Handgun Hunting... What do you use?

Dustin746

I was thinking about starting to hunt whitetail with a handgun and I was wondering what y'all hunt with. I don't have a hunting handgun yet but I'm thinking something in .357

Get a 41mag or 44mag .They be a good bit better than a 357 and they will be controlable. Larger cartridges are harder to control.
Then PRACTICE !! Metallic silhouette matches are the best way.

A Ruger Super Red Hawk in .44 Mag. They are built like a tank, and the heavy weight of the Ruger SRH helps to tame recoil.

If you don't reload, .44 Mag (easier to find ammo). If you do reload, then .45 Colt and .41 Mag are also good options. The .454 Casull can also shot .45 Colt.

I used to borrow a friend's .44 mag S&W. Had a six inch barrel and was super accurate. But the urge to handgun hunt left me before I bought my own and now I just rifle hunt.

When I get the itch to handgun hunt deer I use a Ruger Super Redhawk in .44mag with a 9.5" barrel.

Recoil is fairly light because of the mass of the gun and it hits hard. I think its very controllable and its easy to shoot.

I use a 375 JDJ or a 45 long colt.

I would definately reccomend a 44 mag or 45 LC for out to 75 yards. Something in a T/C Contender for longer range.

357 will get the job done, but it's the minimum caliber in our state. I use .44 magnums (629 Perf S&W, Desert Eagle). Easy to find off the shelf ammo anywhere in the country. For the smaller southern subspecies of deer the 357 will work fine, for the big northern brutes you may want to opt for the bigger calibers.

As has been said, the 357 will get the job done but....

....especially just starting out handgun hunting, I would also opt for the 41 mag on up.

The least legal cal. handgun cartridge to deer hunt with in Ohio is .357.

Years ago, it's what I started out with. Thinking the .357 would be the easiest to learn to hunt with in all areas, especially recoil. Found out since handgun hunting deer is much like bow hunting deer, I needed all the help I could get and soon went to the 44. , After a few years went to the 41,45lc and back to the .357.

The last ten yrs.or so, I've settled back on the 41mag as being my fav. as reloading is as much fun hunting. I can tailor my loads to what I'm doing.

Quote. Discern.

manta49,

Sorry, to hear that. Can you even have a compound bow.

I'm afraid not. :(

Prohibition of certain methods of killing or taking wild animals.
11.-(1) Subject to the provisions of this Part, if any person-
(b) uses for the purpose of killing or taking any wild animal
any self-locking snare, whether or not of such a nature or
so placed as aforesaid animal, any bow or cross-bow or any
explosive other than ammunition for a firearm;

he shall be guilty of an offence.

I use .357 mags, .44 mags and a .460 S&W mag. They all have their place and I have taken deer with all calibers. All will do their part if you do yours.

Many carry a handgun as a backup to a long gun. It is not really handgun hunting till you leave the long gun at home.

Encore Pro Hunter in 7mm-08, Burris 2-7x

attachment.php

I prefer my dan Wesson 357 with the 8 inch barrel. Generally use speer 146 gr JHP.

I had a friend who hunted White Tail in AR using his 1911. He all ways filled his tags. Generally, one shot.

Mine is a Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter in .45 Colt, with a Leupold 4x scope.

Bear season opened here on the 1st of the month, and I'll be out looking for one this next weekend.

HPIM1153.jpg

Old school, blame it on my cowboy up bringing, I like my 6 shooters and I like my iron sights. The first gun on the far left is my Dan Wesson, (.357 Mag), and was my deer gun for 26 years. The gun on the far right used to be my woods walking gun but those days are gone, now it is my deer stand gun, Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 magnum. The gun in the middle is my S&W M58 41 magnum and it is my carry gun if I am going walking in the woods. It replaced my 44 because it was half the weight easier to holster carry and nearly as powerful. All 3 guns proven performers out to 100 yards when I pay attention to the basics and shoot like I know what I am doing.

scaled.php

I killed this 130" whitetail a few years ago with my 44 magnum Encore with Bullberry 10" barrel and Leupold 2x scope.

9-point.jpg

This year I'm gonna carry my S&W 629 44 mag with 6" barrel and Millet red dot sight.

95270GD6in629.jpg

Bisley Blackhawk .41Mag, with 17.5gr of 2400 pushing 215gr LSWCs to 1350fps. Might tone it down a bit, tho, & try some 9.5 or 10gr Unique loads under the same bullet.

Back