Heavy Caliber Revolver Recommendations

I would use this revolver for mainly target shooting and fun shooting, but might look at using it for hunting whitetails in MN. Mostly under 20 yard shots where I hunt.

Within that scenario, a 357 is all you really need, especially if you do not reload and the cost of ammo may be prohibitive to practicing the amount one needs to do to become proficient enough to hunt deer. The .357 is a much funner gun to shoot all day at the range than larger calibers and much more economical, even if you do reload. If you do not reload, I wouldn't even consider a .45 Colt or a .460 or a .500. Same goes for the .41 mag. Cost and availability of ammo can make the difference in whether or not you have the optimum ammo needed for hunting, and whether or not you shoot enough to get proficient. It also matters whether the gun will be your primary deer gun or just a backup to your longgun. If a primary weapon, than a .44 may be a better choice, but if it's a backup and delegated to only those easy shots at 20 yards or less, than a .357, again, is all you need.

Every time a question like this comes up, folks immediately jump in and recommend what they have/use and will put down anything else. I think it comes down to validating their own choices. I'm gonna suggest you spend some time shopping and fondling different revolvers, more than once or twice.
Find what feels the best in your hand and what points the most naturally for you. Remember, full underlugs and longer barrels with help with recoil, but IMHO, anything longer than 6" is not necessary. Again, anything less than 4" will not give you a good sight plane needed for hunting and will be less pleasant to shoot at the range.

While I don't consider it a big bore, a 357 mag 686 in a 4" would be an ideal first "bigger" bore revolver. 2nd great option would be a 357 Blackhawk convertible. 3rd would be the 45 Blackhawk convertible. A high honorable mention to the S&W 625 in 45 acp. There are tons of great options. Comes down to personal preference.

Good post Jayhawk. Good advice too. A 357 Ruger convertible is a big bore revolver in every respect. Too, it will allow the user to shoot inexpensive 9 mm as well. A 44 magnum Ruger might be another choice, but I think cost wise, the 357 makes the most sense. I like the Ruger black hawk model especially. And you can find ammunition, both 357 and 38 special most anywhere. Rod

I think the logical progression is to go to the .357 Mag and then the .44 once you've mastered it. May take years, may take a week or it may never happen as it depends entirely on the shooter.

The .357 for whitetail within 20 yards is nowhere near marginal, the .357 from its beginning was used for much larger game very effectively. The problem comes in with so many ammo choices and folks not knowing the difference between hunting and defensive ammo, and many folks not really knowing how to shoot.

.... It also matters whether the gun will be your primary deer gun or just a backup to your longgun. If a primary weapon, than a .44 may be a better choice, but if it's a backup and delegated to only those easy shots at 20 yards or less, than a .357, again, is all you need.

The other side of the coin is if you hunt whitetails in a thick area but do see them a bit further away in the woods. Still the most common shots are close. You decide because you are comfortable shooting up to 20 yds with the 357; it becomes the primary on some outings. What happens when you see that nice buck at 40 or 50 yds or double your comfort zone? Pass? Most will take the shot. So, in that case the 41 or 44 would be a better choice if that scenario fits your situation.

From my experience, I am not comfortable hunting with a firearm where a long shot is 20 yards in the thick woods even though 20 yd shots may be the more common. It is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. 50 yd views or a limited views out to 75 yds is more common.

Added: As an aside to the discussion, when I was younger and less experienced, I thought a 357 kicked A LOT. I had a Colt Python then. I purchased it specifically for hunting with home defense applications. I was a lousy shot with that revolver. I suspect it was mental and recoil related. Got a 41 mag and learned to shoot it well. The purpose was the same or mostly hunting in the woods. Suddenly shooting 357's was "nothing". Interesting how the mind works. That is why I suggest you work upward in power levels with revolvers. Lots of 44 mags around that only were shot a dozen times before they were sold. Let that not be you.

Last edited:
I'll just share my own limited experience because, at one point about a year ago, I got a weird hankerin' for a revolver, too. My first and, so far, only revolver is a 629-4 I that was everything I'd always wanted and was lucky enough to be able to win at gb.

I don't think I have any business 'recommending' a revolver to anyone, other than on the basis of a couple of your desirements: big bore, and fun. To me, the 44 Mag is a blast to shoot, at least with a relatively heavy gun such as mine. I generally load somewhere in the upper 3rd of published ranges, but am just getting started loading much lighter loads. There have been days when I really don't care to shoot up a 100 round box--but a slower pace and with longer rests suits me just fine these days.

Anyway, I find 44 fun to load with lots of options, fun to shoot, and definitely capable of very nice accuracy. I think a 41 was actually my first choice, but I gave up even trying to find one--and in some ways I'm glad I just went after the 44 I really always wanted. I think of it as my No 2 'range toy'...with the Grizzly Win Mag being No 1 in that department.

Enjoy your quest--I don't think you can do better than the 44, actually.

That is why I suggest you work upward in power levels with revolvers. Lots of 44 mags around that only were shot a dozen times before they were sold.

The first statement I think is true for everything--not just revolvers. I definitely agree that one gets accustomed to recoil, and I happen to believe it's not just mental: the hands and arms definitely find additional work to do, and it takes time. The second statement--well I'm almost certain that is truly the case, and I think I'd go so far as to say most used 44s are probably barely fired. No facts, just conjecture.

