stupid does.

The Ruger MK IIs (and likely their successors) are the only 22 rimfires I know of that can be dry fired. I am NOT an expert on the subject; there may be a whole passel out there.

But the Rugers are the only ones where a factory tech has told me it is OK.

OP, remember that the real cost of shooting is the ammo. The cost of ammo will quickly dwarf the cost of the gun. The Ruger is worth the money; it is made of steel and will last, and be in your family, for generations. The Heritage is OK, but you will enjoy the Ruger more. Trust me. Looks like the state of MN maybe made your decision for you, at any rate.

I would go with the Heritage. And be sure to get the Magnum cylinder. You won't shoot the Magnums as much, but when you do, it is a whole lot of fun.I have had one since 2009 had has held up very well. Much better construction than folks give them credit for. Accuracy is fine. After all these are not target guns and they do a good joy of knocking down tin cans and spent shotgun shells.

14 year old thread.....

Would be valuable to hear what many of the original posters - from back in 2006 to 2012 - have to report about how their RR has held up.

As the owner of an ancient H&R "Convertible" (.22lr & .22Mag) - I cat attest to the virtues of a lower end .22lr/.22mag.
One thing about my H&R - it's got an outstanding S/A trigger. Worst D/A on the planet - - but - - great S/A.

OP, remember that the real cost of shooting is the ammo. The cost of ammo will quickly dwarf the cost of the gun. The Ruger is worth the money; it is made of steel and will last, and be in your family, for generations. The Heritage is OK, but you will enjoy the Ruger more. Trust me. Looks like the state of MN maybe made your decision for you, at any rate.
Wonder how the OP is doing since the last post he made 14 years ago!:D

14 year old thread.....

Would be valuable to hear what many of the original posters - from back in 2006 to 2012 - have to report about how their RR has held up
Mine is in that timeline, 2009 or 10. Seems to have held up well. Haven't shot in a while, but shortly after Ammogeddon, when 22 ammo was plentiful again it got a lot of range time. It did have to share some of it with the second one I bought a couple years ago. Liked the 6 1/2" one so much I bought a shorter barreled birdshead grip model

Mine's in that timeline too. Mine is still serviceable. I did have to replace the pawl spring once. Thing is, after I acquired my Single Six, the RR was put away. Haven't shot it in years. Might have to dig it out again this summer for fun.

Back