Votes: 127 75.6%
  • I have shot a clone

Votes: 35 20.8%
  • I have not shot either

Votes: 31 18.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shadow9mm

Seen a lot of discussion about the new Springfield hi-power. My question is, who has shot a hi-power or a clone and what were your thoughts on the platform in general. I shot a clone years back and really liked it. It was back in college well over 15yrs ago, but I still remember it. We shot it alongside a g23 and a baretta 92 clone.

Last edited:
Probably my favorite semi-auto, although the 1911 is right there with it. Nothing fits the hand like a Hi-Power.

I own a ‘72 Hi-Power, and have also owned a nice FEG clone that I gave to a brother.

Have shot the two I own/owned, and 3-4 others. I really like them, always on the lookout for another.

I’ve owned two Browning commercial models, two Israeli surplus imports made by FN in Belgium, and one Charles Daly clone.

Ergonomically the Hi Power fits my hand well. I can activate the safety, hit the magazine release, etc without shifting my hand much at all (and having stubby fingers means that isn’t always the case). I like the older factory checkered wood grips the best.

Shooting wise the recoil is pleasant to me and the pistol tracks on target well in strings of fire. The trigger, even without the magazine disconnect, has been “meh”. Frankly the SIG classic P series pistols and Beretta 92 that I’ve owned had better SA triggers, despite those not being SAO. The break on the Hi Power is stiff and the reset is long and not very tactile. This isn’t the end of the world, my point is simply that compared to a 1911 the trigger isn’t in the same category, imo.

My biggest issue with the Hi Power is my support hand thumb likes to engage the slide release. This causes me to both have failures to lock the slide back on the last round as well as inadvertently lock the slide back in the middle of a magazine. I can modify my grip to get around this.

I wouldn’t have owned a Hi Power as many times as I did if I didn’t like it. I’d be interested in trying a SA-35.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inglis HI Power

I have a Canadian Inglis license built Hi Power. Really nice pistol, fun to shoot.

I have a  "Assembled in Portugal"  FN in 40S&W. It shoots well, and as TunnelRat says, it fits well in the hand. The recoil is just fine, but their triggers are nothing to write home about, and the hammer bites! I'm more of a revolver guy, and if this Hi-Power had no sentimental value, I would have sent it down the road like I did with my SR1911-10.

I have owned and shot my H.P. over the years. I have found it to be very reliable in function (faultless ejection, etc.), and accurate with my handloads. I did not like the factory slab grips so I replaced them with the more functional and ergonomic wrap-around rubber grips. I also swapped the spur hammer for a round one...but that was just a cosmetic choice.
Note that what appears to be rust on the slide serrations is merely an artifect of reflected light... there is no rust on that gun.
00-2TVObsA_RjFZ1FzVZsfiy1e7Bpf7wJ44XV0TxD8xI-cv5NmGAgYpsr2E3YL6BN6S4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA

00-2TVObsA_RjFZ1FzVZsfiy1e7Bpf7wJ44XV0TxD8xI-ez4SyY1IPanvBzufCtQ6U7

Last edited:
My parents’ neighbor has an original FN-made high power. Thing was a joy to shoot, only gripe was the grip and the slide bite/hammer bite. But once I knew what to do, it was just a pure dream to shoot. Silky smooth everything about it. Definitely is a prized possession. It’s no 1911…. But then again, what else is??? Hahah

Very nice pistol, and this new SA clone, I wonder how it will do.

I have owned and shot a number of the FN/Browning Hi Powers since the '60s. Yes, I am a fan. They are svelte, uber reliable pistols. That being said, every version owned to date hammer bites me. Still love the Hi Powers.

I’ve had the FEG version for four years now and love it. Fits well in the hand, balances so well you don’t even feel like it’s an all steel gun. As soon as the SA35 comes down to earth it’s at the top of my list for sure.

Make de Coke can dance!

I bought mine used in 1979. I still don’t know all the models. It was made in Belgium and had the tang hammer and adjustable rear sight. I could make a Coke can dance at 50 yards. Had a Bianchi pancake for it and it fit OK in my Bianchi Phantom that I had for my Model 29.
As others have noted, it fit my hand perfectly. But, the babies needed shoes and everything went down the road except for my Model 65 and an 870 in the early 90s. I never replaced the HP as I am not a 9mm fan.

Last edited:
I've had, and shot, a Mk. III for about 20 years. A really nice gun. I'm used to doing extensive mods to 1911s, but all I've done to the HP is swap the grips for checkered wood, and black-out the dots on the rear sight.

Relatively new BHP owner, always wanted one after passing on one in favor of a S&W 59 when I purchased my first legal handgun at 21. Came across this very clean 80’s model & snatched it right up & I’m pleased to have this in my humble collection of classics.
XQ8mFpFl.jpg

ihNXSAAl.jpg

sfObYCgl.jpg

Had my commercial one since 1967, my only complaint is that because it was designed around the 9MMP it can't be chambered in 45ACP. Mine shoots lead bullets very well.

I've been shooting BHPs for about 30 years. Maybe some dozens, some in service, some of my own.

For self defense I prefer my Glocks, but for military activities such as swimming, operating in riverine environments, sand or mud, I prefer any Hi Power instead.

Enviado desde mi MAR-LX3A mediante Tapatalk
a52b33f247a8dbd3ffde52e48f81b25a.jpg

Last edited:
The thread Title says "..Hi Power".

Does this mean Browning or a clone? I only shot a Browning. Very nice gun but only a few shots were taken. Owners always seem to highly recommend them.
I never buy imitations of original guns, other than the several imported "AKM" clones I own.

As for any Hi Power clones, I had not prev. heard of them.

Coincidence: our club's bulletin board lists a Hi Power, near-mint condition.
;) You must live near Memphis TN (in TN) to have access to the gun.;)

Note cards on the bulletin board (the physical type of board...) are for deals done Only in person. I have no idea who the seller is.

The private shooting club is MSSA (Memphis Sport Shooting A.), Lakeland TN.

Last edited:
There have been so many M1911s made-original Governement, Colt Commercial models, other manufacturers-that only real collectors distinguish between them IMHO.

I bought new 2 recent vintage hard chrome models late, 90's. Very pretty, terrible trigger pull on both. I prefer Browning's other famous gun.

I have shot a FN BROWNING HI-POWER

I love the looks and class. I hate the FAT grip from the double stack.

I have carried and shot 1911 for 45 years. A double stack does not FIT my hand. Same with the BLOCK. Just doesn't feel right.

Sure, I owned a MKIII till a year or so ago, carried it for a few years as well.

My thoughts?

One of the best, most comfortable pointing guns out there, just a joy in the hands.

Shooting? Not so much. Mine’s trigger was heavy for a SAO, even with the mag safety removed, with a lot of mush. Mine didn’t like 147 grain ammo at all, accuracy all over the place, and mine both hammer and slide bit the crap out of my hand. I actually have a scar on the webbing of my hand, albeit very small, from shooting it a lot when I carried it.

I wasn’t unhappy to sell mine and don’t plan on buying another one when things like Sig SAO Legion, Wilson EDC X9, 9mm 1911s, SAO CZs and the upcoming DWX exist

Back