Help me pick a bolt action rifle

gaseousclay

I've compiled a list of bolt action rifles that i've been researching and am curious which you would pick? If I can swing it, i'm hoping I can buy a new rifle with my tax refund along with a Leupold scope. I'll likely go for a .270 win. I want to use the rifle for hunting later down the road but in the meantime it will serve as a range gun.

Wood stock rifles:
Tikka T3x Hunter
Browning AB3 Hunter
Sauer 100 Classic (beechwood stock)
Howa Hunter

synthetic stock rifles:
Tikka T3x Lite
Sauer 100 Classic XT
Browning AB3 Composite Stalker
Mauser M12 Extreme
Mauser M18
Howa Carbon Stalker

^^
The synthetic stock rifles are my second preference because I prefer a wood stock. But, synthetic stocks are appealing because then I don't have to worry if they get dinged up, which is why they're on the list. I believe all of the above rifles are priced at or below $1000.

About 10 yrs ago I used to own a Browning A-Bolt but after my divorce I got rid of it. I think it was made in the 80's. From what I gather, the current AB3's are a step down from the older A-Bolts while the X-Bolts are the new cream of the crop. The only reason it's on the list is because it's made by Miroku whom I trust as a decent gun manufacturer. The Sauer 100 Classic looks nice as well but it's got a beechwood stock, which i'm assuming is a step down from the usual walnut stock you find on most rifles. I think Sauer manufactures their rifles in the same factory as Mauser. Likewise, I think Tikka manufactures their rifles in the same factory as Sako. The Mauser rifles look good - the only thing i'm not crazy about is the detachable butt pad. I'm sure some find utility in it but to me it seems like a useless feature.

Opinions?

My opinion is that SAKO/Tikka are phenomenal rifles, and you will get a lot of bang for your buck. Actions are GLASSY smooth, and I have yet to have one bind up on me when trying to make a quick follow up shot. It is one of the very few Push Feed actions I will endorse. I am too partial to my CRF actions.

I have hiked the fields with a T3 Lite in 7mm-08, and have waffled just about any fair game that popped up in front of me. They handle lively, are lightweight, but sturdy and pretty reliably accurate.

Brownings are really nice rifles. As are the Howa’s. You can’t really go wrong with any of those three.

Short story long, I say try the Tikka.

The only thing I can say is go to the store and feel them or see if they're available because they're all great choices.

My philosophy:

I'd rather have synthetic than cheap wood. Walnut looks nice but isn't nearly as practical, but if you want wood, hold out for decent wood.

I don't think there are any bad choices on your list, but my pick is Tikka. I've never shot one that wasn't exceptionally accurate. They are the lightest, most accurate rifle you'll find under about $1,500. Spare magazines and other accessories are easily available and reasonably priced.

The 270 is an old school classic hunting round that has served that role very well. But there are better choices if you want a range gun that can also be used to hunt with. There are a ton of old 270 rifles out there, but it is fading rapidly in popularity. Many manufacturers no longer make rifles in it. And ammo is currently very hard to find.

Right now, 308, and 223 are about the only rifle cartridges actually on shelves. The 6.5 CM or 7-08 are normally good options I'd suggest, but I haven't seen any of it on store shelves in a while either.

Either 308, 7-08 or 6.5 CM you'll almost certainly have more accuracy potential, noticeable less recoil, and less expensive ammo. They will all kill the same game animals, and out to the same ranges.

The only thing I can say is go to the store and feel them or see if they're available because they're all great choices.

Unfortunately, the only brand I’ve listed that appears to be available to look at in person is the Tikka t3x lite. Otherwise, I have to order online or ask my LGS to order

I have a LGS that orders things in for 99% of the stuff he sells. So what I do is go to the big box stores and fondle and touch and feel. Then have my guy order it for cheaper than any box store can do.

Might I be so bold as to add a CRF choice to your list. New production Winchester Model 70. Mine is the sporter model with a short magnum action. Surprisingly lively to the shoulder and swings great for tracking a shot on a running deer. Of course, when adrenaline pumping through veins, even a boat anchor could feel feather light, I am sure.

