Have we lightened up on 1911 shooters finally?

Regarding firearms, like a lot of subjects, there are a certain set of people who stroke their own egos by mouthing off the most while knowing the least. Consider credentials before deciding who to listen to.

I carry either a full size Colt 1911 or a Sig 228.

If anyone out there wants to roast me for my choices, go for it! I am not easily offended. :D

How else would you carry the only real man stopping gun. Every one knows the 9mm will bounce off people.

Just kidding.

Relevancy. You know why those who felt they had to defend their choice of handgun rallied against the 1911 at one point? Because they saw it as a reasonable "threat" to the dominance of their preferred handgun.

There is a reason that Nick Saban doesn't spend time talking about Rutgers.

:)

I have issues with carrying a cocked and locked 1911 concealed. Under the shoulder is one thing, even OWB as long as it has a thumb break that goes between the hammer and slide. IWB no way.

As far as capacity, as far as a full size the weight per round seems off to me. But to think you need all them bullets, probably not. 98% of the time a 5 shot revolver is fine.

I have issues with carrying a cocked and locked 1911 concealed. Under the shoulder is one thing

That makes sense, if throughout the course of your day you never walk in front of anyone.

gw44 your instructor once again proves the point that there are knotheads in every occupation and profession.

"Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He might know how to use it."

I own two 1911s, so bad guys have no reason to fear me.

gw44 said:
My CPL instructor said don't trust your life to a 1911 !!!
You CPL instructor is a moron.

I'm CPL instructor and I only carry a 1911 (unless I have to resort to pocket carry, for which I have a Colt Mustang -- which is sort of like a mini-1911). My CPL instructor carries a 1911. He owns a gun shop and a shooting range. He could carry anything he wants. He's been carrying a 1911 for at least the twenty years I've known him.

Charlie Askins once said his editors told him to write provocative articles to rile people up and get readers to write to the magazine-and presumably buy it.
Jeff Cooper was the High Priest of the M1911 cult, now that he is gone there is no one of similar stature to defend the faith.

remember a few years ago you were deemed irresponsible if you carried a big heavy, low capacity, hair triggered, manual safety, less than uber reliable, outdated 1911 for protection. What gives???

it was "years ago" as you said. Why the re-examination of an old argument that you have to "remember from years ago"?

I carry a BHP .. its an old outdated gun and if someone doesn't like it, they don't have to carry one. I tend to focus on how I feel about things not how other people feel about them.

I don't care what other people carry.

If I do feel it is inadequate in today's world, I'll say it.

That all aside, the firearm could mean absolutely everything from zero to the left if you don't have the proper mindset and training.

So yeah, if you're not trained on said platform and you haven't put in work in the elements. Shot on the move, supine, ducked, on the side of your body doing reloads and kicking away, etc etc etc aka taught "gunfighting" then yes. I will tell you to get a better firearm.

Not because of anything emotional either. Not at all. The reason why is because, in those aforementioned classes where your gun may be susceptible to certain abuse, they've come out on top while the others have choked.

To be fair! In the 1911s defense. Everyone and their mother makes a variation of the 1911. So that's why some people who "hate" brand A, B, and C will recommend brand X, Y, and Z.

timothy75 said:
Aren't we still supposed to shun them and say ''How much is your life worth?''

Hmmm...

Colt M1991A1 Compact -- $434.59

Golden Saber 230-grain JHP -- ~ $30/25 = $1.20/round x 6 = $7.20

I guess my life is worth $441.79

Constantine said:
So yeah, if you're not trained on said platform and you haven't put in work in the elements. Shot on the move, supine, ducked, on the side of your body doing reloads and kicking away, etc etc etc aka taught "gunfighting" then yes. I will tell you to get a better firearm.
I respectfully submit that this is illogical. If someone hasn't been trained in "gunfighting" (to use your term), then they are untrained regardless of what firearm they carry. What is a "better" firearm for someone who is not trained to use a firearm?

If I'm carrying a 1911 but I haven't been through all the training you advocate (either with a 1911 or with any other firearm), is an XDs a "better" firearm for me to carry in my untrained naivete? Why?

I respectfully submit that this is illogical. If someone hasn't been trained in "gunfighting" (to use your term), then they are untrained regardless of what firearm they carry. What is a "better" firearm for someone who is not trained to use a firearm?

If I'm carrying a 1911 but I haven't been through all the training you advocate (either with a 1911 or with any other firearm), is an XDs a "better" firearm for me to carry in my untrained naivete? Why?
I mean it in more of a "I won't tell Ken Hackathorn to quit carrying that silly gun" type of way.

Can someone successfully stop a threat with little to no training? Sure.

Would they be better off with a higher capacity modern handgun in the event of multiple assailants and some formal training? Heck yes. :)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Lightened up on 1911 shooters finally? I must have my head in the sand, I never noticed that people were giving them grief.

Back