Heavy Barrel 6.5 Creedmore Suggestion

I don't know if you found a rifle yet, but Brownell's has a pretty good deal on a blued 24" HB Threaded Howa barreled action. It's ready for your chassis or stock of choice, they also have an option for FDE Cerakote. It's a little more expensive to rebarrel the first time, but you can convert to a barrel nut system like Savage when it's time to replace the barrel.

Yes, thats the type of cheek weld I got, works great.

About the mag, it a detachable 4 shot mag, stanped steel, as most mags are. Loading it is fine, holds the rounds fine. The issues arise when running the gun, Ive found if I cycle the bolt slow the round will pop out of the mag, jiggle around in the overly generous chamber area and fall into some space where it wont want to chamber. This means digging around in the chamber for that round and hand feeding it. Doesn't happen all the time but can be annoying. If you run the bolt fast this doesn't happen. Also the mag rocks in the opposite of most rifles Ive shot, back to front. (Im not heavily bolt action experienced) it works fine, just seems odd.

I have both the Ruger Precision Rifle and the Ruger American Preditor in 6.5 CM.

You would be suprised to learn shooting both, there really isnt a difference in Accuracy between the two. Both are extremely accurate.

Not sure I would have gotten the RPR had I bought the RAP first.
Agree.

The Ruger American Predators are a steal. Basically the same action and barrel as the Ruger Precision. The Boyds AT-One gives one an inexpensive adjustable stock if you desire those features. Or, if you just need to adjust cheek weld, the $30-$50 kydex riser kits work well.

I have had three RPRs, sold two and upgraded most of the parts on the third outfitted as in integrally suppressed .308Win. They are a good starter rifle if you need a chassis for matches and in reality, they will take most as far as they want to go, same with the Savages. The Tikka and Bergara are better rifles in terms of fit and finish as well as accuracy.

If your budget is in the $500ish range, Ruger American Predator. If it is in the $1000+ range, look at the Bergara. HMR (mini-chassis stock) or BMP (chassis). The BMP is a few steps up from the RPR, but well worth the extra coin. http://bergarausa.com/bergara_b-14_series_bmp_match_percision_rifle.php

Chainsaw, thanks for the explanation. Tell me about annoying... loading the 12Fv was annoying at first as I was having a hard time and was basically loading one at a time until I finally got it.

What would be a reason why the RPR is much more than the Ruger American Predators if they have the same action/barrel? Because of the chasis?

The Boyds At-One does fit to something similar I am looking for.

You that had 3 RPR's, what made you sell two of them?

The Bergara is much more that I am looking to spend. I still have to have the cope in mind also.

Nino,
I will put in another vote for the Bergara HMR B-14. Price point @ $850-$950 depending on where you buy. Magazine fed with easy to find an not expensive mags.
Threaded heavy barrel. Pretty damn smooth action that is a Remington 700 "clone". Quality barrel and adjustable stock. Here is the best part...in my experience, it shoots incredibly well for an off the shelf rifle under a grand. It puts my other 6.5 creedmoor to shame with accuracy and even though I reload for my other rifles, the Bergara ( mine anyways ) will shoot factory Hornady hunting or match ammo so well that I havnt even bothered putting loads together for this gun. I use it as my "grab and go " deer rifle / coyote fixer.
Chris

If you break down the design of the RPR vs the Predator you will see some nuances that lend to , in my opinion, greater off shelf accuracy. This said you could buy a RAP and make it into a similar beast as RPR:

First the "lower" or the stock the RPR "sits" in. More like it just attaches to the Action and Barrel. There is nothing to "bed" or worry about when firing the RPR in terms of settling back into the same spot for repeatability. In the RAP the Action and barrel sit in a stock that after a firing could find the whole thing sitting millimeters off from its last point when you fired. This minute variable means everything isn't the same and hence a good chance the next shot will be "different" now bedding with the V blocks help but again its not perfect, and screws get loose etc. In the RPR the barrel has no real worry in terms of if its "free floating". Harmonics / vibration of the barrel is unobstructed and 360 degrees free to do as it needs. In traditional rifles only the top 180 degrees is fully free and you can take measures to free float it in the stock. Ultimately though given factory materials/stocks after just a few firings and things begin heating up and expansion happens...well you can see that the occasional touch can and does happen in factory stocks of that quality...leading to obstructed harmonics and that pesky "-CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED- happened to that shot" syndrome.
Lastly the weight of the RPR lends itself to very comfortable recoil management and with the adjustability of pull and comb along with surprisingly good trigger..the RPR is just easy to get behind and I find I am much more relaxed when I shoot mine vs my 308 Savage FV ( which shoots amazing as well after the TLC and new stock)
I just acquired a RAP in 6mm and will be doing the step approach to see how each change effects the original out of the box performance.
Wonder if Rueger will ever make a RPR in 300 WM?

