Having a tough time deciding on a model 70

Is there any difference in the action and barrel between the two models?

Man it makes me wish I'd never looked at the specs. I'd probably be blissfully unaware of the weight, enjoying a super grade.

Then again, I'd probably get to my stand again and die again because the thing weighs nearly 10lb. I've only got about a half mile to walk into my land, but it's in the hilly part of Wisconsin. Wears me right out when I'm fully decked out to sit for a long time.

I told you the fix for that in posts #6 and # 7......

I usually carry my rifle in the woods, especially when hunting, so as to be ready. However, the sling is not just a shooting aid, as you can also use it to sling your rifle over your shoulder when the occasion merits. I like a leather, military pattern sling as was intended for the Springfield. I think it's called an M1907 sling.

Is there any difference in the action and barrel between the two models?

Their are long and short actions in both models, depending on caliber. The barrels differ in profile and length. My LA 30-06 SG has a 24" sporter profile barrel while the featherweights all have a light profile 22" barrel. The 308 and 7-08 are SA while the 270 is in a LA. If you want a SG, then that's what I would get. Use a good sling to carry the rifle as suggested in a previous post and you should be good to go. I also use 1-1/4" M1907 slings on most of my rifles.

I usually carry my rifle in the woods, especially when hunting, so as to be ready.
I carry mine when I'm anticipating a deer up close ..... but when I'm walking up in the hills, I need both hands for the binoculars, which are more the important tool for seeing distant deer before they see you .....

However, the sling is not just a shooting aid, as you can also use it to sling your rifle over your shoulder when the occasion merits.

.... Once the tag is filled, and the animal gutted, I sling the rifle across my back .... it is much easier to drag the deer with the rifle secured that way ....

I like a leather, military pattern sling as was intended for the Springfield. I think it's called an M1907 sling

Indeed it is the m1907 pattern sling ..... I like TripleK's model 64a .... 1 1/4" wide (more comfortable in use, both looped up or slung), durable, made in USA (or still was when I bought my last one) .... under 50 bucks, and well worth it, IMO.

jimbob86 said:
I told you the fix for that in posts #6 and # 7......

I'm all for increasing endurance, strength, and losing a few pounds for hunting, but that doesn't change the fact that a lighter rifle is easier to carry. I've carried a lot of heavy firearms (M60, M240B, and M249) in my prime over long distances, sometimes more than 20 miles in a single day, and I can't tell you one time I didn't wish I was carrying a M16/M4. Nor if I'm backpacking in to a spike camp am I going to want to carry a heavy rifle, every ounce saved eventually adds up to pounds. Saving those pounds means all my extra endurance goes into finding that animal and not carrying weight.

I realize not all hunters hunt the same way, and a rifle I carry to the blind in Oklahoma can be vastly different than what I hunt with in Colorado. Sometimes it isn't, but while I'm not adverse to shooting heavy rifles I still prefer the sub 8lbs rifles I carry hunting elk, mule deer, and pronghorn in Colorado. Have you ever tried using a 26" barreled .243 Win that weighs 13+ lbs in a blind? I have, and can tell you it sucks!

There isn't a huge gap in shootability between an 8lb FWT rifle with optics and a 10lb Super Grade in .30-06. However, there is a huge difference in the way they handle the FWT will come up faster, point easier, and track the target better. A person can learn to shoot a light rifle with more than acceptable accuracy from the bench and field positions. However, you can't make a heavy rifle handle any better in hunting situations unless you lighten it up.

Pops1085 said:
I just want a rifle I’ll be proud to have for the rest of my life and can pass on to the next generation and the super grade fits that. It’s just so heavy. Tough call.

I missed this last part when I first posted. There is nothing wrong with pride in ownership, but you can be proud in owning a cheap Savage Walmart, Dicks, or Cabela's special as well. The most important thing you're going to pass on to the next generation is memories, and they might have stronger memories of you attached to a cheap rifle that you've been using. So whatever you buy go make some memories with the people you want to make them with, or when your gone it'll likely be sold.

There isn't a huge gap in shootability between an 8lb FWT rifle with optics and a 10lb Super Grade in .30-06. However, there is a huge difference in the way they handle the FWT will come up faster, point easier, and track the target better. A person can learn to shoot a light rifle with more than acceptable accuracy from the bench and field positions. However, you can't make a heavy rifle handle any better in hunting situations unless you lighten it up.

Given the limited amount of trigger time I have in a given year, I spend as much of it as possible with one rifle ..... when it comes to crunch time, your rifle should be as familiar to you as your own hands, or as close as possible.

