Help with a dated 1759 powder horn please

Now that you say that it definitely looks like it could be for sure. Really hard to decipher after the R. Would that make it part of royalty?

I doubt if PV stands for Fort William Henry. It could be the soldier's name, PV Henri but the trouble with that theory is that it should not be followed by Regia, which means king. That would be disloyal as aspiring to the crown. George II would not approve nor would the King's officers.

I have no idea whether it's a period artifact or a recent artifact, but here are a few interesting tidbits:
1- Honi soit qui mal y pense- this is the motto of the Order Of The Garter. It means "Shame to who thinks ill of it (the Order).

2- Dieu Et Mon Droit- translates to "God And My Right", it is the motto of the King or Queen of England. It refers to the authority of God and the Divine Right of Kings to judge and rule.

3- 1759 is the "Anno Mirabilis", the "Marvelous Year" when the British had a series of victories over the French during the Seven Years War (the French and Indian War were just the incidents of that war that occurred in North America). It was bandied about much like we hoorahed 1776.

4- The lion and unicorn are heraldic animals of the King's coat of arms. FWIW, it was punishable under the law for anyone other than the King or an officer of the Crown to display the King's coat of arms.

5- Another FWIW- re-enactment is not a new thing, and there have been re-enactors for 200 + years acting out famous incidents of the Revolutionary War era. This means 200+ years of fake uniforms, fake artifacts, fake documents, fake militaria in general. A friend of mine's grandfather used to use a supposedly authentic Brown Bess for re-enactments before WW2.

Scorch thank you for the response. I sent your thoughts along with Gary’s and drobs over to Tom and see what he thinks.

Gary I will try that after work and see what I can come up with. Should I do that in a dark room??

I’ll try to get some pics tonight in a blue light. Then after that I believe I’m sending it over to Tim Lewis in Cincinnati. For him to go through it and possibly put it up for auction.

Well the horn has been with jack Lewis from Cowan’s auction house in Ohio. The horn is indeed authentic. There was a little bit of downfall from what he was saying. He said it could’ve maybe fetched up to 10k if someone hadnt cleaned it up. With that being said he said he could most likely get 3k for it and maybe up to 5k. This is what kinda sucks, it won’t go into a catalog till late fall.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back