HEAD SHOTS vs CENTER MASS

centermass or head

Police handgun training- Center mass, Center mass, Center mass. end of discussion.

Joe
Retired Patrol Sgt
Monticello NY

Huge difference between combat in my Marine Corps days and a CCW target. In combat you take what you can get. If you have a clear head shot and his body is behind cover you take it. CCW is all together different you wont be taking 100yrd shots

I practice head shots. It is both a physical and psch. impediment to get over, on the range. All it takes is praciticing with a new frame of mind, and you'll see how much better you shoot.

Smaller handgun rounds can work in close ranges(under 20ft or so) but that is where training & marksmanship factor into it.

Smaller handguns can work just fine well beyond 20 feet.

FAMs(federal air marshals) are a great example of this point. FAMs must drill a terrorist or subject quickly but avoid any passengers or crew members near or behind the threat.

LOL, we used to scavenge leftover Q targets from the trash where the FAMs (as you call them) deposited them after training at Dallas Pistol Club. I can assure you that as a group, there was absolutely nothing remarkable about their shooting abilities.

Put one or two shots into the chest to sort of get the bad guy's attention. While he's got that stunned look :eek: on his face, put the third one into his forehead. This type of shooting technique is called The Mozambique Shooting Technique. It really does work pretty good on people who are all doped up or who are heavily intoxicated. This shooting technique works well with an AR/M4 clone at close distances, especially when used in conjunction with a good red dot, amber dot, green dot or one of the newer blue dot sight systems. It generally works pretty good too with a big bore handgun too.

Put one or two shots into the chest to sort of get the bad guy's attention. While he's got that stunned look on his face, put the third one into his forehead. This type of shooting technique is called The Mozambique Shooting Technique. It really does work pretty good on people who are all doped up or who are heavily intoxicated. This shooting technique works well with an AR/M4 clone at close distances, especially when used in conjunction with a good red dot, amber dot, green dot or one of the newer blue dot sight systems. It generally works pretty good too with a big bore handgun too.
I would think it works pretty good in a HD situation with a shotgun, any shotgun, any gauge, any size shot. Something about a face full of shot after taking two to the middle of the chest would take the starch out of the nastiest meth head even if he was wearing body armor, was 7' tall and 400 pounds of muscle and bone.

Old Grump, you're right. Using a shotgun at close range and putting a load of shot into the bad guy's face does work. The one main downside to this kind of shooting is that it's really bad for his complexion... If you know what I mean.

I am aiming for the head.
Center mass works too.

I don't think one should be partial to just one method.

The real tactic to be used is to shoot till the BG goes down, whether head shot or center mass.

I think with Snipers/Marksman vs Infantry/Police, head shots are going to be more useful because they're trained to shoot the head due to loss of ballistic power with long range.

Police are taught to shoot center mass because a 6 month Police Academy isn't going to train on precison with head shots, they train to shoot center mass because it's easier to do.

Would our armed forces do better if they were trained like Ninja's to shoot head shots only? I doubt it; It takes too much focus out of a stressful situation.

Back