Help! I'm wanting a SMITH!

S&W pistols only discussion

George, I read the same article. Smiths PC pistols are something to behold indeed! I was lucky enough to find a 3-3/4" 945 {pre} earlier this year and its a home run! I can honestly say that this pistol is equal or better than any custom built 1911 I've ever held or owned (and I have seen examples from all the top dog 1911 'smiths). The fit and finish are perfect and the accuracy is unreal. Some of the features on my sample include-

titanium Briley bushing
Novak sights
Wilson beavertail and thumb safety
Ed Brown wedge m/s housing
Videcki trigger

I really like the CQB in that article but I have never likes the S&W decocker or mag 'safety". Thats why I have my dealer looking all over the country for a {pre} 945 4" or 5" model right now... if he finds me one I will buy it and NO $$ will go to Smith.

So, Kodiak, if you want a {pre} S&W PC pistol take a look at gunsamerica or elsewhere... they are worth every penny and are a bargain compared to any semi-custom pistol available today.

George,

Chill, dude.

Unfortunately, given what has happened with S&W, in my opinion you CANNOT talk about one without talking about the other, especially if you are talking about the new guns.

Now, in one of my previous messages I DID give you my opinion of S&W semi-autos.

That's not a new opinion, either. I've felt that way about S&W semi-autos for many many years.

The CQB is what, $850 or so MSRP?

Can you say ^%*^(*&$#)(*^)(*&^)(*&$)(*&$)(*^)(*& INSANE price? You could do it yourself for less than that.

I'm sorry, that gun simply is NOT worth that price.

As for S&W's new management. No, not really. They're still owned by the same company, Tompkins, in Britain. They have a new general manager, but his strings on major issues, and the agreement is a MAJOR issue, are still pulled by corporate.

BigMike,

Why is than an inconsistency? If you buy used, you don't support the company that sold you out. In fact, the majority of the guns that I've purchased were made when S&W was still American owned.

Even if you buy a NEW S&W, your money does not go to S&W. You buy from a dealer who buys from a distributor. That gun comes from a distributor, not fatory direct. A distributor bought from S&W and has them in their inventory. Then your dealer orders from them. So by not buying you are in reality hurting the distributors, and puting them out of business. And I am willing to bet that they carry other brands than S&W. That new Glock, SIG, Kimber, etc. that you buy comes from that very distributor, and I bet that your money that you pay the dealer for your new toy, is used to pay the dealers account at the distributor, and the distributor uses the funds to buy more inventory. Damn, you just helped to buy a S&W. Better boycott the distributors too. So when the distributors are out of business there will be a logistical nightmare in buying a new pistol. I have enough problems getting a reply to a question from a manufacturer, let alone product direct. I've been involved in the business for about 8yrs now and this is the way that it is.

As to S&W autos, I owned one, it was my first pistol. But I didn't like the ergos or weight. So I traded it. They really don't have anything to offer that is of interest to me, with the exception of a few revolvers.

By the way, should your Pre-sellout brake, will you get parts from the factory? Or scrap the piece? After all, you will be contributing to the beast. In additon, don't take advantage of the lifetime warranty too. Just my observations.

Sorry, One, but that is an incorrect statement, and one that needlessly splits hairs instead of placing the blame where it truly lies, with people who continue to support Smith & Wesson by purchasing new firearms.

The daisy chain goes STRAIGHT back to S&W, and quite frankly in the situation you describe I have ABSOLUTELY NO SYMPATHY for the retailer OR the wholesaler.

Without consumer demand, a company withers.

By continuing to traffic in S&W handguns, wholesalers and retailers essentially are working to put themselves out of business due to the onerous provisions of the agreement that S&W signed with the Federal Government.

Many wholesalers and retailers have dropped S&W products.

The retailers who still sell new, post agreement S&W products? They don't get my money.

There's only one shop I've been in that still sells new S&W handguns, and I can state for a fact (I used to work there, so I know the owner pretty well) that the owner is a complete and total moron, and in fact supports STRICTER gun control laws that would put even more firearms dealers out of business, as well as laws that would make gunshows illegal.

