Henry honesty??

My experience with Henry Repeating Arms Company: I accidentally lost the front sight screw on my H001 so I telephoned the company in New Jersey. The President and CEO Anthony Imperato answered my call. He said he would send me a new screw free of charge. A few days later TWO screws arrived via first class mail. Second incident: My H001Y youth carbine, my favorite plinking rifle, developed a feeding problem. It would jam on the last round in the magazine. I emailed HRA and this time I worked with Kevin Maguire and a fellow named Dominick. Henry sent me a prepaid UPS shipping label with tracking number and asked me to ship them the rifle which has a lifetime warranty, even if you are not its original owner. Within a day of receiving the rifle HRA telephoned me and informed me they found a slight manufacturing defect in which their drill press slightly misaligned the mounting holes for the magazine tube and they would be sending me a new replacement rifle and asked me if I wanted to keep the stock and forearm from my original gun. In sum, I received the first rifle's wood a few days ago and I'm expecting the new rifle to arrive any day now. Oh, I mustn't forget to mention that the factory is also switching my Hi-Viz front and rear fiber optic sights from the old to the new gun. Now, THIS is what I call excellent customer service! All parts of the Henry rifles are grown or made in the USA, also. The factory turns out about a thousand rifles per workday and they are barely able to keep up with the demand especially because once you get a Henry you'll want more.

Yeah, hacks me off too, and I have actually heard some people talking who believe that crap. That dishonesty and plastic barrel bands and other parts, zinc receiver covers, etc pretty much made my mind up never to spend my money on a Henry. I will stick to older 39s and 9422s.

The plastic an zinc turned me off..so I never gave them a second thought....I'm happy with my 39's and 9422's also....

The receiver covers on Henry's economy models (those which are not brass) are made of an alloy called Zamak-5: For the doubters here's an article about the Zamak alloy. The receiver covers of the Henry H001 series and Golden Boys are Zamak-5:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zamak

Andy Wickstrom of Henry subcontractor Henry Wisconsin which produces the receiver covers and bands had this to say about their Zamak alloy:

"First, the metallurgical standard for this metal is Zamak 5. Inside of the Zamak 5 spec we maintain even tighter control of certain elements to further improve physical properties. Second, the metal is cast using the ultimate in high pressure die casting equipment. The power and speed of this process is impressive. The process used to control the quality of the product consists of countless variables that are finely tuned to produce the very best physical and cosmetic properties."

In addition, HRA has not been using any plastic parts for the last several years.

I've been looking at a lever action .22lr from them with the octagon barrel and have seen the 'own a piece of history' many times. It bugs me a little, but as long as the quality and craftsmanship is up to par with their statements it won't hinder me from buying one in the least.

They are fantastic rifles, 100% American made, and have the best customer service in the business. Mine is extremely accurate as well. IMO, there are no unhappy Henry owners in the world, and if there are, it's simply because they have not yet allowed Anthony to correct the problem.

I want a Henry 22 mag myself. And I want the blued one. I just can't seem to find one in stock. And whatever claims they make don't bother me at all. I am glad to hear they lost the plastic parts too.

I agree with Mike - get over it.

If everyone thought like the OP, then almost nobody would be buying guns.

Even Browning hasn't actually made their own guns, since 1885 or so.

AFAIK, the last men standing are at Colt, Ruger, Savage & S&W.

Quote: The zinc receiver doesn't really bother me much considering what I payed for the rifle, but the paint they put on the receiver sucks. I stripped it off and brushed the receiver which looks a whole lot better.

Dragline45, I agree about the painted receiver cover. If possible I would like to see a picture of the receiver cover you stripped and brushed.

I bought my oldest granson a Henry 22 for Christmas about 12 years back when he was 6 years old.
I would hate to count how many bricks of 22 shells that's been shot through that little rifle, I think most of them came from my ammo stock pile.

I have a new 17HMR with hex barrel in inventory in the shop, it's a nice looking little rifle.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Henry's lever action 22 rifle was designed by IRMA of Germany back in the late 1960's. It is NOT a Henry design at all. Yet this is a great rifle and worth every penny.

Jack

I wondered if anyone was going to mention the Erma connection to the Henry Rifles. IIRC Erma also had a lever action that was a single shot. It just looked like a repeater.

Maybe their quality has improved I've been a CAS Shooter since 1997, finally last year in about November I saw a Henry Big Boy actually get through a match without a major failure, one that would keep it from finishing the Stage. They make great guns for those that don't shoot much, like to continuously work on their guns and don't care if they can actually fire 10 rounds in sequence. They bear no relationship to any gun made in the Old West. They spend $1million on advertizing to get SASS to approve the gun for SASS matches.

ratshooter said:
IIRC Erma also had a lever action that was a single shot. It just looked like a repeater.

Not AFAIK - methinks you're misremembering the Ithaca 49, cum Stevens 89, cum Agawam Arms 68 (all samey-same Martini-type single shot .22's) as being an Erma, like the Ithaca Model 72 lever action repeater was..

6af4efff8a6605c2f0c34a5cd73f0ce9.jpg

If everyone thought like the OP, then almost nobody would be buying guns.

I dunno. I feel the same way about them playing off the original Henry name but I do own a Golden Boy and its a fantastic rifle.

How much do ads influence a gun buyer? Not much IMO. I'd be upset if they were misleading regarding where they manufacture.

I buy Remingtons entirely because of Brett Favre's endorsement. My wardrobe is entirely Wrangler jeans also. /sarcasm

Dragline45, I agree about the painted receiver cover. If possible I would like to see a picture of the receiver cover you stripped and brushed.

I cant find any of the photos I have of the Henry and all I have currently is a crappy cell phone camera, but here's a photo of another Henry with a stripped receiver. Henry no longer uses plastic barrel bands or front sights anymore so if you got the old plastic ones call them up and they should send you a replacement, that way you can match the barrel band to the receiver. Bead or sand blasting might be a good alternative to brushing.

Just one thing, if you don't wipe off your fingerprints on the receiver it will leave them behind since it is zinc. Easy enough to clean up but a coat of lacquer should solve the problem.

Henrycloseup.jpg

Back