handguns that made history...

I don't know if it fits the rules or not, but the rifled muskets of the 18th North Carolina Infantry changed the course of a war, and perhaps of history, when they mistakenly killed General T.J. (Stonewall) Jackson, about five miles from here during the Battle of Chancelorsville.

I would have to say Wild Bill Hickock's 1851 Navy he used in Springfield Missouri in 1865 against Davis Tutt helped shape history. I personally feel this showdown is what (unofficially in my eyes) marked the beginning of the Old West. Their showdown was the basis of a lot of the iconic literature (of the day) and the images of the 'high noon showdown' that permeated into the Westerns of the 20th century were essentially based off of this and helped make Wild Bill a legend.

It didn't necessarily affect international history or alter the course of the USA or anything, but I feel it is a culturally significant piece.

Given the OP - did what Patton carry actually influence history? I think that's the question as compared to cool guns being carried and not really doing anything.

Yes what Patton carried was historical because It was the last offensive use of horse mounted Calvary by the U.S.Army. The next use was as small unit raids, curriers, and finally parades.

Historically the gun Major Patton supposedly used to kill Pancho Villa's driver down in Old Mexico might qualify. I think it was a Colt SAA .45 Colt, but that's guessing off memory, not Googling it.

Perhaps the handgun that most changed history was the first working hande gonne, to prove the concept. Everything else was evolution. :)

tumblr_mnxfkcI6d61s57vgxo3_1280.jpg

.22 (short?) that killed Bobby Kennedy. This was a very sad day for very many people.

I have really enjoyed reading this thread - very interesting! :)

Another one would be the pistol that Hitler used to commit suicide? Was this not a Walther? (Relying on memory so maybe not?).

I don't know how much it "changed history" but it sure put an end to an era of "hell". Sort of makes you think of what the scenario would have been if he had been captured instead of doing himself in . . . but I'm sure the end results would have been the same. When you ponder it, he and those who climbed on the band wagon with him affected the lives of just about everyone in the world . . . military and civilian alike.

On January 30, 1835, Richard Lawrence became the first man to attempt an assassination on a US President. He drew a single shot derringer and attempted to fire at Andrew Jackson. The pistol misfired, and he drew another single shot derringer which also misfired. Andrew Jackson, a then 67 year old man, charged the would-be assailant and beat him with his cane. After Richard Lawrence was taken into custody, his pistols were tested and found to be in good working order, so the odds of what happened are astronomical.

Pehaps my google-fu is weak, but I can't find any more specific info on the guns. There must be more out there though if they were taken and test fired.

Yes, using the above as a jumping off point, no one pistol so changed American history as the single shot derringer used to assassinate President Lincoln. From my limited study of the man, I believe the Reconstruction of the South would have gone a great deal differently if Lincoln had still been in charge. The healing of a nation might have happened far more smoothly and easily.
Unlike the example above, this pistol worked perfectly.

Ironically enough Andrew Jackson was also the only US president to kill a man in a duel. He killed Charles Dickinson in a duel with an English flintlock that misfired on the first trigger pull. However, Andrew Jackson ignored the traditional rules of the duel (one trigger pull), recocked the gun and fired again after being wounded himself.

Another one would be the pistol that Hitler used to commit suicide?

Absolutely! It's always a little tenuous talking about Hitler for someone from Austria, nevertheless it's a very interesting question in the light of this thread.

I reckon that there is no doubtless evidence about said gun (or is there?), yet very likely it was a PPK in 7,65 which was often used by higher ranked Wehrmacht officials who carried a gun more as a token of rank than as a real SD sidearm as well as by several Nazi agencies.

Ok I'll play, 1831 Springfield Civil War. Hard to get a decent picture of it, kinda long.

Attachments

• 1831 Springfield.jpg
    1831 Springfield.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 50
Malcolm X was killed by three people, two of whom had handguns, the third had a sawed off shotgun. Had he lived the Civil Rights movement may have gone in a much different direction, and maybe the role of Muslims in the United States.

Hi, Vt.birdhunter,

Nope. An American gun writer, for reasons unknown, described the Sarajevo gun as a 1900 Browning; that was not true. The actual gun was as I described; it was in a Vienna museum, along with the other three guns and the grenades carried by the attackers, but which were not used. The display vanished during the Russian occupation after WWII, but the Princip gun has since been recovered from, of all places, a monastery.

FWIW, I think only the Sarajevo gun and the I.J. revolver used to kill RFK really fit the OP's definition. The guns used in attempted assassinations don't count because they changed nothing. Other guns, like Patton's, might be interesting but altered nothing so far as history is concerned.

Jim

Last edited:
A Wogdon Duelling pistol played a huge role in American history on July 11, 1804 when one of a matched pair was used by Aaron Burr to mortally wound Alexander Hamilton in their famous duel.

I would offer up the guns used to assassinate the Russian Imperial family by the Bolsheviks. That certainly set a ball rolling that we are still trying to dodge/out-run to this day....

My cursory research shows that the guns used were Mauser C96s, Brownings and a Nagant amongst others.

Last edited:
The .38 spl that Terry Norman carried May 4th, 1970 @ Kent State.

The debate over it being fired will probably go on forever.

Back