Last edited:
Super-Blackhawks are awfully nice. But the fact is that the 44 Magnum is just too much gun for most people. I am in hearty agreement with Driftwood on the convertible 45 Ruger.

Last edited:
I'd like to just very cautiously say I don't think it's a 'fact' that 44 is too much for most people, unless you qualify that by adding '...most people given the amount of shooting they are able and/or willing to do'. All I'm suggesting is that it isn't a matter of size, prowess, muscularity or manliness...I think it's more a matter of conditioning. When I heard a close associate say "I shot a 44 and I didn't like it", all it means to me is this: the biggest thing he's ever shot quite a bit of is a Glock in 45 Auto.

I suppose there are many, many shooters who will simply never find recoil a fun thing, but some shooters are also not guided by other experienced shooters. Case in point: woman in the gun club wants a different gun (than the Beretta Nano she first selected) because it 'kicks too much'. Ill-informed husband points her to a yet-smaller auto pistol (granted, maybe it was in .380). Point here is, many shooters have awful experiences that are fairly predictable. Which weapon do you think is more pleasant to shoot: a big massive 44 revolver or a Nano loaded with Gold Dots? I've done both, and the Smith wins out by a wide margin--with 'real' 44 Mag loads.

Anyway, I run on. While I don't think it's comparable to forcing yourself to enjoy Scotch 'because you should' by suffering through the taste of a bicycle inner tube soaked in cosmoline until you enjoy it, there is a case to argue: folks don't enjoy shooting because they have crappy experiences they shouldn't really have ever had.

IF all you've shot is 9mm, going straight to a .44mag is steep learning curve, and not one everyone makes.

Total agreement here. The theme in this thread is: unless you're prepared, ramping up is a key. If you've already made a decision (" I AM going to shoot a big bore hefty ") then you've already made the decision to suck up the downside. That's totally fine...fun is just further out on the horizon, and your wrists, arms and shoulders will not be having a clue as to what to do.

Very little different than going over to Gold's with someone who's been doing the machines for 2 years while you've been at home watching the Food Channel. It's going to hurt.

Last edited:
If you're thinking 44 mag--all I can say is 41 mag--can be loaded to 44 mid range power and doesn't hit you as hard, your extended range sessions will be much more pleasant. Even the 41 is no wimp, though.

As far as deer hunting with a revolver, there's always the option for a matching lever gun. They can be had in, .357, .41, .45LC, and .44 which makes for a pretty effective rifle out to 100-150 yds. I have Henry's in both .357 and .41 to match with my revolvers and they are great fun and very reliable and accurate.

If you do not reload stick with 357-44 . In my neck of the woods 41-45 are hard to find. Ok so I started with a 357 Blackhawk I hunted with it out to 75 yards and had very good luck on deer at those distances .but I shot 180 grain hardcast And aimed for the shoulders . you can also google the 158 grain xtp on deer and many guys have had excellent results also with that bullet. (I Have my wife shooting the xtp's this year with her gp-100 for deer ) Now I hunt with a 44 super RedHawk with a 9.5 inch barrel and it's a tack driver at 100+ yards . As posted before a convertable Blackhawk in 9/357/38 would be a nice range / hunting gun . Just remember to shoot the heavy for caliber 158/180 grain bullets for deer , check out buffalo bore they have some outstanding hunting rounds in 357.

I am a 41 Magnum fan, easy to reload, however I would recommend a 44 Magnum or 45 (Long) Colt for greater bullet selection.

I am a 41 Magnum fan, easy to reload, however I would recommend a 44 Magnum or 45 (Long) Colt for greater bullet selection.
?? I have lots of different .410 bullets to choose from--unless you mean 44 has a greater range of cartridge possibilities from mild to wild?

Unless your state has some law that makes handgun hunting sensical, just use a rifle :)
I had a 357 mag GP100 and I didn't think much of it for hunting.
I just bought a 357 max carbine and think it is about the lightest I would go on whitetail by choice.

Large Bore

My favorite large bore revolver is my S&W model 57 in .41mag.

As a reloader, there are dozens of loads to work with. If you get into it, you can make "41 Specials" by trimming the case by one tenth of an inch, much like the .44 Special.

The .41 mag is my go to gun fort hog hunting.

Good luck.

PS Do not use Blue Dot powder for the .41.

No Blue Dot in 41 Magnum ? I haven't reloaded in years but I got good results with Blue Dot in 357 with 110/125 gr JHPs, one of the gun writers warned against using it in sub-freezing temperatures, said he got high pressures.
In my reloading days I found 41 Magnum SWCs were a little hard to get due to low demand. Of course, if you cast your own...
A 210 SWC over 7.5 grains of Unique was my just right" load.

I just bought a 357 max carbine and think it is about the lightest I would go on whitetail by choice.

What .357 max carbine did you get? I have been thinking about buying or making one.

Encore.
I looked for a CVA or H&R single shot to convert.
I couldn't find any that weren't demanding a heavy premium.
Ed's Contenders has a good deal on 357 max barrels from MGM. About $100 less than direct.
A contender might have been better, but I already had an Encore frame.

I haven't had it out to shoot yet, so I can't tell you much more.

454SRH-1.jpg

Been hunting for 10 years with this thing. BTW, you don't need a .454 for short yardage whitetail.

Back