Heavy Caliber Revolver Recommendations

I've never really hunted much with a revolver. When I did, I used this 9.5" Super Redhawk 44 mag.
Its a heavy revolver and handles hot loads well. Because of its size and weight, I carried it in a bandolero style holster.

If you reload, then I would definitely recommend a 41Mag. I own a S&W Model 57 and a Ruger Blackhawk in this caliber. I would recommend either of them. Do you want a DA or a SA? I love them both and shoot them both.

I would never have thought of purchasing either of these revolvers if the right deal hadn't come along when I had money burning a hole in my pocket. I always thought of the 41MAG as something that was an unnecessary compromise between the 357 and the 44Mags. After I purchased these 41Mag. revolvers and started shooting them I saw the light and changed my mind. Old Elmer got it halfway right! It was way too much gun for the average policeman to handle, but it sure made for a great hunting arm and it's accurate and fun to shoot.

Factory ammunition for the 41Mag is grossly over priced and I wouldn't recommend a 41Mag for anyone who doesn't reload. If you do reload, then the component parts are no more expensive than those for any other cartridge.

A 4 inch 357 will do all that's needed, while still being able to control the revolver.

Both these guys were shot with a 4 in Model 28, 150 gr cast SWC bullets (Lyman mold 358477), 14.5 gr 2400,...............disregard the Rifle that was inserted for the photo.

IMG_NEW.jpg

Buffalo.jpg

"Different" and "fun to shoot"? How about a suggestion to go the opposite direction and try a good DA/SA revolver in (Shock! Surprise!) .22 LR? There are a lot of good K-22's around.

Cheap practice. Lots of fun. Ears remain in place without "muffs" the size of small cars. Then after you get used to a sporting handgun (the Shield is a self-defense gun, not a plinker), you can move to a more powerful gun if you want, something you can hunt with.

Jim

While I am a big fan of the .45 Colt, I think you should consider the Ruger Blackhawk converable in .357 / 9mm.

This combination gives you 3 rounds you can shoot, and you already have 9mm ammo.

And, if it turns out you want to go bigger, sell/trade it for something bigger.

Beware going to "too much gun", too soon.

IF all you've shot is 9mm, going straight to a .44mag is steep learning curve, and not one everyone makes.

In the Redhawk/Blackhawk camp you've mentioned it makes .44cal or .45cal the obvious choice and in those two models you can enjoy the fullest range of power from either calibre.

If MAX-MAX-MAX power is not needed then, of course, other brands are worth a look.

Someone also mentioned the .44Spl. Great round!! Highly recommended from my end. Perhaps a nice Blackhawk 5.5"? :cool:

Skip the others and go straight to the xvr and dont look back. If you so choose you can always shoot light with 45lc and 45cas or use it as intended as the 460sw. It is able to shoot much further if so desired. Mine will group 300gr handloads as well as any rifle at 100yds (scoped from rest). If you want to lighten up a bit then the stock sights are also good.
I find the recoil to be more manageable than my buddies SBH 44. Hands down a more accurate gun.

More manageable than the .44mag SBH? That is surprising to me, my SBH .44mag certainly lets you know your alive when you shoot it but I never would have thought a .460 would be more manageable than a .44mag regardless of the platform it is being shot from..lol. I am not by any means calling you out, just thinking out loud. I guess do to the porting, grips and the heft of the XVR then? The option to fire 45 LC, .454 mag is certainly a plus as well.

but I never would have thought a .460 would be more manageable than a .44mag regardless of the platform it is being shot from..lol.

there's a world of difference between a pistol that weighs 3lbs and one that weighs 5lbs+. :D

If you get a Super Redhawk in dual caliber, you would never want for more.

I am speaking of the 45 Colt/454 Casull.

The 45 Colt in itself is a tremendous caliber and capable of doing anything a lesser caliber can do in the right gun, and the Super Redhawk is definitely the right gun.

If you ever wanted more, then your gun would be ready for the 454 Casull.

They are tons of fun to shoot, at least to me.

I would recommend the S&W M500, but they can get expensive to shoot even when rolling your own.

Although .357 isn't necessarily a large bore it will do all you are asking, a big bore option I can recommend is the Redhawk that shoots 45 ACP and 45 Colt.

I've had so much fun with my 44 Special and 45 Colt Blackhawks that I don't even shoot my Super Blackhawk or 41 Bisley. Main reason I recommend them is they can push a 250-285gr SWC bullet at 1,050fps and still be fun to shoot. The 285 Colt load has a Taylor KO Value of over 19, compared to a 44Mag 300 at 20.

agree with 41 mag--it's got you covered between 357 and mid 44 mag in power without as much kick as a 44. 44 is great but I prefer it out of a lever gun these days.

I'll give you that in reference to the .500, but why shouldn't the .460 be mentioned?
Do I really have to explain that a 5lb revolver in a 65,000psi cartridge isn't a good idea for a first big bore? I doubt their utility at all, much less for a shooter new to big bore revolvers. :rolleyes:

Save the snarky little eye roll. 3 chamberings the .460 offers you, 45lc being a kitten to shoot out of a 5lb gun and if that is to big, pick up a 5" barrel under 4lbs. Not sure why I need to explain that.

Oh heck, start with either a Ruger GP100 or S&W 686 (.38 special/.357 magnum)

If you still feel like you want a more powerful round, then you can add to your collection but for most of us this is more than enough. Try shooting .357 and you can decide if it is not enough power; I'm guessing that for most people it is plenty.

I agree that for most people, the 357 is plenty of power unless you have a specific purpose in mind such as whitetail hunting. It's marginal in my opinion for whitetails, but many hunt with it. My guess is that the 357 is often more of a back up caliber while hunting versus the primary gun.

Back