Handgun Hunting... What do you use?

Single-six 22Mag 9.5''
T/C 7-08 16''
Ruger Super Red Hawk 454 7,5

357 is a good round,just like to hit them a little harder.:D

A .357 with good heavy 180gr SWC or HP's is fine for whitetails. You'll have no problems going thru a deer with em. But I caution you. I carried a handgun in the field for many a day, not any more. They're too loud (I HATE using hearing protection in the field) and my hunting time is so limited anymore I prefer to have something better for the job at hand. If you're just bored as heck hunting with a long gun and seeking a challenge than by all means try a handgun. Been there, done that, not for me.

If I'm going to hunt with a handgun then I use a handgun, something I'd carry anyway. I've taken WT Deer with 1911 .45 and SAA .45. If you're using a 1911 you need to be close.

My nephew borrowed my S&W 629 last season,,,

He popped a small 6-pointer at about 45 yards from a stand.

If I recall correctly he used Winchester 240 grain soft point ammo,,,
At least that's what was with the gun when he borrowed it.

I got a nice pack of venison from the 6-pointer,,,
I consider it good trade for the loan.

This year he wants to borrow my 6" S&W 686.

Aarond

I agree bigger is better when deer hunting with a handgun,I also believe a 357 is very capable of taking nice deer just pick your shot.I have used a ruger 357 blackhawk for years ,shots were always 50 yrds. or less and I never had a problem.:)

Depends on the weather

Precipitating - Ruger SS SBH 44Mag or Ruger SS Bisley 45LC
Sunny - Ruger Bisley 41Mag or Ruger Bisley 44Spl

41 and 44 are topped with RemingtonSP and the 45 with 275 Hard Cast.

Currently: Ruger Blackhawk 5.5" .45 Colt. 260 gr WFN hardcast over 20.1 gr. Hodgdon Lil' Gun.

Have used .357 and .454 Casull in the past out id a GP100, Blackhawk, and Super Redhawk

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

depends on the area

Around this part of the country, the average shot taken on white tail deer, is 30 yards. I can get much closer. I have not taken a deer with this gun because I was not comfortable with the shots I have had.:o I am comfortable at 30 yards if the deer is turned just right. I use 158 grain Hornady XTP JHP's.
I like the .357 round and I love that gun. 65-4 4":)
Have a good one,
gordon
bigbutt.jpg

Mostly I use a .44 mag Redhawk topped wth a 2X Leupold.
Been thinking about using a .44 Super Blackhawk with open sights.
Have been known to hunt with a scoped Encore in .243 or .308.

If I can get out this year, I will be using my Glock 20 10mm with an extended barrel (5.15") to make it legal here in Ohio. 180 grain JHP and a personal limit of 30 yard shot or less. I am a meat hunter and looking for a nice 125lb ish doe for the freezer.

In the rare times I put my .58 muzzle loader aside, I use a T/C Encore in .454 for brush hunting, or the same frame with a .308 Win. barrel for shooting across the fields. Either one works just fine.

I used a 44mag red hawk open sites kept shots 100yrds and under worked well.Then got a good deal on a 270win SS 15'' barrel for my ENCORE toped it with bushnell 3200 2/7 power now my range is out to 400 yards have bagged deer from 30 - 220 yards with it. Using 130gr hand loads
you need a good rest to shoot long range.If you use a hand gun to hunt with only take a hand gun in the field with you.

Started out with a 6" Colt Python and later decided I preferred to increase the margin of error with caliber effectiveness with a 41 mag revolver. I still use that 8 4/8" M57 (41 mag) for deer hunting if I want to use irons. I have a SRH in 480 with 2x Leupold as my dominant deer handgun now.

Back