Heavy “bull” barrel vs standard barrel: What do you get?

still waiting for someone to tell me how varmint hunting isn't hunting..

Unless you eat it, its not hunting.

I am not saying removing varmints is not usefull, but unless you eat them thar varmints its a category of several categories unto itself.

My relatives shoot gophers as they are a pest (holes in the pasture, broken legs, lower pasture yield maybe as if there is not grass growing it takes off the carrying capacity.

Bart B. said:
Road clam,

Barrels start vibrating when the bullet starts down the barrel.

https://www.varmintal.com/aeste.htm

You are correct, and I do know this , I should have been more precise language in my post. Edited my original post to clarify, good catch.

As stated in the article I understand in "theory" you want the barrel whip sine wave on the "increase" vertically as the bullit exits the barrel for maximum consistency. The bullitt exiting the barrel on the downward sine wave whip is not good. Barrel sine waves and harmonics are another whole accuracy debate that's way above my pay grade !

Bart B. you might find this interesting (unless you already know) . Interestingly I did learn how to test my 1874 Sharps 45-70's barrel for the harmonic "sweet spot". The "sweet spot " is the area where you can rest the barrel on a rigid support and NOT have harmonics affect your consistency.

http://www.texas-mac.com/Minimizing_Barrel_Bounce_off_Cross_Sticks_Finding_the_Sweet_Spot.html

Last edited:
Road Clam,

According to https://www.varmintal.com/amode.htm there is no sweet zero vibration spot.

And your linked mode harmonic frequencies are not even multiples of the resonate frequency. Besides, your link shows both ends fixed. Only one end of rifle barrels are fixed.

Last edited:
I read the article--very interesting. I didn't see where he concluded that there was no sweet spot in the vibration. Is that in another article?
Read the other articles and see if any list sweet spots.

Sweet spots happen when the harmonic frequencies are whole multiples of the fundamental resonant frequency. There aren't any.

However there can be a place where the barrel can rest where the vibration amplitude is minimal and may be the best place.

Last edited:
And the Houston Gun club said 22 inches was the ideal length.

I doubt anyone really knows as each barrel is a bit different.

The oft time mentioned article on the Houston warehouse says the barrel MUST be 21 3/4” long for optimum accuracy. That precise length sets up a vibration pattern that duplicates well from shot to shot.

All barrel's vibration patterns are repeatable from shot to shot. The barrel's dimensions are the same for each shot.

Sweet spots happen when the harmonic frequencies are whole multiples of the fundamental resonant frequency. There aren't any.
That would be a perfect sweet spot, but in practice all you need is for the vibration frequencies that have significant amplitude at the muzzle at bullet exit to cooperate and then you get a decent sweet spot.

Realistically this probably doesn't happen at a node (a point where the sum of the instantaneous vibration amplitude at the muzzle is at zero or a minimum), but rather at an anti-node. Where the amplitude of the vibration is maximum, that's where the muzzle movement is at minimum velocity. You don't care so much where the muzzle is (as long as it's more or less in the same place every time), the important thing is that it's not moving very fast when the bullet exits.

The article correctly shows that there are a lot of complex things going on, but the visualizations have the amplitudes set up so that they are easy to see and examine, they don't have amplitudes that are scaled relative to each other. The article refers to this briefly when it comments that "The higher frequency modes have extremely small amplitudes..."

Another point to keep in mind is that the low frequency vibration modes are moving the muzzle very slowly in terms of bullet motion and it would not be especially important to try to tune for a spot where the muzzle velocity (velocity of the muzzle) due to those modes is a minimum because the motion is so slow due to those modes that it won't affect the point of impact significantly even if bullet exit happens at a relatively inopportune time.

So, in his example, Modes 1 & 2 are moving the muzzle relatively slowly relative to the bullet motion, according to his commentary, and the "higher frequency modes" have extremely small amplitudes". He doesn't tell us where the numerical cutoff for "higher frequency" is, but let's say it's only the top two for the sake of argument.

Now we have 4 out of the 8 modes remaining that we need to worry about. Modes 4 and 6 are stretching and twisting modes, which hardly move the muzzle at all in the target plane. That leaves us with Modes 3 and 5. Even assuming that Modes 3 and 5 have similar amplitudes (which is unlikely to be true) the frequency of Mode 5 is about double that of Mode 3--close enough that they could easily be in relatively close sync--close enough that we could reasonably expect a practically significant (though obviously not perfect) sweet spot.

If their amplitudes are quite different, then we could just focus on the one that's larger and ignore the smaller one when we are looking for our sweet spot.

But either way, there's a good chance we'll be able to find a place where the velocity of the muzzle in the target plane is minimum at bullet exit.

In other words, there may be a lot of complex things going on, but it's not just possible, it's actually probable, that only one or two of the vibration frequencies are going to be affecting the muzzle motion/position significantly at the point of bullet exit.
However there can be a place where the barrel can rest where the vibration amplitude is minimal and may be the best place.
Well, as mentioned above, it's probably not the point where the vibration amplitude is minimal but rather where the velocity of the muzzle motion in the target plane is minimal. But that's correct. Most would call that the sweet spot. I don't believe there's really a formal definition of "sweet spot" that implies it's the absolute ideal from a theoretical standpoint. It's a fairly general term that means a point that gives good results.

Isn't the ideal place for bullets to leave for best accuracy is on the muzzle axis upswing to perfectly compensate for their velocity, slower ones with longer barrel times leave at higher angles to the line of sight?

Last edited:
The optimal point is when the movement of the muzzle in the target plane is as slow as possible. That minimizes any variations in muzzle position due to velocity variations of the projectile.

Where the muzzle is pointing at that particular point in the cycle is irrelevant--that can be adjusted with the sighting device.

To visualize what's happening, take a simple case where the muzzle swings in one dimension only. The initial thought is that we would want to have the muzzle at a node (zero point) in the vibration cycle when the bullet exits, but that is the point at which the muzzle is moving the fastest in the target plane. At the maximum amplitude points in a vibration cycle (top or bottom of the swing), the muzzle stops moving and reverses direction--that area is where its movement in plane of the target is slowest, and if the bullet exits at that point, the results should be the best.

Back