Handguns you're naturally accurate with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimio

Anyone here find that they naturally are more accurate wth certain handguns? Its as if the gun just "fits" you for some strange reason.

I recently went out to the range and decided to give a pair of Springfield Arms M1911's a try.

Both guns were rentals, one with adjustable sights and the other with night sights (chambered in 9mm and 45 ACP respectively)

While not terribly far away, at 15ft I was burning a ragged hole through the center of the target with minimal effort. After 50 rounds through both hand guns I decided to try shooting my own handgun.

I tried replicating that with my CZ75 compact, and I struggled a great deal (fired from SA mode)

Initially I thought this was because it was a double stack handgun, however I'm vastly more accurate with my cousins Glock 19 which is a double stack also.

The only thing I can think of that may cause this is thst I'm constantly am fighting to line up my irons on my CZ as opposed to the other handguns I've fired, sight picture and alignment occurred more naturally for me for some reason.

This is how it was on a Sig P226 as well, where I was naturally more accurate with it than my CZ75 which I have more many many more hours into trying to learn how to shoot well with, and failing miserably mind you.

I'm seriously considering making a switch for my carry handgun. While the capacity loss will be significant, I figured if I can accurately hit my target, it's better to lose those extra 7-8 rounds and miss more often than having only 7-8 rounds and landing all of them.

I am the exact opposite of you. I am less accurate with my 5" Colt 1911 and county issued Glock than I am with my CZ75 SP01, of course those are .45, .40, and 9mm respectively so that may have something to do with it.

FWIW I am more accurate with my CZ75 than I was with my Canik TP9SA which is also a 9mm.

My "natural" pointing gun is a S&W 610, 6 1/2" with Pachmeyer grips. Just feels right. The sights come into alignment naturally during the recovery from recoil during which time I cock the hammer with my left thumb. My favorite bowling pin gun. I also have a 6" model 19 that is almost as good but nothing yet beats the 610 in my hands.

My 2 most accurate are a Sig 226 All Around and (I hate to say) my Ruger LC9s.
The P229 is very close behind, and the Beretta 92 and S&W M&P 9 behind those.
Really surprised at the Ruger which is small, inexpensive and short, but dead on.

I am generally most accurate with wheel guns, especially my Ruger GP100 and my oldest S&W model 10. I love my 1911s, but there are days that I cannot hit the broad side of a barn from the inside with my favorite, an old Colt Commander, the one that has been the most inherently accurate of my 1911s.

I have shot that old model 10 so much it almost sights itself with my wadcutter reloads.

David

The only thing I can think of that may cause this is thst I'm constantly am fighting to line up my irons on my CZ as opposed to the other handguns I've fired, sight picture and alignment occurred more naturally for me for some reason.

If this is the stock all steel CZ-75 Compact, then note that the stock sights that come with the gun are absolute garbage for fast acquisition. That, in itself, will hinder quick sighting. I'd rather have stock Glock plastic sights on it than those tiny little 3-dots. I pick up the larger night sights on my SP-01 much faster

Browning HP....just fits my hand....points to where my minds eye wants it to hit....my go to...in the dark....sights not needed...

1911 . . . with arched housing and long trigger, is a perfect fit.
Two guns that are usually referred to as natural pointers, "extension of your arm", etc., the Peacemaker and the Luger, feel extremely unnatural in my hands.

Full sized, all steel, 5" barrel ...1911's ...( in 9mm or .45 acp ).../ they have to be well made and well tuned..( I prefer Wilson Combat 1911's ).

I am just as accurate with both calibers...but my split times between shots is a little quicker with the 9mm...( split times on 9mm are about 0.35 sec ...and I get up around 0.40 sec with the .45 acp )...mostly because I have some arm, elbow and arthritis issues in my hands these days...in my late 60's.

But I'm fairly consistent at 1.9 to 2.0 sec out of holster to 1st shot.../ and my reloads from a slide lock to 1 shot are around 2.3 sec...
-------------
Any gun with a hinged trigger ( swings in an arc from a pin )...whether its a Sig Sauer or a S&W revolver...I'm accurate...but my split times on the long double action pull with the revolvers go up to about 0.45 sec.../ and even in a full sized Sig 226 in 9mm my split times in Single action are around 0.4 sec. But I'm smoother and a little more accurate with my 5" 1911's.

I'm not sure that the term "accuracy" can be properly applied to my shooting, but the pistols I own that I seem to be least inaccurate with are my Springfield Armory modified GI model 1911 A1 and my SIG Sauer full-sized P320 .45 ACP.

I have also shot a full-sized SIG P320 .40 S&W and did pretty well with it, again relatively speaking.

I moderately well with my Beretta 92FS in 9mm but I recently shot a SIG Sauer P229 9mm on several separate occasions and I think it outperformed my Beretta.

Despite having completely different grip angles (polar opposites, nearly), the USP and Pardini GT9 exemplify that for me. Meanwhile, 1911s just don't work great in my hands.

ALL OF 'EM !!! IT is all between your ears. YOU cannot believe the money I've taken from folks shooting against 'em with their own guns, NONE of which I'd ever shot before.
And so it goes...

I am naturally accurate with a 1911, I don't have to hold it a special way or grip hard or extend my arms in a certain fashion to shoot it accurately up to 75yds.

I once put a magazine through a gen3 glock 17 and shot it very well. Almost maybe as well as I shoot a 1911. Maybe better.

I also shot a few mags through a glock 42 .380, and was more accurate with it than any other pistol I have ever shot.

Some guns are ergonomically just natural pointers for some people. Other guns.. not so much.

I can shoot most handguns well enough but there are some that fit my small hands just SO much better. The first time I picked up a SIG239 and pointed it and then looked down the sights I said start the paperwork.. before I had put it down. The first time I shot it.. I was not at all disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back