handguns for stopping vehicles

It may not stop a car,but.....

This gun may not stop a car instantly, but, it tends to slow them down when spotted by the driver........ a radar gun!

I remember years ago reading about some special rounds one of which was (I believe) a thv tungsten steel bullet in 357 mag. Article said it "whizzed" through the block of a 350 and was still lethal upon exit. I would think punching a hole through an engine especially if that crossed rods or pistons would do the trick. Honestly dont know how realistic their claim was.

just occurred to me, better to just shoot the ecu, battery or any main harness section (shot gun probably best bet) on a modern car. They run at the limit of the 12 volt system these days and a huge disruption in voltage will likely bring it to a stop.

Last edited:
Get real fellows, the chance a situation would present it's self where an individual would be faced with a car killing decision are astronomical. Second, if one did shoot at a vehicle I can just see all the ramifications of such an act. Unless your concealed carry is a RPG I would suggest concealed carry is for defensive protection and not assaults on the Nation's motor vehicles.

I have heard that the VA state police switched to the .357 SIG because the old .40 would not consistently penetrate a windshield. Thats what I was told by a VA State police officer anyway.

police switched to the ..... because the old ..... would not consistently penetrate a windshield.

This is a combination of urban legend and actual valid complaint, and NOT a new thing at all.

It is a matter of cartridge load, and impact material and angle. When the era of "auto bandits" arrived, many police turned to the .38 Super, because the .45 and .38 Special were simply not good enough penetrating car bodies. (I never heard of the 9mm Luger ever being considered ;))

When the .357 Magnum arrived, it became the king for that. The famous "crack an engine block" performance comes from that era.

Car bodies had actual steel in them in those days, and windshield glass was ordinary glass, and nearly always vertical or close to it.

I saw a write up once (in the 70-s) using 50s-60s cars for tests, and one of the things discovered was that the standard 200gr .38 Spl would not reliably penetrate a car windshield, when fired from a snub nose (Det Spl) but would get through, fired from the standard 6" service revolver.

Today, windshields are made of composite layers (safety glass), and are very often sloped at very good angles for ballistic protection. (think of the front slope of a tank's armor).

It is the combination of hard surface, and angle that defeats the bullet. Even rifle rounds "glance off" certain angles (and curves) when a 90 degree shot will punch through easily.

Elephant hunters learned in the heyday of the ivory trade that there is a certain velocity range/bullet weight needed to get through the elephant's skull. Rounds below that range wouldn't get in and do the job, and rounds above that range (higher velocity) would glance off, too often for comfort.

It also works that way for other things. right size & speed (for the material & angle) it gets through. Outside of that, either way, usually doesn't.

To penetrate a car, bust the engine, kill it, probably the best handgun rounds for that were made by KTW. Needle pointed tungsten carbide, Teflon coated.

These were the rounds that (after a decade or two in production) when discovered by the anti-gun zealots, created the "Teflon coated Cop Killer Bullet" scare. They were Teflon coated, all right, not for penetration (although I don't think that hurt any) but to protect the bore of the gun they were fired from. Made for, and only sold to the police market.

NEVER sold to the public. Never saw or heard any data about them ever being used to shoot any police, anywhere. Only in the minds of the antis, and in Hollywood movies financed by them.

I think our military has some experience with it and weapons like an RPG or a LAW would be the baseline to stop the vehicle not just kill the driver.

Originally posted by IBMIKEY
Get real fellows, the chance a situation would present it's self where an individual would be faced with a car killing decision are astronomical. Second, if one did shoot at a vehicle I can just see all the ramifications of such an act. Unless your concealed carry is a RPG I would suggest concealed carry is for defensive protection and not assaults on the Nation's motor vehicles.

I don't think anyone carries for every day occurrences. If it happens, it happens astronomical odds don't matter at that point. Because we don't carry RPG's it doesn't hurt to give some thought to what you would do if you ever had to. As long as you don't lose any sleep over it you're O.K.!

If I knew I would have to stop a car I would (as someone else stated) have a 30-06 with an AP round. Thats enough to break cylinders, heads, connecting rods, maybe even cranks. Better yet would be a 50BMG- Coast Guard uses that pretty effectively to stop boats.
As for a handgun your only good chance is the driver. As a civilian I cant see a scenario in which I would need to stop a car and I would be armed with a handgun. I would feel more comfortable jumping in my car and using the PITS. I have an attitude that: my stuff is insured, take it.

DA/SA without being loquacious as in the first post my point is personal defense is paramount with me so instead of taking on a vehicle with my carry pistol (usually .380) i would use it to withdraw to a safer position.

any bullet can go through a windshield and kill an occupant....disabling the actual vehicle is a little bit more difficult.....it would take an armor piercing round through the engine block to stop engine within minutes......other than that you need to disable the igntion system.....good luck with that.....any other disabling shot requires engine to overheat or run out of oil and overheat which may take miles...so....shoot the driver! because if you decide to shoot the tire instead of engine....you can still make it quite a ways on o rim!

Ibmikey. What about the scenario I laid out before? Someone pulls up to the sidewalk, pulls your granddaughter in the car, and takes off. There you stand with a .380 in your pocket. What do you do? Granted your chances of stopping a car are slim but I think it would be better to try than not. The question is what is the best way to try?

Ibmikey. What about the scenario I laid out before? Someone pulls up to the sidewalk, pulls your granddaughter in the car, and takes off. There you stand with a .380 in your pocket. What do you do? Granted your chances of stopping a car are slim but I think it would be better to try than not. The question is what is the best way to try?

That is probably the worst scenario to fire at the car.

First, in order to hit the engine you would need to MISS the granddaughter. The sheet metal of the car body is likely to allow the bullet to penetrate, but the chance of scoring a engine disabling hit are remote at best.

I don't know. If you empty a magazine into the radiator how far will the car get? Maybe a shot worth taking in the extreme situation? Likewise if you don't get a shot from the front might it be worth trying to shoot out a tire? If a gun even has a slight chance of making the situation more recoverable is it better to take the shot or reach for your cell phone instead? Me, I think I'd do both.

Just trying to change the premise of the OP a little from "does it work like in the movies?" to "what's the best way to try?"

If you empty a magazine into the radiator how far will the car get?

Might make it 10 miles. Might not. Depends on how hard the driver is pushing it, and the outside air temp. Absolutely can make it out of your sight, with just radiator hits. Now, if you hit the timing chain/belt, that's a different matter. ;)

If it quits when the bad guy gets to the highway you have a better chance of the LEO getting him. If someone abducts a child he won't drive around the block to his house. It's a good bet he's using a highway to get away. Out of sight, most likely but worth trying I think.

Back