Hard Choice

I personally H.A.T.E recoil... probably comes from having to hunt with 12ga slugs for so many years... so I might be overly sensitive... but I feel a significant difference in recoil between .308 and 7mm-08. It really should only be about 20%, all else being equal... but it feels like a lot to me.

All of the listed cartridges will work just fine for your stated hunting situation. I'd personally lean towards either the .270 or the .30-06 though depending on what other hunts you may be going on in the future. If low recoil and a flat trajectory are your priority, go with the .30-06. If you foresee yourself hunting bigger animals like moose, then go with the .30-06.
http://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/270-vs-30-06/

All of the listed cartridges will work just fine for your stated hunting situation. I'd personally lean towards either the .270 or the .30-06 though depending on what other hunts you may be going on in the future. If low recoil and a flat trajectory are your priority, go with the .30-06. If you foresee yourself hunting bigger animals like moose, then go with the .30-06.
http://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/270-vs-30-06/
Of the listed options, 30-06 hardly seems high on the list for flat trajectory. I would put it in 6th place at best. And the same for light recoil! Compared to the rest of the list, I would recommend at least 6 others for lighter recoil before the -06. Nothing against it, it's one of the greatest of all time, but not for those two criteria... not even close.

Tallest said:
30-06 hardly seems high on the list for flat trajectory. I would put it in 6th place at best. And the same for light recoil! Compared to the rest of the list, I would recommend at least 6 others for lighter recoil before the -06. Nothing against it, it's one of the greatest of all time, but not for those two criteria... not even close.

No kidding... of the cartridges on that list, .30-06 has nearly the highest recoil and worst trajectory. Only the .338 will kick harder and only the .30-30 has appreciably worse trajectory... even though trajectory is all but irrelevant at 250 yards and less.

You know, I don’t recall ever hearing about the 7mm-08 until about 15 years ago. What is another round that is comparable to the 7mm-08?
To reply and is MY choice but not if shooting factory ammo or depending on a store to supply such..........would be the 7x57mm Mauser.

A hand loaders dream in the longer action than the 7mm08 and literally has been doing it all since 1892.

Purely one for the handloader and not one found in lots of rifles........but still my choice and the following this round has in multiple forums and the number of articles that can be found on it........speaks volumes.

God Bless
Steve

If you had to choose one round as the only round to hunt the lower 48 states with and whitetail deer, which would you choose and why? One dynamic of the question is elevation and possible distance shot. Let’s say 10’ stand and no further tha 250 yards.

1) 243 Win
2) 25-06
3) 6.5 mm Creedmoor
4) 270 Win
5) 7mm Rem Mag
6) 280 Rem
7) 30-30 Win
8) 308 Win
9) 30-06
10) 338 Win Mag

Don’t forget about the “why” in the question.

Thanks guys and gals...

For *general* hunting, I'd go with a 308 in a light rifle. But since you specified a stand you don't need a light rifle. If you don't need a light rifle, you don't need a 308. Since it's deer and no more than 250 yards, I'd go with a 270. Wide choice of rifles, ammo is available everywhere, plenty of power for deer, reasonable recoil.

Last edited:
Back