Handgun Hunting... What do you use?

I've had very good luck with my 357MAG revolver by Taurus. But I hunt close and wait for a good shot. This cow elk was shot at approx 50 feet.

Jack

357MAGelk-1.jpg

I have two that I like.Smith .44 mag Classic with 6 1/2" barrel and 2x Leupold.Other is Contender in .357 max--easier to shoot--just need to stay away from the shoulder.

the 357 magnum is capable. I have killed a few deer at close range with the 357 magnum revolver.

I have actually killed lots of deer with the 357 magnum, but in a carbine.

That said if I had a choice early on I would of gone with a 41 or 44 magnum. While I feel the 357 mag is capable I still fill there are better options.

For a couple of years I used a SBH Hunter in 44 mag. Last year I used a SBH Hunter in 41 mag. Over the summer I have aquired yet another SBH Hunter in 45 Colt. This year I'll use it. I have a Bushnell 2x7 scope that I can move between the 3 revolvers leaving the rings on the scope. Ruger has a great system there. After I move the scope I can rezero with 1 shot. I like a heavy boolit moving about 800 - 900 fps. Limit shots to about 50 yrds.

I have an old three screw Super Blackhawk (bought new in 1970) that hunted well until my eyes got old. I put a scope on the Python and use it now. Just understand the range limitations.

P3240306ISO400F1118-7.jpg

attachment.php

attachment.php

I mostly use my Taurus M-44 in .44mag (NOT the Raging Bull) with a 6.5 barrell, topped with an Aimpoint Red Dot. In the last 5 years, I've killed 4 deer with it between 10 and 60 yards.

The load I use is a relatively light load of 240gr jacketed soft point, pushed by 10.9 grains of Unique. It's a very comfortable load, easy on the hands, and had no trouble putting a 200 pound buck down at 55 yards, breaking his shoulder with a single shot that ALMOST exited the opposite side. I've also killed one deer, a small doe, at 75 with my Ruger SRH, also in .44 mag, also using the load described above.

During shotgun season (all that's legal in northwestern NY), I've switched to either using my muzzleloader, or the handgun, but I much prefer the handgun. I don't feel it's limited me at all. It's all in the practice.

I'll post some photos later when I get home.

Last edited:
S&W 629 4 in. barrel..44 mag....This is my constant companion..whether I have a long gun or not....
Also..45 auto..Randall combat model....44 mag Ruger Bisley 4 5/8 barrel....
S&W 357 model 681..4 in barrel....

Well, you didn't specify species in the original post. I use a Ruger MK II, 50th anniversary for squirrel, rabbit, grouse, etc. I had a ruger single six that I used for a long time as well. For larger game, I have yet to connect, but I bought a contender in .357 in hopes of maybe calling in some coyotes and maybe an unlucky kitty this year.

Back