Has anyone else ever seen these? Webley–Fosbery Automatic Revolver

IIRC British officers bought their own sidearms

So there was probably a market for that eras hipsters to have something peculiar

And if you are a desk jockey or something and not in active combat fragility and complicated means little

Nah, consider the mid to late 1890's.

All semiautomatics were peculiar. All semiautomatics were fragile and complicated.

The Webley Fosberry came out two years after the Borchardt, and predates the Mauser Broomhandle by a year. Trench combat was almost 20 years out.

Considering the target grade accuracy, the Webley Fosberry wasn't a terrible choice at the time.

Sort of makes you wonder why automatic pistol design evolution included the retrograde step of DA?

Adding a DA first-shot mode to an otherwise SA automatic pistol was a purpose-designed safety feature as a hedge against the negligent operator. ;)

The Webley Fosberry came out two years after the Borchardt, and predates the Mauser Broomhandle by a year. Trench combat was almost 20 years out. Considering the target grade accuracy, the Webley Fosberry wasn't a terrible choice at the time.

What cartridge was the W-F chambered for? .455?

Certainly most were .455. I think the .38 High Velocity (.38 Colt Auto) is a real rarity. But look what you got, 8 shots and moon clip loading.

Adding a DA first-shot mode to an otherwise SA automatic pistol was a purpose-designed safety feature as a hedge against the negligent operator

I highly doubt that. Although it does work in that regard, I doubt that was the primary intent. Allowing hammer down loaded chamber carry with instant fire capability was the advertised reason, along with second strike capability, if the round didn't fire (something that was a much more important thing back then, than it is today).

The first DA semi autos were German pocket pistols (Walther, Mauser HSc, etc.) The first military DA service pistol was the Walther P.38. (as far as I know). The DA feature wasn't a hedge against negligent operators, it was thought to be a "better mousetrap" design. Some people think it is, others, disagree...

Also appears in The Maltese Falcon (and the cutaway shot is of a Fosbery, but it's a .455 one not a .38 as Bogie says)

I knew a guy that had a WF in 455. Back in early 70s. History of gun? Guy was
50+ at the time and said it had been in family for along time and he could never
recall it being fired. I could have got it on a trade but really didn't want it and
I was only 22 and didn't realize what it was worth, even then. Webleys werent
going for much back then, or desirable as they are now.

They're up for sale all the time. $12-19k. I believe Rock Island Auction has one up for sale this wknd, 6/2. Not a failure, just dint fit the niche after the 1911went into widespread ptoduction!

Webley Made Junk?

I hardly think these revolvers were junk. Even in the day of tons of surplus firearms these revolvers were scarce. I do not recall any complaints at the time. Actually, the WF's had modern looking speed loaders. The art of making automatic handguns was in the infancy when the Webley Fosbery was in active production. Top break revolvers work great if one knows how to operate them. Look at our wonderful Smith and Colt double action revolvers of that time. :eek:

Addendum: Do I recall correctly that the hammer was knurled on the sides and used to operate the action?

Back