Having a tough time deciding on a model 70

I have three model 70 Winchesters two pre-64 and one 1976 xtr they are all great rifles they will all give me 1" groups at 100yds they are 270win-257Roberts-30-06Rem !!!

I have one of the recent deluxe featherweight 30-06. I forget the exact wording on the floor plate. It is heavier than my earlier push feed featherweight. All steel. I have this strictly for shooting at the club and for the fancy walnut and hi-grade blue. Contrary to other views this an heirloom gun and IMHO a fine choice for so-called pride of ownership. We can nit pick the words but people should understand the phrase without making an argument. If those are not the right words then tell me how I am supposed to say that and not have to read a post about how a person can be proud of any old beater. We are simply trying to communicate here.

Hunting is a whole different story and if a person is really serious he should be looking beyond the old war horse. With out getting into those choices, I did recently see a really excellent woods rifle in a model 70. This was a push feed era Carbine. That had a thin 20" barrel and had look and feel of birch. I absolutely have no need for another 'deer' rifle and yet almost purchased this one. The gun did look good compared to what most companies offer today. I bet if reintroduced these would sell today. I dont think this should be hard to locate another one if someone was determined to carry a M70 all day long hunting.

I think the best gun is infinitely more important than nit picking caliber choices. You could take one of these carbines in any caliber and be fine.

I know the OP wants something a little higher grade than this carbine and has got some good advise on the featherweight vs anything heavier for hunting. I'll toss the old carbine in the mix- FWIW.

Ok, I found an M70 carbine in what appears to be a better grade of wood than I remember. The perspective on the photo is misleading. The barrel is short. The description says 1980's M70 carbine in 243 with 20" barrel. Also mentions the gun is very light. Not expensive either. A lot less than any comparable new gun. It may not sound manly but a 243 will kill deer size game all day long.

Attachments

• M70_carbine.jpg
    M70_carbine.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 13
Don't have one. (70} All my Rem bolt rifles are shooters nothing intended to bequeath in new or lightly used condition to others. Overtime they too may do the same with such antiquated tool and that is a "Shame on them!!" My rifles are to shoot and make use of ~ not to admire hanging on a wall a century later.

Staying on subject:
Those bolt rifles I have are all light-weight versions. All have wimpy skinny barrel's and all target surprisingly well. If you're a weekend bench rest shooter? buy a Super Grade. If you're a woodsy liking hunter individual? You'll appreciate in time how sweet it is to tote a lightweight by days end.
Tip: You're paying the freight on that new rifle. "Buy something practical for you." Not some other.

I have a couple of South Carolina made M70's, one a super grade in 30-06 * * * The super weighs in at 9 lbs, 3 oz scoped.

Good gawd, man. :eek: I've got a couple of M1 Garands that weigh less than that.

In carrying the rifles, there is a very noticeable difference in weight between the super grade and the featherweights.

No doubt.

Back