Has the XD fallen out of favor?

There's a subset of folks that seem to get bent totally out of shape by the affront of the existence of the Springfield XD.

And another subset that seem to get all bent out of shape because there is a subset that doesn’t like their beloved XD.

Is that why you never see a Glock carried by a police officer?

You really need to look around more!
http://www.shootingrangeindustries.c...45-colt-m1911/

A Glock and most other striker fired guns, at rest, does not have the striker under full tension. In theory it cannot go off due to mechanical failure because there is not enough tension on the striker to ignite a primer. A XD, and some others, have the striker fully tensioned when at rest. In theory a mechanical failure that allows the striker to go forward could cause an accidental discharge.

Is it a meaningful distinction? Probably not. Is it a distinction that matters to selection committees? I'm sure Glock (and most other striker manufacturers) makes the difference abundantly clear when given the chance to a committee

Last edited:
The main driving reason the XD seems to fall out of favor is the simple fact the market has been flooded with similar firearms.

I think that says it all.
The Cool Guys are way past Glock, S&W, and XD. Also beyond HK and Walther.
The Beretta APX is the Latest and Greatest.

Springfield can’t design nor produce a pistol that is not 1911 pattern

They didn't design that one, either, did they?

No they didn’t design the 1911, but was giving them very little credit for designing some variation or another of the original 1911. Adding a rail or some such other nonsense...

I had an XD long ago don't recall how long after they started selling them. I kept mine a short period of time. I didn't care for the gun very much. I didn't like the trigger, the gun sounded like a rusty pogo stick and it was too top heavy. Lots of people liked them, just wasn't for me.

Last edited:
A Glock and most other striker fired guns, at rest, does not have the striker under full tension. In theory it cannot go off due to mechanical failure because there is not enough tension on the striker to ignite a primer. A XD, and some others, have the striker fully tensioned when at rest. In theory a mechanical failure that allows the striker to go forward could cause an accidental discharge.
But the XD has a safety
The biggest difference is Springfield doesn't nearly give them away to police departments like Glock does.

I like my XD9 Sub Compact , it just feel right in my hands, I like the weight & size , it handles good, it also looks really cool with the squared, blocky appearance, kind of a hybrid of a Glock, it just feels like it's built heavier duty than other polymer 9mm's

with the 3' inch short barrel it's like a "snub nose" sub compact

with only a limited number of semi auto pistols available in California, I cant afford to be too picky, the XD's are solid, reliable firearms, but they may be obsolete in other states that have all the newest models, the XD is old news to some people.

XD's have a pretty long track record over 20 years service

I've been carrying a XD-s 9mm since they came out and that won't change anytime soon. It does every thing I want and need and its gone bang every time, this one I trust.

But the XD has a safety

Because the design is inherently unsafe and needs one :) (No not really).

I don't think the XD or any number of polymer striker fired guns are falling out of favor including the Glock. Its just the pie is only so big and more and more manufacturers are entering the market. Since the pie isn't getting bigger these manufacturers are left with smaller slices as they are divided by more and more manufacturers.

Here's another point. What has changed about the XD lately? Other manufacturers come out with new generations, new models, etc, seemingly at a rate faster than Springfield Armory. Besides adding a "Grip Zone" I don't feel like Springfield Armory has done much lately.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

True. Even "Glock Perfection" changes every couple years. Might be adding finger grooves, might be taking them away. But there is this generation and the last generation and if you don't have the current generation you are not one of the cool kids :) though exceptions can be made if you have like 3 generations ago because then your retro. Still if you have last years model its like wearing white after labor day or something.

I think people never give Glock credit for how good of a marketer Gaston was and is. That and some other sketchy scenarios but Glock is VERY good at marketing.

I was at the range with a buddy and he has a new single stack XD 45 acp. It is suppose to be his new carry gun but he never carries it or any other gun (sigh). I have shot this XD a few times and I can't maintain a good grip on it. I wrap my paws around it and it turns in my hand after every shot. No other gun does this to me. So I will stick with Glock, M&P, 1911 for my carry guns and be happy.

Last edited:
I don't feel like Springfield Armory has done much lately.
Because as far as the gun itself goes, they don't need to. Of course marketing to an internet, and media obsessed market without proclaiming "great new advancements" might be a problem.

A company that doesn't understand the importance of marketing is frankly a poorly run company. Lots of great products have died from lack of good marketing.

While we're on it, I don't agree that all changes have been just marketing. To me the changes to Glocks, M&Ps, P320s, etc. have been ones that I appreciated as a user. I've owned an XD and an XDm. Neither was so great that I thought no changes could be made at all. Do product evolutions help generate revenue? Of course, though they can also benefit the consumer. A company that passes up chances to generate more revenue is a bit misguided imo.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
bought one (XD 45) bought 15 years ago, super reliable, great trigger. There is no doubt in my mind that SA's marketing and advertising pushed the price up on these Croatian pistols. There was little interest in the HS 2000 as it was formally known , and I believe the price was much lower. The name "Springfield Armory " makes a big impression on people, even though it is merely a name and nothing more. There is nothing left of the original company.

Last edited:
I have never owned an XD but have shot my son's XD45 a few times. It seemed to be a decent pistol but nothing to make me want to own one. I don't think the XD like was ever "in favor" all that much and certainly no where near Glock. It seems the grip safety turned a lot of people off to it, way more than those that may have wanted it. Glock had already developed a very favorable reputation that Springfield XD seemed to never come close to achieving.

Back