Heavy Caliber Revolver Recommendations

ditchpanther

Inactive
I currently own a 9mm M&P Shield, a Daniel Defense AR15, a Ruger 10/22, a Remington 30-06, and a Remington 870. I am always looking to expand my collection. I am currently looking for something different than what I have, and that is fun to shoot.

I think I came to the conclusion that a large caliber revolver would be a fun thing to have. I love shooting revolvers.

I would use this revolver for mainly target shooting and fun shooting, but might look at using it for hunting whitetails in MN. Mostly under 20 yard shots where I hunt. Any recommendations for a heavy caliber revolver? So far I like the looks of a Ruger blackhawk/redhawk.

I've been enjoying my S&W mod. 69 for about a year now (more or less) and have found it to be a very accurate and high quality handgun.
while it's .44 mag., i tend to run .44 special through it most of the time. i will say it handles the magnum round without much fuss though.... just my .02

good luck with whatever you decide!

Very few people don't think a 357 mag is humane for white tail inside 25 yards.
On the other end 460 SW seems like the most versatile cartridge in the large bore category. Inside 20 yards the short cartridge options should be plenty accurate for white tail.
SO many in between.

I have two Rugers both with 5.5 inch barrels a 45 Colt & 44 mag. They are just fun to shoot, and both calibers offer a reloader many choices, as would one in .357.

44 Special

You might consider 44 Special.
It is extremely versatile-you can load it mild to nearly low end 44 Mag levels.
Easy on the hand in sturdy revolvers.
Suitable for hunting with hotter loads.
Do not used hot loads in a Charter Arms Bulldog.

If you load your own, seriously consider a Blackhawk in .45 Colt. If not, since most of the time will be on the range, look at a Blackhawk or GP-100 in .357 mag. Minimum 5 1/2 barrel, and 6 1/2 or even 7 1/2 are better. You'll save on ammo, and I agree that the .357 will drop deer at appropriate range. If you gotta have the .44, realize that ammo will cost more, and you may find .44 Special particularly rare and expensive.

I like Smiths, too, but they'll cost more.

I've got a Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt that I reload for. You can shoot very mild loads all the way to loads that will surpass a .44 mag. Or get a .454 Casull and shoot weak .45 Colt loads all the way to elephant stomping .454 Casull loads. Nothing like versatility in a firearm.

Disclaimer: I have not owned or even shot the .460 S&W Magnum but the big X frame revolver has certainly has enthralled me. Like johnwilliamson said you can shoot . 45 Colt, .454 Casull or of course the .460 S&W Magnum. It's on my someday list (not high on it but it is on it) and for your purposes maybe deserves a look.

A Ruger Blackhawk convertible in 45 colt / 45 acp would offer a lot of reloading possibilities. 45 acp for target , plinking ....45 Colt for larger things.
Gary

I'd suggest starting with the .357 and working your way up.

You can shoot very mild loads all the way to loads that will surpass a .44 mag.
Similar but it won't surpass the .44 Magnum without exceeding Ruger only pressures.

I recommend a 44 magnum, and if your budget will allow it, a Smith & Wesson. The Rugers are a little stronger, but most people don't shoot them enough with heavy loads to need the extra margin of strength, and the S&Ws have such better triggers. A 629-5 Classic is my current favorite, and it is superbly accurate with almost every load I've ever put through it.

629-4bullets.jpg~original

I've got a Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt that I reload for. You can shoot very mild loads all the way to loads that will surpass a .44 mag. Or get a .454 Casull and shoot weak .45 Colt loads all the way to elephant stomping .454 Casull loads. Nothing like versatility in a firearm.

I had know idea that a .45 Colt could do that! Awesome. I want one even more now! It always seemed like a great handloader's round.

My favorite large-caliber revolvers are definitely my Ruger Blackhawks. I have a 45acp/45 colt convertible and a 44 magnum Super Blackhawk. They both have 7.5" barrels. They are accurate and fun to shoot. Either one would be good for hunting.

45acp and 44 special are generally mild and easy to shoot. 45 colt and 44 magnum can be loaded awfully hot.

I would highly recommend either one of those revolvers.

If you want a big bore revolver and you haven't got much experience with them then you want a .44mag

Ruger is my preferred brand, though some prefer Smith. Both are good but Ruger I'd bigger and heavier and when I want big bore I want big everything.

Ruger Super Blackhawk is the right choice if you want single action, and the Redhawk is the solution for a double action fix. Super Redhawk is fine too but I prefer the regular Redhawks because it's even bigger and heavier.

I would use this revolver for mainly target shooting and fun shooting, but might look at using it for hunting whitetails in MN. Mostly under 20 yard shots where I hunt. Any recommendations for a heavy caliber revolver? So far I like the looks of a Ruger blackhawk/redhawk.

Howdy

I did not see any mention in the OP's post about needing a revolver that would put down an elephant. I also see no mention that the OP owns any revolvers yet, so I don't think one of the 'Super Magnums' is a good choice for a first revolver. Certainly not for target and fun shooting. Yes, you can fire 45 Colt in some of them, but they are really big and much more gun than is needed for informal shooting.

357 Mag is a great caliber, but it does not qualify as a 'large caliber revolver', which is what the OP specified. 44 Mag is great, but over powered for most target and fun shooting needs. Yes, you can shoot 44 Special in a 44 Mag, but try finding any 44 Special ammo over the counter locally. Great if you reload, not so great if you don't.

I bought this 45 Colt/45 ACP Ruger Blackhawk convertible way back in 1975. My first 'big bore' revolver, and one of the first revolvers I ever bought. Always fun to shoot, and ammunition is usually easily available locally, both 45 Colt and 45 ACP. If you are not into reloading yet, 45 Colt is a great cartridge to learn on, because the components are big and easily handled. I am not a hunter, but depending on what is legal where you live, there are plenty of factory 45 Colt loads that will put down a deer. 45 Colt is an extremely versatile cartridge. It can be downloaded so that it is a pussycat, standard loads are nothing to sneer at, and a large frame Blackhawk like this can handle the so called 'Ruger Only' loads too.

turnlineBlackhawkSNmodified_zpse91b1bf1.jpg

Today Ruger is only offering the blued 45 Colt/45 ACP convertible with a 4 5/8" or 5 1/2" barrel, not the 7 1/2" barrel like mine, although you can find a 7 1/2" convertible at one of their exclusive dealers.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/products/newModelBlackhawkConvertible/models.html

Ruger does sell a blued Blackhawk chambered for 45 Colt only with a 7 1/2" barrel.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/products/newModelBlackhawkBlued/models.html

You can also find a Bisley model in 45 Colt.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/products/newModelBlackhawkBisley/models.html

Lots of choices.

P.S. Don't expect to pay $150 for one, like I did in 1975.

Last edited:
Back