The guy is the greediest bastard I've ever met. He's also not very bright in that he has the idea that new laws won't affect him, but WILL affect all the other dealers on the face of the earth.

Yeah, alot of disributors said that they will drop S&W. But I can pick up the phone and get one in 24 hrs. As to The agreement, it hasn't had the repecussions that are spoken of in my area. Dealers still sell the guns, and they haven't signed the Dealer Agreement. Distributors would sell their own family members, if that was what was in demand. They may say that they will do this or that, but if there is profit to be made, I will guarantee it will go into their profits, rather than anothers.

And then let the distributors suffer for their own stupidity. Once they back up enough inventory, both they AND S&W will feel the effect.

S&W is feeling the effects right now.

Their largest distributors severed ties. Consumer purchases are down markedly.

S&W recently laid off several hundred employees, and significantly lengthened the yearly summer furlough.

To say that S&W isn't feeling the pin just because people don't buy guns directly from the factory simply isn't true.

It is worth it

850?
That sounds very reasonable if you take all into consideration... This is a Smith Design... so it seems to be cheaper - but a 1911 with that much handfitting and finishing would be worth at least Times Two of what this Smith is asking.
Its not the money... its the handgun.
And if you like the design - it will be worth it.

George,

There's no handfitting involved with the CQB. It's all factory production stock, AFIK. It may make a quick pass through the Performance Center, but it certainly doesn't spend much time there.

There are other new firearms from other companies, companies that haven't sold gunowners to the Romans for a few pieces of silver, that offer as much as the S&W CQB.

The bottom line is, though, if you want one, get one.

I still believe that the price is way too much for an underachieving design from a gutless company.

Naw - even if I had one in my hand... and had the cash in my pocket... and the Agreement never happened...
I'ld pass.
Smiths feel like I'm holding a hairdrier with that grip... hate that thing.
Just dont fit my hand.

Nice gun if it wasnt for that and the slide mounted safety...

I dont know which I hate worse

Performance Center 945

Category: Smith & Wesson Pistols - Autos
Model: Performance Center 945
Price: $1,099.00
Description: Blue commander size. 45 acp aluminum frame with frame mounted extended safety. Fish scale slide serations. Beavertail grip safety. Novak sights. Front of grip frame is checkered. Special match barrel and tuned trigger. This is a super factory custom combat 45.

GunsAmerica Stock # 976070130
Phone: (978) 632-6499

matchshot@aol.com

go on George, take a gander... :D

>S&W will put themselves out of business trying to live up >to the agreement they made with the administration.They
>won't need any help from anyone else,as they can not and >will not be able to dictate the policy they agreed to,and >force compliance by others.

100% agreed. I am inclined to not buy from them because of the Clinton deal and thats bad enough for them but I also assume very few places will carry them no matter how bad I want one becuase of the contract specifications. I assume this will kill the company eventually and then it also means no lifetime warrenty for any gun I get. But I already have a few smiths so if I kill the mfg then I risk my other guns also. If we kill the company fast then perhaps it is bought and resurrected in whole. I still loose my warrenty this way only sooner. How many of us have older, "unknown to the government", guns that still need parts/service from time to time.

I don't blame any buyer either way. I just want them to take it into consideration.

Amen, Mike Irwin

Shut 'em down...An abject lesson to the industry. It's not infighting, folks. S&W is on their side. Don't forget it. They've proven that they'll sell gun owners out for cash and protection.

Remember:

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

I think this quote applies to this situation.

In reply...

One...it doesn't matter. If the end user doesn't buy a product, the distributors will simply stop carrying that product. I understand what you're saying, but a lot of current inventory in distributor stock was purchased AFTER the sellout. As far as I'm concerned, they made a bad business decision and, per the laws of capitalism, will have to suffer. As far as not being able to have factory support for a pre-sellout gun; nobody said sticking up for what you believe in would be convenient. Stand up and make this one count. When you have 'em by the throat, LEAN IN!

Back