• I have shot a hi-power

Votes: 127 75.6%
  • I have shot a clone

Votes: 35 20.8%
  • I have not shot either

Votes: 31 18.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The Hi-Power is my favorite 9mm pistol. I have had seven of them over the years and am down to two. All of mine were shooters, even my T-Series and C-Series ones. I do not collect guns just for show. One of my favorite of the clones is the Tisas Regent strangely enough. I was thinking of picking up a FM (Argentine) clone that popped up locally, but am also interested in getting one of th SA-35 (Springfield) when they come out.

The BHP is one of my favorite pistols. I have found it to be comfortable to shoot, and more accurate than I am.

yes, and they are my favorite 9mm to shoot. With the thin grips, a vg fit to my hand and natural pointing. Magazine safety removed and 4 to 5 lb trigger pulls.

I love the Browning High Power. Honestly, one of my favorite guns. May have been JMB's, too. (lol, joke since it came after the 1911 and did away with the grip safety)

It has a nice rate of fire, smooth recoil, and looks really nice. Which never hurts. Just an all-around fun gun to shoot.

Would it be adequate for EDC here in 2021? Sure. Depends on you and your commitment to training to sweep the safety off. Personally, I don't think I'd carry it. But I also would trust it to save my life after shooting the hollow points of choice through it. I remember my old one didn't like Remington Golden Sabres.

Anyway, enjoy!

IMHO, the BHP grip and grip angle and the way the gun balances are all darn near perfect. I feel the same way about 1911’s, CZ 75’s and CZ P-01’s, Sig P2XX’s, and HK P30’s and P2000’s. Like and own all of these.

Many years ago I shot a friend's High Power. It was the days when the .45 ruled IPSC, year, before it became USPSA.

When we shot a lot of steel it was a better platform, with the extra shots.

I liked the feel and reliability. I ended up buying a Hungarian High Power and it was a great gun. I never had a failure of any kind with it. It fit my hands and my wife's. If the wife is happy you can do a lot more shooting.

Looking at the suggested retail price of the SA High Power it looks like my safe will have another gun visit it when not at the range.

Nothing fits the hand like a Hi-Power.
Ain’t that the truth. I have one made in Argentina (Industria Argentina). Very nice gun. Workman-like….it doesn’t have the classy blue of the FN/Brownings but it works just fine.

I have never owned a real Browning Hi-Power, but I have shot one. I've always admired the HP for its looks and ergonomics, but I'm no expert on them by a far stretch.

An older acquaintance of mine owns a 1967 or '68 vintage HP made in Belgium. I think that it's just a common HP, as it has the teensy sights and no special attachments of any sort. He asked me to look it over one day and to take it to the range to determine if it still shot well and was in serviceable condition.

After a field strip and inspection, I found no problems, so I lubed it and took it to the range. I liked the single action trigger, as it had a nice, crisp break. It was accurate, even with the almost nonexistent sights. I had no malfunctions with reloaded 115 grain JHP's. I offered to buy the gun from my acquaintance, but he's a hoarder and only asked, "How would I replace it?" He hasn't fired the gun in 40 years and keeps it in a sock in his dresser. He had no ammo for it. I took the pic of it below.

I did own an FEG P9RK for a long time. It was a nice gun, but I finally sold it as I had acquired many more 9mm's and didn't really need it any longer. The trigger on that gun was not nearly so nice as the Browning.

AmucM9e.jpg

I had a friend who had a couple of them. I shot them OK, but I didn't see anything all that thrilling about them. Since he passed, I've come across them for sale, but they aren't one of my "Want" guns. I would take one over a 1911 anytime though.

I've owned a couple of clones. A FEG, and an Argentine copy. They were both good guns that I liked, but eventually sold off when some other bright shiny thing caught my eye.

I've got a couple of CZ-75's now that are "sort of" Hi-Power like, at least have a lot of the same feel to me.

I might buy another one some day if the gun, the money and the mood all hit together at the same time.

I not only have shot a Hi Power, I have owned a Hi Power (an early 1990s vintage Mk III, I believe) since the late 1990s when I purchased it from my neighbor, who had bought it and fired it once.

I've put probably 3,000 to 5,000 rounds through it.

It is, without a doubt, one of my favorite handguns. Superbly accurate, easy to shoot, fast to get back on target... just a joy.

The original grips didn't fit my hand worth a darn, so I replaced them with a set of wrap around Hogue rubber grips, and it's as if the grips had been custom sculpted to my hand.

The only reason I won't carry it is because I don't like carrying single-action pistols.

I used to own a "made in Belgium, assembled in Portugal". It was very nicely finished, and I liked shooting it. The trigger was OK, but not a "target trigger". I also have one that my uncle brought back from WWII that was apparently made after Belgium was in German control (lots of little eagle proofs). Like most WWII vets, he didn't talk about his experiences much, so I never got any details on how he came to have it. The finish is what we sometimes call "wartime finish". Still a handsome gun. The trigger on this one is not very good at all. I still like shooting it, but don't very often.

.40 S&W

I've got one, but in .40 cal. As others have noted, the gun fits the hand well and has been reliable with any ammo I've tried in it. My round count is low on this one, likely not quite 1000 rds.

Purchased new about 15 yrs ago. I carried it for a while, even shot a couple of IDPA matches with it, but stopped doing so pretty early on. The spur trigger gouged me using 4'oclock carry when in a motor vehicle. Also, the ambi safety had the annoying habit of getting wiped off as well while holstered and I'd find the gun with the safety off. With no grip safety, this was disturbing. A rowel hammer and a single safety would likely fix both problems, and I really should do that.

Trigger pull was heavy, but lightened as I shot and dry practiced. Still pretty stiff, but far from unserviceable. The great grip soaked up .40 recoil just fine and I found the .40 BHP no more of a handful to shoot than my other 9mm pistols. I've never had a problem with hammer bite while shooting. Oddly, I never shot the gun for group off support, but accuracy was as good as any other semi pistol I've got.

If I ever fix the safety/hammer issue, I'd likely go back to carrying it again, as overall I liked the pistol alot and shot it pretty well.

I haven’t shot either, but I couldn’t be more excited about a new gun release. I will be selling my way into this and a Tract Toric this year!

I've had my Hi Power for more years in my life now than I didn't have it!

:eek:

Never a single jam yet, and it remains the easiest 9mm for me to shoot accurately along with the HK P7.

I plan to pick up the SA-35 at some point after they've been produced for a while to serve as a workhorse and keep the miles off my future heirloom Hi Power. :cool:

I have owned Hi Powers, including FM MAP (Argentine), Browning types, Inglis, and an early P35 with Waffenamt stamps. No complaints all around, I like them a lot. They are not especially "target accurate" but are super reliable and plenty accurate enough for work. They don't fit the hand as well as some of the more ergonomic guns available nowadays, and the triggers are typically awful, but in spite of that it is one of my favorite pistols. I have one in pieces sitting on my project shelf right now, and someday I'll put it together and I'll have another one.

My Ww2 Uncle gave a Canadian Inglis lHi Power to my father. I have been shooting it since I was 14 years old ( I am now 77). IT is a fine, reliable and excellent shooting pistol.

Back