Handguns with barrels not tilting up when being racked

Here are some more delayed blowback pistols that use a roller delay. To my knowledge, they are the only roller delayed blowback pistol models in the world. All are German. It’s a very intricate design and not cheap to produce. No tilting barrels here.

Korriphila HSP701, HK P9S, Geiger GRP, and Korth PRS

Brian,
the CZ52 used the roller lock behind the iron curtain. I had one of those with the normal 17 lb. trigger.

Brian,
the CZ52 used the roller lock behind the iron curtain. I had one of those with the normal 17 lb. trigger.

Andy, the CZ52 is a locked breech design. It’s quite different from those blowbacks. I know in Germany they call them a roller lock, but they are delayed blowbacks.

The CZ52 uses rollers to lock the breech momentarily.

I don’t own a CZ52 any longer, but the Delta Top Gun uses the CZ’s roller locked breech design. It is a lot different than the delayed blowbacks I posted above.

It’s also a gun with a non tilting barrel…

Last edited:
Jeff Cooper wrote that the P9 was made largely out of sheet metal stampings and plastic, "then they put the money they saved back into an elaborate barrel extension and roller bolt."

Yes Jim. The quality is in the internals. Outwardly, it’s a fairly cheaply made pistol. Inside it’s very robust and complex.

Walther p38.
Beretta 92.
Steyr Hahn.
Mauser c96.
Femaru m37.
Nambo type 14.
Lugar parabellum.

There are more. But they don't seem particularly more accurate.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Of note, the Beretta 92 was famous for the locking block breaking after thousands of rounds during its first years. Fairly, this was long ago rectified. They are accurate pistols. The head law enforcement firearms instructor for NC shot a Beretta 92 in competition for many years, and did quite well with it.

I still don't see many Berettas that are just inherently more accurate than a quality Glock, CZ, or good 1911.

Last edited:
Beretta 92 is based on Walther p38. I think the cam locked tilted barrel concept is optimal for modern high volume production. Whatever accuracy advantage of fixed barrel design is probably insignificant for typical pistol applications.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
One of the unsung champions would be those super rare single action Walther P88. Walther special tip barrel
That would be the P88 Champion and Competition. Both use the Browning tilting barrel design.

It seems that most handgun barrels will tilt up when being racked. I love those that do not tilt up, like CZ P-01 and Beretta 92, etc. They also seem to be more accurate.
Is my observation correct? What are other handguns with barrels not tilting up when being racked?
CZ M&P 82s and CZ 83s. They both have fixed barrels that don’t move or tilt a whit when the slide is “racked” manually.

Has anyone mentioned the Beretta PX4 and the Smith and Wesson M&P 5.7?

Both use a rotary action.

I also had a CZ 52 which used a roller delayed system. The barrel and the breech were locked together until the slide travelled back far enough that a detent allowed the rollers to separate.

I also had a CZ 52 which used a roller delayed system. The barrel and the breech were locked together until the slide travelled back far enough that a detent allowed the rollers to separate.

The CZ 52 is a locked breech pistol. It’s not just a delay.

Back