However, you can't make a heavy rifle handle any better in hunting situations unless you lighten it up.

"Heavy" is subjective. If you are used to handling a 10 pound rig, it ain't heavy.

jimbob86 said:
"Heavy" is subjective. If you are used to handling a 10 pound rig, it ain't heavy.

Heavy isn't subjective, if you're used to a 10lb rifle a 8lb rifle is lighter and handles faster. If you can handle a 10lb rifle why can't you enjoy an 8lb rifle?

Heavy isn't subjective, if you're used to a 10lb rifle a 8lb rifle is lighter and handles faster. If you can handle a 10lb rifle why can't you enjoy an 8lb rifle?

Because the 10 pound one is the one my hands are familiar with.

jimbob86 said:
Because the 10 pound one is the one my hands are familiar with.

Now you're just being cantankerous! There is nothing wrong with using a rifle you're familiar with. I just choose to be a little more open with my thinking towards rifle weights.

I don't know how anyone can feel pride of ownership in a plastic stocked rifle; or sports cars either, for that matter.... But that's just my view.

I just choose to be a little more open with my thinking towards rifle weights.

I am open with all my opinions ..... there are places for light rifles ...... and someone that has near unlimited time and money to shoot many rifles might have the the liberty to have one for each purpose or day of the week ...... but I have found that I, (and the vast majority of people) don't have enough time and money to become familiar enough with just one rifle, let alone "a battery of rifles" ...... add in the time taken to set up rifles and loads for my kids and nephews, and help them in their shooting and hunting ..... there just ain't enough time .... Don't get me wrong, I have a safe full of rifles (most are Military surplus relics) ..... but only hunt with one anymore.

I don't know how anyone can feel pride of ownership in a plastic stocked rifle

While "pretty is as pretty does" makes sense to me, I won't be putting a plastic stock on mine, even knowing it would probably make it more inherently accurate, and make the cheek riser unnecessary ..... I love that old piece of walnut and steel ..... it's familiar.

At 67, I'm firmly in the walnut (satin/oiled) and blued (deep, high gloss) styling. But, I've gotten a few laminated stocked, matte-blued rifles, and a couple of "plastic" stocked, "painted" barreled rifles.

Though I much prefer the former, I don't rule out the latter! They shoot! (well, unless you squeeze the buffalo so tightly, that the firearm is one that should be turned in for more than you paid for it!).

While "pretty is as pretty does" makes sense to me, I won't be putting a plastic stock on mine, even knowing it would probably make it more inherently accurate, and make the cheek riser unnecessary ..... I love that old piece of walnut and steel ..... it's familiar.
I cant enjoy pretty rifles. I relegate them to safe queens and wall hangers.

I've looked at Model 70's many times and though I've shot well with them, I could never bring myself to buy one. I don't care for the "controlled round feed" because I shoot from the bench a lot and it's a pain.

Although Remington 700s have been subject to trigger recalls, I really like the action and after doing a pillar-bedding job on them, they do what I want them to do and don't weigh a ton. Triggers have always been better to adjust than Winchester's and the lock-time seems faster. Since the great Rem. trigger controversy, about all my 700s have Timneys and they are the "cats meow"!!! That said, some close friends have had great success with their Winchester Featherweights.

1,200px is too big.
"...read a lot of Jack O’Connor stuff and it clearly influenced him..." Capstick has that effect too. It's his fault I have a desperate need for a double rifle. Doesn't have to be a .470 Capstick though.
"...the super grade..." That one if your budget allows it. Neither is ever going to be a collector piece, but if you're spending a pile of money anyway, it might as well be on the higher end rifle. Difference in MSRP is about $400. It should probably be a .270 Win as well.

Wife and I were going into the store.
Asked her if we needed a cart;
She said no, wanted a few things.
So we go thru the produce section and she picks up a 10# bag of potatoes.
I offered to carry it - She said no, she had it.
We finished shopped for 25 mins.
she never put that bag of potatoes down till we get to the check out stand.
I asked her if it had gotten heavier - She said no.

So if a 115# older lady can carry 10# without it "getting heavy", I can too!!!

May I muddy the waters??
Locate a Sears "Ted Williams Model U73", it a contract M70 made for SEARs.
Mostly is 3006, some in .270W.
but a true M70 with a Maple stock. Think of it as a M670 /M770.
You can swap barrels to different calibers as the 06 case head is common to the .243 7-08 rounds.

Back