Heavy “bull” barrel vs standard barrel: What do you get?

Why a heavy barrel?
1. More stable to hold from a bench due to mass.
2. Increased ability to absorb heat slowing temperature changes in the barrel which can move point of impact.
3. More rigid barrel structure.
4. Some match bull barrels may have tighter chamber dimensions.
5. Generally more consistently accurate.

So why light barrels on any gun?
1. Lighter to carry especially in rugged terrain.
2. Easier to hold off hand.
3. Generally used for fewer shots at a time.

You probably won't notice differences between heavy barrels and light barrels at short range (100-300 yds) but you do start to see consistency losses to a larger degree at 500+ yds. I shoot a lot at 600 yds, and have shot with a lot of different people and a lot of different rifles. Anything from custom Tacti-cool $5000 GAP's all the way down to great-grandpa's Mauser sporter in 30-06. The common trait that I observe with with light contour barrels is they build excessive heat quickly and they tend to throw fliers and /or the groups consistently open up when getting up around 10+ consecutive shots in a short window of time. There's a reason F Class benchrest rifles all use 1+" dia straight barrels. Remember, every time a bullet travels down your barrel it creates a sine wave "whip" that travels along your barrel. There's some interesting high speed photography that captures "barrel whip" and it's pretty interesting what happens. Bottom line , heavier barrel , less whip and vice versa. I'm no barrel metallurgy expert but I've read some interesting basics over the years.

Last edited:
RoadClam:
Fair enough!
All due respect to those who shoot F-Class! More context from the OP would be helpful.
I don't know the rules of F-Class, Maybe? All that is required is a 1 mile road walk carrying all your gear. I don't know. I can see barrel heat as a problem.

Mountain hunting is different. If barrel heat becomes an issue,you have already failed.

Two different scenarios. Which are we talking about?

I've shot and watched both long, skinny barrels and long, fat barrels 30 inches in length shoot the same lot of 308 ammo equally accurate at long ranges.

Barrels start vibrating, mostly in the vertical plane, as soon as the bullet leaves the cartridge.

Some barrels have an adjustable weight near the muzzle to change its vibration frequency so bullets leave at angles to compensate for their velocity. Slower ones leave at higher angles than faster ones.

HiBC,

You need to go to a highpower rifle match and watch the 300 yard rapid fire stages. They shoot 10 shots in 70 seconds reloading after the first few shots. Typically, 80% of the shots go into the 3" X ring. With bolt action rifles.

Or watch a 1000 yard prone match seeing 5 sighters then 20 record shots fired in 20 minutes and 3/4ths of them in the 10 inch X ring

I don't doubt it,Bart. Thanks!.
Correct me if I'm wrong,but I'd guess the barrelmakers practice stress relief.and the hole goes pretty straight through the middle of the barrel (uniform wall sections)

I have a 30/338 with a Lilja #3 contour. Its n a 20 oz Hi-Tek stock.(OK,I added a few oz steel bedding the receiver,a Husky 5000 I trued on a surface grinder. It shoots 200 gr Accu-Bonds at 2900 fps quite well enough for my needs.

I don't doubt it,Bart. Thanks!.
Correct me if I'm wrong,but I'd guess the barrelmakers practice stress relief.and the hole goes pretty straight through the middle of the barrel (uniform wall sections)
The process is called gun drilling. Barrel blank is spun on centers and the bore reamer is pushed into it. The reamer follows the blank center.

Agreed Bart!! I have not run a gun drill,but I've done some relatively deep hole drilling.Like nearly 12 inches of 17-4 PH with a plain old 5/16 aircraft drill . I had abut 3/8 of the drill to chuck on. The lathe was a 15 in Colchester. It had IIRC,5 in of tailstock travel,and my true position tolerance for the entire length was .010. It was a production part. I did a bunch of them.

I have also looked through some respected name brand gun maker barrels that were visibly not straight. I've seen holes centered at the muzzle not centered at the breech.You won't see it on a custom barrel but you might on a Rugchestingtonage

Even when its not visible,there is a reason I put a best fit gauge pin inside the bore and use an indicator to center...and I have a spider on the other end of the spindle so both ends get dialed in.

Last edited:
HiBC,

All of the USN top match grade 7.62 Garand barrels had about 35 pounds of down force on the barrel where the stock ferrule fit in the lower band. The barrels were bent a little yet tested 1/2 to 2/3 MOA at 600 yards with Sierra 190 HPMK's

I saw that in a gun I tested for a friend. The barrel had a bend in it but it shot reasonably well and good enough for hunting.

I just bought a 116 savage heavy barrel SS just love the gun 7mm mag a friend had it, was not sure about the heavy barrel I think it was a great buy !!!

All of the USN top match grade 7.62 Garand barrels had about 35 pounds of down force on the barrel where the stock ferrule fit in the lower band. The barrels were bent a little yet tested 1/2 to 2/3 MOA at 600 yards with Sierra 190 HPMK's

I'm happy to learn. Thanks!

I can see where if you can't free float it,preload it.

Back