Help me pick a bolt action rifle

There was a few criteria that had to be met when I went shopping for a new bolt action. I wanted detachable mags, wood stock, iron sights and at an agreeable price. Those requirements narrowed down the choices quite a bit and led me to the Browning X-bolt, I went with .30-06 because it's an all-around useful caliber and can be found virtually everywhere. It has been very accurate.

Most riflemen (actually all of them) I know ignore the finger-waggers when it comes to using the "correct" pronunciation for Sako rifles and call them sake-os. If you want your name to sound like a salmon then spell it that way. :)

Garand is another name commonly mispronounced but most of us aren't going to change our "bad" speech habits any time soon.
I do. I used to work with Finns, and I picked up a few ways of their pronunciation.

JC Garand contributed a lot in our war efforts in WWII. Out of respect, I make a point to pronounce his name correctly. The least I can do.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I think a lot depends on when your ruger barrel graduated from the "old school". My understanding about the ruger manufacture of barrels for the #1 and 77 is this: 67-72 were douglas match barrels, 73 - 91 Wilson barrels, 92 to present are ruger manufacture, hammer forged. The performance from Wilson barrels can be hit or miss (pun intended). I have a 1980, #1B chambered for .257 roberts. It's a good day when you can keep 3 shots at a hundred yards on an 8 1/2 by 11 sheet of paper.

Last edited:
73 - 91 Wilson barrels, 92 to present are ruger manufacture, hammer forged. The performance from Wilson barrels can be hit of miss (pun intended).
I had. Ruger 77 produced in 93. It was a tack driver with every load I tried. Good gun, if you can find one.

I think a lot depends on when your ruger barrel graduated from the "old school". My understanding about the ruger manufacture of barrels for the #1 and 77 is this: 67-72 were douglas match barrels, 73 - 91 Wilson barrels, 92 to present are ruger manufacture, hammer forged.

For many years, I've heard countless anecdotal reports via the internet regarding supposed Ruger barrel differences and quality fluctuations during certain eras and from different barrel manufacturers, including "in-house" barrels made by Ruger but, though I've asked, I have yet to see any real, empirical evidence supporting these claims. Typical are the prefaces "it's my understanding" or "it's a known fact" but nothing in the way of hardcore proof to verify the allegations.

Due to the relatively large number of reports over time and from my own experiences with Ruger Model 77s and Number One rifles, I tend to believe the "accusers" but I'd love to see the unadulterated evidence. Until then, for me, it remains a question.

To get me to part with all my other rifles it would have to something really special like maybe a Dakota Arms rifle or some other work of art type gun...

Tony

The Tikka rifles in wood or synthetic would be my choice. It would be hard to find a smoother bolt in your list of rifles.

I agree. They are just pure glassy. Binding not an issue with them. They are very well made, point nicely, go bang every time, and are just nice rifles.

Too late to add another option to your list?? Was just watching the new-ish TFB Tv video on the CZ-600. Gorgeous.

In the early 1990's, Ruger tried to make 20 top quality Palma match rifles for the USA Palma team. Half the barrels from Green Mountain had 4 grooves and the others had 6. All were tested with the ammo to be used. Most accurate were those with 4 grooves, the best one tested about 20 inches at 1000 yards. Team members own rifles tested about 6. Ruger's stock was a poor design shape for the prone position, trigger pull was atrocious.

Last edited:
In the early 1990's, Ruger tried to make 20 top quality Palma match rifles for the USA Palma team. Half the barrels from Green Mountain had 4 grooves and the others had 6. All were tested with the ammo to be used. Most accurate were those with 4 grooves, the best one tested about 20 inches at 1000 yards. Team members own rifles tested about 6. Ruger's stock was a poor design shape for the prone position, trigger pull was atrocious.
I have quite a few rugers, I would say they are pretty good consumer grade, though friends that have their precision semi-autos swear by them, I don't have one. I do have a ruger Hawkeye which I consider about the equivalent of a modern model 70.
Too late to add another option to your list?? Was just watching the new-ish TFB Tv video on the CZ-600. Gorgeous.
I've looked at those longingly, though they seemed to be aimed primarily at the hunter/sporter market with short barrels.

Last edited:
Ruger makes really good rifles. What they did 30 years ago is hardly indicative of what thy produce today. That said stagpanther, short barrels are, all else equal, less finicky and thus more accurate. Only for things past 1000 do I care for anything more than 22".

...short barrels are, all else equal, less finicky and thus more accurate. Only for things past 1000 do I care for anything more than 22".
Folks using 7.62 NATO M80 ammo or 30 caliber 155 grain bullets in 308 Win ammo in 800, 900 and 1000 yard events care. They use barrels 30+ inches long to keep bullets supersonic with 13 or 14 inch twists. 22 inch barrels are too short. The 155's are about as accurate as 1K yard benchrest rifles; 5 to 6 inches at best.

Last edited:
Whatever Bart. I shoot my 16" and 20" .308 to 1K and have no problems. Get out and shoot a little with the new stuff. :)

What is the shot count and size of the largest test groups with those barrels?

What's the load details? Muzzle velocity?

Last edited:
While interesting topics for discussion, we are getting off the OP's request for opinions on a good hunting rifle that can do target duty in the off season.

Back