Help With Target Turrets

Same as Kenton, Leupold, Sightron, and any other shop that makes turrets.
Leupold can make taller turrets marked in MOA for your Leupold scope also.

First off your problem with your scopes isn't only the turrets it is also the reticles. Your Leupold with VH reticle would be the the best one as it gives you holds for 10 and 20 MPH winds, but that's it. The Burris Ballistic Plex reticle doesn't give any wind holds at all, and you didn't mention what was in the Vortex. So I wouldn't go and buy any kind or turret from anyone and try to get the scope to work for the school until you get more information from the cadre.

If you're out there shooting at this long range school and the spotter tells you to hold 2 MOA or Mill left/right wind value how are you going to do it with your current optics? None of your current reticles allow for this kind of hold. You can dial it but that is a PITA, plus now you have a scope you now have to keep track of two directions of tracking.

I second jmr40's opinion on the SWFA SS fixed power scopes. I'd probably go with a fixed 10X for a long range school. After you go over 10X the the scopes start getting dark becuase the 40mm objective isn't letting enough light in. I sure wouldn't get a scope with a top end over 12X. Just make sure whatever you buy the reticle matches the scope adjustments. There are some scopes offered by SWFA with Mil reticles and MOA adjustments, which is old school. Just save yourself the heartache and conversion tables and get a scope with Mil reticle with Mil adjustments or a MOA reticle with MOA adjustments.

Does the Leupold with VH reticle compensate for winds close to the shooter causing more drift at target range than winds close to the target?

Bart B. said:
Does the Leupold with VH reticle compensate for winds close to the shooter causing more drift at target range than winds close to the target?

Is there any reticle that you know of that does that? I haven't seen or heard of one. However, if you want info on the VH reticle it's pretty easily found with a simple online search. Leupold Varmint Hunter Reticle

Is there any reticle that you know of that does that? I haven't seen or heard of one. However, if you want info on the VH reticle it's pretty easily found with a simple online search. Leupold Varmint Hunter Reticle
Thanks for the link to that VH reticle. Don't think any reticle corrects for wind in each range band.

Seems to me that it's going to help some people have a better chance hitting their targets in windy conditions. Especially those who cannot read cross wind mirage then correct for it.

It's important for me to focus on what I need to know RIGHT NOW. It appears that there are all sorts of variables that may come into play later, but I have to pare it down to whatever will get me ready for this shooting course. I can worry about the other stuff next time around.

It looks like I just need a set of MOA turrets, the Leupold scope will be fine, and I can install the turrets myself if I can get them.

I emailed Leupold to see if they will ship me turrets instead of requiring me to send the scope. I would like to be shooting by June 27, and that isn't going to happen if I have to ship the scope.

I wish I could use the .204 Ruger. That thing is a joy to shoot.

You've only yet dipped your toe into this particular rabbit hole! ;)

Some guys have enough into it they could almost have bought another house. :eek:

Custom action, scope, rings, trigger, wind indicators, front rest, shooting pad, chrono, spotting scope, tripod, cart to haul all your stuff once you get to the range.
2-3 barrels a year, bullets, powder (8 pounds jugs of same lot numbers), primers, cases.

And to think, you coulda bought a new BMW... :D

Std7mag, I didn't use any of that custom stuff winning my share of long range matches. Cheap sights and their mounts, Winchester 70 actions and never used a chronograph.

For basic long-range shooting, you'll need an understanding of your bullet's trajectory, a way to aim for the right drop (could be dialing in adjustments or using hold-overs in your reticle), and an understanding/ability to read wind effects.

Well, I have had an interesting development.

From all this going back and forth, I had the idea that target turrets were huge, tough turrets with big markings on them, sort of like a large print Bible for old folks. Also, the guy who runs the course I want to take said the scope I had had the wrong turrets.

I emailed Leupold to see what they could do for me, and they said my scope already has target turrets. I just sent a photo to the guy who teaches the course to see if they're right for what we would be doing.

I'll post a photo here.

I am still not totally sure what a non-target turret is. I guess it's the little-bitty turret that comes on most scopes.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 06 16 20 Leupold scope turrets small.jpg
    06 16 20 Leupold scope turrets small.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 103
...those look like suitable turrets for making long distance adjustments.
If your instructor says they are not acceptable, but can't explain why, you might want to look for a different instructor.

LOL,,,,yep i was just thinking the same thing raimius just posted

think i would be looking for another class too,,,with a different instructor

i would like to take one of these courses too some day,,,nothing close for me though,,,,but i would travel i guess,,,maybe this fall i can get to one somewhere

ocharry

Agree. Those are indeed Leupold target turrets, I have scopes similar except 8-25X.

The varmint hunter's reticle looks fussy and complicated to me, I would ignore the Christmas tree and click in range and wind corrections. Any class should teach you how to make up a range card and paste it to your stock.

I mentioned my scopes in an email, and the guy who teaches the class says they won't work.

At that point, I would be looking for a different instructor.

Apparently, he has his course, and requires certain special items in order that he doesn't need to change or adapt his course to the student's equipment.

that's fine, for some things, but I'd avoid those who say you need this, that, and the other thing, or don't even think about it...(and that goes for a lot of things other than long range shooting)

I think its better to find someone to teach you how to use what you already have, to the best of your ability, and let YOU decide what items you want, and need to upgrade, not demand you show up with them in order to get their instruction.

I'm not talking about specialty items you "need" in order to compete against others I'm talking about basics and learning to shoot at long range.

Sure, the scope on your deer rifle isn't the best choice for 1,000yd precision work, but that doesn't mean it won't work, it just means it won't work as well as something designed and purpose built.

Let your equipment show it's limitations, THEN decide what to change to get what you want. And. if possible, find an instructor who feels that way, too.

Back