handguns for stopping vehicles

Shooting out a car tire, the driver or an engine block(that are steel or Al, not iron.) with anything creates an uncontrolled, one ton +, missile.
Nothing you can hold and fire will stop any vehicle, tractors and big rigs, included. Even a LAWS. Physics doesn't allow it.
They OPTED to kill the driver of a van that was already STOPPED. Then they blew the van up remotely. That idiot police chief would know FA fire if it bit him either. Gun fire sound was the lunatic pulling the trigger fast.

That idiot police chief would know FA fire if it bit him either. Gun fire sound was the lunatic pulling the trigger fast.

He never claimed it was fully automatic fire. He did say "automatic" which was absolutely correct. Many of the guns being used were autoloaders and are automatic weapons. They are not fully automatic, but like my 1911 that that is an "Automatic Colt Pistol," they are automatics. You inferred fully automatic when that was not stated.

As for the sound, it was a combination of multiple guns being fired quickly, PLUS the sounds of impacts, PLUS the sounds of echoes of each throughout downtown Dallas.

The only problem is, if a person dies by a bullet, normally his muscles cramp often and his car hits you with full speed.
Double Naught Spy:
LOL, rigor mortis doesn't usually set in for hours. Otherwise, the muscles of dead people don't usually "cramp up" immediately at the time of death. Instead, they usually go slack.
The muscles of a dying Person cramp up in pain, do you really think , you can hit a person in a moving vehicle so perfekt, that he is dead now?

Take a trip to the dentist and you know the truth...

A shot person may be in pain, MAY POSSIBLY have localized flexor reaction to the inflicted area, but unless your dying driver just also happens to be shot in the gas pedal calf, your gas pedal scenario is unrealistic. Dying people do not have some sort of total body cramping due to pain such that would cause them to mash on the gas as you suggest. What you suggested below is contrary to medical science and to actual incidents where drivers have been shot. The person does not "normally" accelerate as a result and then hit you at full speed.

A .22 Long Rifle will penetrate car tires easily, even truck tires, fired out of a 6" barreled revolver. I did it many times.

Firing into an engine compartment to stop the car immediately will probably only happen if you hit a critical ignition component like the distributor or ignition module.

You MIGHT get lucky and put a round into the valve cover and take out some of those components, not a sure thing, and probably wouldn't stop one quickly.

Getting really lucky might result in a shot hitting a radiator hose or even punching a hole in one of the water channels in the engine block. Eventually the engine would overheat and seize. Same with hitting the radiator.

An exceptionally lucky shot might find its way into the timing mechanism and destroy the belt, gears, or chain. That would tend to stop the car pretty immediately, especially if it was complete disrupted and the engine is an interference engine.

It is a 30 yr. old small unregulated County free range. No one has ever been hurt there. I bet one of these 50's out of this would stop a car. wankers a British term..why?

Last edited:
stopping vehicles

Wasn't the .50 beaowul designed for stopping vehicles at checkpoints or something?
Many current blocks at least in cars are aluminum. Shouldnt be a stretch for many thumpers to knock a hole in them. Issue I'm thinking is getting through the radiator, condenser, fans, pullys etc and not being slowed down and flattened out too much to get through the block.
not going to happen with something like a .45 but any low expansion rifle round gun like an ar pistol might work? I doubt there is much short of a .50bmg that will stop a car right now. With in 50 or 100 feet maybe. It would require catastrophic internal failure. Even knocking a hole in the block and letting the oil out some cars could go miles. Make it through the intake many of which are platic now would stop it pretty quick.

This thread is pretty entertaining!

.40S&W has a good reputation for being able to reach through laminated glass and car doors, but don't expect the car to stop right there like in the movies.

Nothing you fire out of a handgun is going to cause any immediate damage to the engine block of anything modern on the road.

Tires? You might as well shoot the other sniper through his scope.

Wow.

Surprised this is still open :)

Which handgun stops vehicles?

The one on the officer's hip. Who pulls you over because you were in a hurry to find a bathroom.

What handgun stops a vehicle?

If im driving its whatever gun you point at me. Heck it probably wouldn't only stop it but send it but send it instantly in to reverse.

A while back I saw some pics of a possibly face .50bmg handgun. Breach loaded I believe. On a side note im wondering if such a thing could even be fired. It had a huge very effective looking brake on it but how much recoil can you take out of that round? Im guesing The Mountain from GOT could pull if off but what about us mortals of more diminutive stature?

The Cleveland, OH PD got into a firing frenzy into a car with two unarmed people a couple of years ago. After 138 rounds or so, they finally managed to kill the two occupants. Dont know what they were using...

Last edited:
Back