Help with a dated 1759 powder horn please

Ze52514

Inactive
Okay so I am new to this site and new to the powder horn. I’ve recently stumbled upon a beauty! I was needing a little assistance in making sure it’s legit, and I’ve had several antique places really interested but wouldn’t give me an idea of what it was worth. I was hoping you guys could help. I’m a collector of old bicycles and this was purchased when I picked up a few bikes. I hope you the pros could help assist me! I’m having a bit of problems uploading files :/

It’s saying upload errors. If someone out there collects or has some serious knowledge and wants to help me out please send me a email or give me a call at(309) 202-2357 or Zowens2424@yahoo.com I’m going to try to figure out how to upload photos. Thanks again

Just helping him post photos:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• unnamed-2.jpg
    unnamed-2.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 296
  • unnamed-1.jpg
    unnamed-1.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 307
It's hard to put a price on something like that because there's no provenance. It certainly looks old but somebody with experience would have to see it first hand.

I agree and everyone that I’ve talked in person says I have something special but they tell me I’d have to have something like appraised professionally so there aren’t any errors. I have managed to find some info on the literature it says “Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense” and has a british arms around it. Thank you for your reply. Hope this may help.

I made a knife from a sawblade and carved an antler into a beaver shape.
Lost it years ago up in Mendocino.

Many, many years later (like 20 or more), my friends were digging in their garden and found this old, old carved antler handle knife. Everyone in the area swore that it was ancient and from the 1890's seeing how pitted the metal was, and how dark the antler had become.

But my friends said that they thought that they knew where it came from and gave me a call, and I was happy to get my old knife back! Goes to show you that even though it looks old, it might have just been someone's handicraft.

The carvings and scribblings of the horse look fairly primative and done by an amatuer, so it isn't fine work. But to some, that would enhance the idea of something made in primative America.

I totally understand. Basically I want to make sure when I do decide to offer this piece up for sale I don’t any mistakes on both sides. I want it to accurate. I think if it is in fact accurate with the date on it, it would be highly collectible. We will see :).

If the date is genuine and there's no way to prove that. It could just be a date that had some meaning to the maker.

It's hand made. The maker could put anything he wanted to on it. Lots of guys that do fur trade impressions make horns very similar to that. I'm not saying it's fake. I'm just saying it's going to take an expert with hands on experience to tell you that I doubt even an expert could validate the date. If it is an original horn it has been stored really well for over 200 years for it not to have worm holes all in it.

I appreciate your thoughts. If you know of any experts I can send this piece too I would definitely do so just to get some answers:)

A real beauty and thanks

I'm no expert but do have a couple of question aside from reading the scrimshaw work, ..... :confused:

1) What is the shape of the base-plug"?
2) What kind of bales does it have, if any?
3) What is "any" metal made of?
4) can you tell how the base is sealed, like beeswax?
5) Can you tell what was stored in the horn and can you smell any BP?
6) Does the untouched surface, show, light cracks or crazing.

The color is good and natural. It's a really neat horn and likely not as old as it states but still old. I have seen Salt, Rum, BP and grease horns. Horns were used for storing many materials. I do believe it's a BP powder horn and a real beauty? .... :)

Be Safe !!!

If you can send me a email I will send you a lot more pics of it. I can’t seem to upload photos. Just says an error.

Shape of the base is round. The tip seems to be brass. I was told it was bp powder horn from others that smelled it. It has been nailed with square head nails that weren’t machine made. I could get you in depth pics of whatever you needed. My cell is(309) 202-2357 and my email is Zowens2424@yahoo.com thank you for your reply.

Yes I was able to get the phrase “honi Sai Mal y Pense” and distinguished it has the British code of arms.

That is a very interesting site. I’ll have to check it out a bit more after work.

Back