Have I missed the boat?

Currently, I'm buying what I can and making due. For example, I bought a lb. of AA9 for my .357 and IMR 4198. Both were not on the top of my list but I can make due. I am hoping that for some unique incident, some small pistol primers will pop up.

Until then, my most recent activity was making lead ingots so I can cast 9mm bullets. I have 35lbs of lead for 9-122 bullets so I'll have a decent stash of bullets. Then, I collected a lot of brass, cleaned, and stored them in 50cal cans. With down time, I sorted them first by head stamp, then by 1x fired and 2x+. For some like my Speers which I plan to load with GD, I de-primed and grouped them by weight. I'll save the 1x fired cases and prep the cases until the cast bullets are ready. I have powder/primer ready for the 9mm but need Bullseye for my .45 so I'll just cast and pc bullets until I get the powder. The same goes with my rifle brass. In addition, I'll use a mandrel to expand the necks and check every case for concentricity and group there too. The best are for my long-range shooting; second for target/hunting; third for practice. I group my bullets too by weight and length from ogive to base. A lot of time can be spent prepping your brass. At the outdoor range, don't stand there but ask shooters if they want their brass, if not, take the brass AND the box. Collect any brass you want and atleast clean them with your tumbler and sort them by cartridge type.

Still waiting on primers and powder. I believe I have all the necessary equipment (knowledge aside) to start. I found a bunch of 44,357,308 and 45 brass I had squirreled away years ago and had forgot about, I generated 250+ of 9 at the range the other day so brass isnt a concern yet. still waiting on my order of 9mm bullets I ordered. I also reconfigured my office/gunroom to accommodate reloading, then I started looking at what others have for reloading benches.... now I have bench envy!

Still waiting on primers and powder. I believe I have all the necessary equipment (knowledge aside) to start. I found a bunch of 44,357,308 and 45 brass I had squirreled away years ago and had forgot about, I generated 250+ of 9 at the range the other day so brass isnt a concern yet. still waiting on my order of 9mm bullets I ordered. I also reconfigured my office/gunroom to accommodate reloading, then I started looking at what others have for reloading benches.... now I have bench envy!
You wouldn't envy mine. My bench is my kitchen table. I bolted my press to a piece of 2x6 board and use wood working clamps to hold it to the table, in between meals of course....

My bench is my kitchen table. I bolted my press to a piece of 2x6 board and use wood working clamps to hold it to the table, in between meals of course....

You either are not married, or have a VERY understanding wife.:D

Don

Shop around and you will eventually find components.

FYI, I poked around and found at least on powder source (at this very moment).

Anyone really wanting to load a lot of 9mm, 38s & mid range 357 could do a lot worse than an 8 lb jug of Promo. You load this with Red Dot data. I use Promo for over 2000 loads in 38/357s a year and have a good load for it in the 9mm.

And do not be afraid of the 8 lb jug. If you are buying powder on-line, you need some quantity to get your money's worth from the shipping / hazmat. And with this powder, you are almost certain to find loads that that you will be happy to use for years.

The money you save by buying one 8lb order of Promo (vs multiple purchases of smaller quantities) will set you up to stock up on primers when you can find them.

$132 for 8 lbs from Powder Valley.

If you feel that 8 lbs is just too much, they also have Alliant Sport Pistol and IMR Blue in 1 lb containers.

Last edited:
I most definitely got into this at the wrong time!
I’m really struggling to find primers and powder. I’ve had a bunch of “notify when in stock” alerts set for both items, in time I guess.
Meanwhile I scored some of these things, don’t know what they do or how to use them but I got em!

66c4d33eccd8f3709c4e5996c16d73d8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In reloading there is no missing the boat. While there are scarcities in components, the sooner you do start, the sooner you will be assembling your own ammo. The worst time to start is .....later.
Spend time researching, making lists of known good combos, and be patient, but ready to buy when the components show up. Whatever you do, do not waste time spinning your wheels online buying small amounts, and again, wait for the right stuff you see in the books.

Meanwhile I scored some of these things, don’t know what they do or how to use them but I got em!

skybolt,

Why are you buying things you may not even have a use for? Crazy!

Don

Skybolt. My suggestion is is to slow down and tell us what you have or ask us what you need instead of buying of everything. Constantly phone sport and gun shops asking if they received primers. That's probably the hardest component to find. I lucked out walking into a store and they had box of large pistol primers on the shelf. I need more small pistol primers and Bullseye powder and lucked out phoning clubs and asking what powders they had that the relooaders wanted to trade for or sell. And so, I find more small pistol primers and powder trading. Now's the time to learn. Search for answers and ask questions. I haven't looked but I think you can still find lead bullets available. Phone or email them.

skybolt,

Don

skybolt,

Don

That was a stab at humor!
Aside from 9mm dies, ammo boxes, case lube, a tumbler and some bullets that’s all I’ve bought. I have all the “necessary” equipment to load. As with any hobby there’s an over abundance of trinkets one could go crazy on.

Skybolt. My suggestion is is to slow down and tell us what you have or ask us what you need instead of buying of everything. Constantly phone sport and gun shops asking if they received primers. That's probably the hardest component to find. I lucked out walking into a store and they had box of large pistol primers on the shelf. I need more small pistol primers and Bullseye powder and lucked out phoning clubs and asking what powders they had that the relooaders wanted to trade for or sell. And so, I find more small pistol primers and powder trading. Now's the time to learn. Search for answers and ask questions. I haven't looked but I think you can still find lead bullets available. Phone or email them.

All that remains is powder, primers and knowledge. I was fortunate to have acquired most everything else years ago, I’ve actually been selling some things off that are either redundant or of no use to me.

I guess one question I have is this-hand primer or the primer arm on a single stage. Which method of priming is preferable amongst you all? It seems a hand primer may be more efficient but is yet another tool to buy, not that I’m opposed to that!
This also raises something else need to look into. My press has the primer arm but I don’t know what size it is
Thank again, Troy

skybolt,

I teach the NRA's Metallic Cartridge Reloading Course. In it, I have my students use a hand primer for the following reason: you can feel the primer being seated, which allows you to better seat them without under seating or over seating them.

Don

Skybolt,

Those usually have a primer retaining sleeve around them. Just check the inside diameter. A little over 0.175" for small primers and a little over 0.210" for large primers.

I've been using RCBS's Auto Prime System" (APS) for at least 15 years now. It speeds things up considerably and I can "feel" the primers being seated. It definitely beats the single-stage, one-at-a-time primer arm that requires you to finger each primer.

Skybolt,

Those usually have a primer retaining sleeve around them. Just check the inside diameter. A little over 0.175" for small primers and a little over 0.210" for large primers.

Thanks Unc, excellent info. I’ll looking it that ASAP.

Thanks for the advice guys, sounds like a hand loader may be warranted should I be able to load any volume.

Depends on how you look at things, half full, or half empty. Personally I believe that you are on time but not for reloading. I recommend you buy a few reloading manuals like the ABC's of Reloading, the Lyman Manuals, Sierra, Noslers, Barnes and so on. You will soon discover that within bullet manufacturers and powder manufactures data can be conflicting. So to ease in the confusion if I am am using a bullet made my Hornady I use the Hornady manual and their data and powder recommendations. If I am using Sierra bullets I use the Sierra reloading data and so forth. Also while you wait to acquire required components RCBS have great tutorial videos you can watch as well. Good luck and know you are going down a rabbit hole you may never dig yourself out of.

Back