Have the tables turned against Kimber?

Rik said:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I DO need an extended safety to work it without taking my finger off the trigger. [/quote]

Apparently, you need reading lessons or do you suffer from Attention Deficit Disorder! ;) LOL

------------------
Be mentally deliberate but muscularly fast. Aim for just above the belt buckle Wyatt Earp
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel! BigG
"It is error alone that needs government support; truth can stand by itself." Tom Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1785
We don't have a chaplain here, but I don't view that as any major problem... You can rest assured
that you will not go in that bag until I've said a few appropriate words over you
R. Lee Ermy as Sgt Major Haffner, from The Siege of Firebase Gloria
If you have to shoot a man, shoot him in the guts. It may not kill him... sometimes they die slow, but it'll paralyze his brain and arm and the fight is all but over Wild Bill Hickok

B!gG, your flame was:
>>Rik, I just re-read our discussion... You put your safety on while your finger is on the trigger?!? Bad, bad!!<<

What I SAID was:
>>I DO need an extended safety to work it without taking my finger off the trigger.<<

You ASSumed that "work it" meant putting it ON. While I was obviously speaking of taking it off. Know what happens when you ASSume B!gG? You make an ASS out of U and ME sit back and laugh about it.

Then U and ME are @$$ES together, Rik!

------------------
Be mentally deliberate but muscularly fast. Aim for just above the belt buckle Wyatt Earp
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel! BigG
"It is error alone that needs government support; truth can stand by itself." Tom Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1785
We don't have a chaplain here, but I don't view that as any major problem... You can rest assured
that you will not go in that bag until I've said a few appropriate words over you
R. Lee Ermy as Sgt Major Haffner, from The Siege of Firebase Gloria
If you have to shoot a man, shoot him in the guts. It may not kill him... sometimes they die slow, but it'll paralyze his brain and arm and the fight is all but over Wild Bill Hickok

From some experience and reading the postings, it looks like Kimbers are a little like contrary Mary - when they are good, they are very, very good, and when they are bad, they are horrid!

Jim

OK, I've made up my mind: I'm going to buy a Kimber. Oops, I meant, I'm not going to buy a Kimber. DANG! I MEANT I'm going to buy a Kimber. NOT! Ohhhhh I'm sooooo confused, and it's all your fault here.

Forget it. I'll buy a Rock River. ;)

If anyone cares, call Kimber and talk to them personally.

I did when I bought my compact stainless (used) they sent me a manual and two take down tools, free of charge even though I offered to pay. They arrived in three days.

I am not a gun authority by any means, but dear lord, this whole kimber thing has gotten out of hand.

Kimbers are nice weapons they are NOT custom guns. They are mass produced. People are missing the point here with Kimber. Custom guns are created ONE at a TIME. Mostly to the customers specs. They cost over 2000 grand for a good custom job. Kimbers are made hundreds at a time and cost around 700 dollars. You fellas do the math.

Be glad you can buy a gun of the Kimber quality for the price but recognise it is NOT a custom gun.

Now get over it, go buy you an ugly old Glock, and I will have my pretty stainless Kimber and we all can go shooting together and blame our misses on the wind, the sun, the stars, and have a great time swapping stories of old guns we sold and shouldnt and guns we should have bought but didnt.

Be happy we are able to buy guns at all.

Merry Christmas, and God Bless us everyone.

Judge Blackhawk

Being the one, or at least one of the top people, that caused Kimber to close down their listserv, I think I am qualified to say Kimber has had some problem with thier QC.

Their problem is not the firearm. All companies have QC problems at times. What makes a company good or bad is how often their are QC problems and how they are delt with.

Kimber decided to hide the problems. That is the wrong approach! All they needed and still need to do is to correct the problems when they come up. I am not saying that they need to go and tell everyone that they are having problems but when problems come up to fix then in a timely and accurate fashion.

Kimber's responce has been denial. When their custom shop ships back a firearm from being repaired with the same problem it went their for, an easily duplicated problem, saying that they could not find a problem there is a major problem. Even worse, when confronted with it their responce is "It will end up with more air time then range time" that is a company that I no longer will do business with.

Like I said earlier, Kimber does build a good product. But if you get one that does not work out of the box, do not count on Kimber fixing it.

Has anyone else heard that it is the polymer frame Kimbers where the out-of-the-box problems mostly are?

BTW, I know of one case in which a guy took his polymer frame Kimber to a smith to get it working. Ramp work, etc. was done, the usual stuff by a guy who absolutely knows what he is doing and has built a lot of competition guns, as well as competing at a very high level himself. When the owner later sent it back to Kimber for some other reason, they told him it was out of spec and unsafe. So far, they are refusing to return the gun to him -- his own property! The smith feels that Kimber has become so successful so quickly that they have become a little arrogant. (My limited understanding is that S&W, for example provides specs for their guns, and if one they ship is out of spec and you have a gunsmith bring it up to spec, there is no problem with the S&W warranty. But Kimber, probably not alone, does not provide those specs, so you either send it back to them or run the risk of an adventure like this guy above is having.)

Whew! Glad I didn't read all of this before buying my first .45 after twenty-plus years of shooting .357s - otherwise I wouldn't have the Stainless Gold Match I bought two weeks ago. I still trust the wheelguns more, but this Kimber is completely reliable and very accurate. It fed the three brands of hollowpoints I tried when shooting with my dad and the garden variety off-brand FMJ range fodder offered up by my neighborhood "you have to buy your ammo here" indoor range. I know it was a lot for a plinker, but hey, I guess I got lucky. Also, thanks to everyone for all of the useful information and opinions on the site, and Happy New Year!

Back