Just got back from the range with my Savage 10 6.5 Creedmoor (the one you linked to above but left handed). It's a very adequate rifle and does its job but so far the accuracy hasn't been all that I expected it to be. Although I've had several 3 shot groups around 1/2" at 100 yards, most often 5 shot groups are about an inch or a little over. This is with Hornady American Gunner and Federal Gold Medal Match ammo. I would like to see it shoot consistently under an inch at this distance. I also find that the stock and the grip are not well suited to bench shooting (or most types of precision shooting really) and I'm considering if it's worth losing "production" class status at PRS matches to change them out to something that's a little better. The trigger is great for a factory rifle. The bolt is a little sticky but I'm noticing it's getting smoother as I shoot it.

That's my short take on that one. I'll probably put up a thread about it in a little bit.

On post #42, I wouldn't mind getting that barrel ($399), plus boyd's at one stock ($189) or this stock https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/stock-parts/rifle-stocks/howa-1500-xray-180-chassis-short-action-prod85572.aspx, rail base ($59.99) plus the scope.

What is quality of this barrel? I ask just because I just don't know and not trying to knock on taylorce1, which I thank for his suggestion which caught my attention.

The description says capacity is 5+1, does this mean this is a top load or do I have to get a magazine? I see in the site is has a 10rd mag and a 5rd mag which both are out of stock.

Out of curiosity, how does FFL work. I never ordered a firearm online. There is no shipping fee but there is a fee for the FFL right? Plus tax too.

Thank you very much for your input dakota.potts, sure helps me to break down my list. I did contemplate the Bergara B-14 HMR as well.

Looking forward to your thread on your Savage 10. Thanks again.

The description says capacity is 5+1, does this mean this is a top load or do I have to get a magazine? I see in the site is has a 10rd mag and a 5rd mag which both are out of stock.

Out of curiosity, how does FFL work. I never ordered a firearm online. There is no shipping fee but there is a fee for the FFL right? Plus tax too.

That barreled action has an internal magazine with floorplate, so you will have to load each round from the top. If you want a detachable magazine, you would be better off buying one of the other two rifles you linked. Pretty much every Howa rifle I've been around has been a decent shooter, most of them shoot better than the average person using them.

Ordering online your first time can be daunting, but really it's pretty easy. Bud's, Brownells, Gunbroker, and many other online sales can help you find an FFL who can handle your transfer. Most of them have a "Find an FFL" link to click on, input your zip code and it'll give you a list of FFL transfer agents in your area. Most charge around $25-35 for this service, there is usually no tax unless you purchased the firearm in your state.

So all you do is order your firearm and select an FFL at checkout to have it shipped to. Give the FFL a courtesy call and let them know you ordered a firearm and are having it shipped to them. Then when it shows up go down to the FFL, fill out the paperwork, pay your fee, and take your new lead slinger home. It is really that simple.

Thanks for the help taylorce1. I am really trying to stay away from buying a rifle with stock if I do plan on getting a stock of my choise such as boyd's. Are there other options available as I'm liking the idea of building one?

What would be a reason why the RPR is much more than the Ruger American Predators if they have the same action/barrel? Because of the chasis?

The Boyds At-One does fit to something similar I am looking for.

You that had 3 RPR's, what made you sell two of them?

The Bergara is much more that I am looking to spend. I still have to have the cope in mind also.
A $35 molded stock vs. a chassis. AR15 style handguard, buttstock and grip, plus lower that allows both major styles of magazines, plus a comp.

The RPRs are a decent rifle. But for the money, I think there are better choices. I bought 1, won one and was given another as part of payment for running the American Marksman competition. The one I kept is an integrally suppressed .308 with everything except the action replaced with better parts.

The B-14 HMR is in the exact same price range as the RPR. $850 to $1000 is where I have seen them priced.

Would this kit possibly work?

I'm guessing you're talking about the optional DBM bottom metal that Howa offers. Yes it will work, and is an option but you still have to buy nearly $100 apiece ACIS magazines. So your really close to the price of one of the other rifles you linked. To me I'd rather have the chassis on the RPR, Bergara, or Savage Stealth than the Boyd's At-One.

Back