Just points and shoulders great, trigger hard to beat.

Purely anecdotal of course, but I am very happy with my Sauer 100 Classic XT. I bought it for one reason: looked like a good, reasonably priced rifle in 9.3x62. But it's very smooth, great fit and finish, and extremely accurate. My handloaded Norma Oryx 232's make a nice cloverleaf.

Serious riflemen have at least one Savage model they take afield. Highly accurate and reliable - plus Savage’s pricing is hard to beat.

Look at the Browning X bolt. Either in wood or synthetic. Very hard to beat in price and function. This is Brownings replacement for the A bolt. The .270 will be around for quite some time.

Of what you have in your list and reading your post, I'd say get the Sauer with the wood stock.

Just my opinion, but the Sauer wood I have seen just looks better for my tastes. I'd personally opt for a Bergara Timber. I have a lot of R700 footprint stuff and they are a great company to deal with if you need factory work done.

Of what you have in your list and reading your post, I'd say get the Sauer with the wood stock.

Just my opinion, but the Sauer wood I have seen just looks better for my tastes. I'd personally opt for a Bergara Timber. I have a lot of R700 footprint stuff and they are a great company to deal with if you need factory work done

My hesitation with the Sauer is that I’m not sure about beechwood as a good wood for rifles. I’m used to walnut being the standard. I wonder if beechwood is used to cut costs? I’ll take a look at Bergara

Having a 270 as a target shooting cartridge is a little strange. Most ammo available for a 270 is going to be hunting ammo, so shooting small group's consistently may be an issue.
Plus, a 270 does have a decent amount of felt recoil shooting off a bench.
There are a couple new high BC .277" bullet's out now, but they require a faster twist rate than the factory barrel's come with.

I have 3 270s and a 270 wsm. Full disclosure, I am a Ruger M77 addict. That being said I can not part with my stainless synthetic M77 270. I also have a Tikka 270 that is nice. grey wolf style. It does not fit me as well as the ruger, but that is personal thing. The Tikka is likely a little more accurate, but in my case the 270 Ruger is still quite accurate. The tikka holds 3 in the mag, the ruger holds 4. The tikka detachable mag is a light plastic. The ruger internal mag is all steel. The tikka trigger is slightly more crisp. My other 270 is a stainless TC venture, with a 24" barrel from Springfield Mass. After trigger adjustment, I find it to be a fine rifle. Not as accurate as the Tikka. It is utilitarian. My 270 WSM is a kimber. That is a very nice rifle and puts noticeably more thud onto the game animal at all ranges.

Might I be so bold as to add a CRF choice to your list. New production Winchester Model 70. Mine is the sporter model with a short magnum action. Surprisingly lively to the shoulder and swings great for tracking a shot on a running deer

Who manufactures the Model 70? FN? How do their rifles compare to a Miroku made Model 94? I’m just curious if there are known issues with M70’s. I’d like to get CRF but not sure if my budget will allow it

I don't think there are any issues with the current M70s, they are made in Portugal. I like to handle one first, before I buy.

Don't get hung up on CRF. Mauser has abandoned it. That said, I have not heard anything negative about the Portuguese Model 70s. I have one. Nice rifle, no issues. I don't have a "cloverleaf" load for it yet, but it does fine. One factor that might influence your choice is the style of safety, really a personal preference. Do you like the M70 classic style, or would you rather have it on the tang?

All excellent points. Mine is a newer Portuguese manufacture model. So far I have had stellar luck with grouping using Federal factory 180 grain loads for 300 WSM.

Slick action, haven’t had a hiccup yet.

Also good points about the safety. Some don’t like the swing, but would have one inline on the tang or to the side of the bolt to flick with the firing hand fingers.

If someone offered me a Tikka in 308, you bet I’d give it a good look and maybe walk away with it, but less money in my wallet. Hahah

Back