Handgun for the very recoil sensitive girlfriend

One thing that can amplify what she thinks is excessive recoil is the loud report of the firing. Make sure she uses both plugs and muffs; that will lessen the impact of the gun report and might help ease her fear a little.

See if you can find a CZ-83.

The CZ-83 is the "civilian" .380 ACP version of the CZ-82 that saw widespread use in eastern European police and military applications. The CZ-82 has been available as surplus in the U.S. for some time. It fires the 9mm Makarov (9x18) round, with is ballisticly (sp?) inferior to the 9mm Luger, and not widely available (although not impossible to find).

A couple of years ago I ran into a young woman I knew through a high school classmate. The gal is a Desert Storm veteran, with some neurological issues due to gas exposure. She had a Bersa .380, and she said it hurt her hands to shoot it. I happened to have my CZ-82 so I had her try that -- it's a heavier pistol with a somewhat fatter grip, so it soaks up recoil better. She liked it.

I'm suggesting the CZ-83 to you for your GF simply because of the .380 ammo. Physically, it's exactly the same gun as the CZ-82, and if you don't mind scrounging for ammo the 82 would probably do very well for her, as well.

Lastly, as much as I despise Glock -- maybe a Glock 42.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2vuOlhkMCw

I have worked with inexperienced shooters who dislike recoil a lot. I go in this order:

1) 22 revolver - Single Six is by far my preference
2) 22 auto - Browning Buck Mark or Ruger Mark - they are both great
3) 32 revolver (Single Six is my fav but there are plenty of others)
4) 32 auto - the Colt 1903 - or another large/heavy enough to not be snappy
5) 380 - Colt Govt model - heavy steel, locked breech, minimal recoil

A 32 magnum revolver that can shoot 32 H&R magnum is easy to shoot and effective for SD.

A 380 is also reasonable for SD. The Colt is really just a copy of a Spanish pistol, IIRC. It is noticeably bigger and heavier than the Mustang. My recoil-shy daughter had no problems shooting it when she was 10.

After these come things like the (sweet) CZ83, big heavy 38's and big heavy 9mm's.

Over several decades I have taught dozens of people to shoot. This is the progression that works for me.

Here is the Colt. If you prefer low-recoil autos for SD, this is as good as it gets:

Colt20380_zpsi17ywq4d.jpg

If money isn't a huge factor maybe a FN five-seven, if it is maybe a Tokarev 7.62x25, this is in my opinion a pretty good deal.

Money is definitely a factor, probably no more than 4-maybe 500.

And if there is ever a five seven in the picture, you better believe that sucker is mine!

I would definitely go with a Ruger 22/45 or Mark III. I looked at the most expensive LGS near me today and they had several in the $370 range.

If money isn't a huge factor maybe a FN five-seven, if it is maybe a Tokarev 7.62x25, this is in my opinion a pretty good deal.

Hugely BAD idea for the lady, as described. While the actual recoil isn't too bad (for an experienced pistol shooter, which the lady is NOT), but the concussive effect of the muzzle blast from these rounds is huge, compared to anything she has experienced, and virtually guaranteed to turn off the uncommitted shooter, real quick.

A fellow I know bought a Ruger BearCat Stainless model .22 for his wife to shoot!
And she loved it.this a woman that didn't even like guns.......Whats not to love.
It a single action, .22 caliber cowboy gun...small grip, no recoil at all!:cool:

I recently went through this exercise for a female friend of ours (my wife spurned "girly guns" early on and shoots .38 out of a 5" barrel Model 60). The friend had taken a couple of beginners classes (all female) and was interested in a pistol of her own - .22 being her primary interest.

I asked on a couple of discusison boards but included not only the recoil factor but also the ease of disassembly and cleaning. The ultimate winner was the S&W Victory. We all went to a range that rents guns, and she bought a Victory that same night after trying one.

My point in this is that she should be able to both shoot the pistol and clean it without major tool work (reason that the Ruger Mark III didn't make the grade).

be able to both shoot the pistol and clean it without major tool work (reason that the Ruger Mark III didn't make the grade).

I'll say it again, the Ruger "mark" series of pistols can be kept running, clean, lubed and fully functional for DECADES (at least) without ever needing to be taken apart!!!!

Yes, they are a pain in the butt to take apart and put back together. SO WHAT?? Don't take them apart!

While a number of people act otherwise, the military obsession with taking guns apart and putting them back together for cleaning, at every possible opportunity simply is not necessary for civilian sporting arms, and should NOT be done to some of them, as they were never designed for that.

Removing a good gun (like the Ruger) from your possibles list simply because its a pain to strip is, in my opinion, needlessly narrowing your options.

A Gen4 Glock 19 with standard pressure 124gr ammo is VERY low recoiling, I mean I know some people are recoil sensitive but people have to accept just a little bit of recoil, and what I mentioned above recoils very little.

If she's comfortable with a .22 by all means go for that. I like .380 for the smallest round I'm personally comfortable with but that's just my own opinion. I think bersa makes a fairly heavy .380 that would be a dream to shoot. And browning has their 1911 .380. If you don't mind the money a model 1908 Colt hammerless has no recoil that I can find when I shoot it. My girlfriend would probably make the same recommendations, that being said she thinks people who can't do a full day at the range with an LCP are wimps...

The more she can actually try out in advance, the better. Women's tastes in arms are individual, just like men.

My very petite wife favored my 6" Ruger Single Six in .22, but not favors my 6" GP100 with mild handloaded .38s with about the same recoil. She doesn't care for my 38 snubby 9double action only) at all, even with light loads. She absolutely hates my 439 in 9mm. She likes my little Raven .25, but can't hit anything with it. I also have a 7 1/2 .44 and .454 that she has shot with very light target loads, but she does not like that they are too heavy for her. She enjoys shooting but is not a gun enthusiast, and finds the double action revolver with a swing out cylinder to be the simplest to understand, and easiest to load and unload. With revolvers you have the luxury of being able to use various degrees of ammo, form cat fart to magnum.

My wife is by no means a gun person, don't worry, she's not anti-gun either. Years ago she used to shoot with me from time to time and she did really well with an old smooth 38spl.Colt Metropolitan. I also had a nice Colt 1911 45ACP that with light target loads she did not like at all. It seems after talking about it, the movement of the slide really bothered her. By the way, she ended up shooting double action with that old Colt really well. I also like the SP 101 .327, except for what they sell for! Much more than a 38 or 357 SP 101.

How sensitive to recoil is she? Is 9mm on an a steel pistol too much(like 1911)?
If .22 is the best fit then, I would look at 22LR S&W M&P compact --- I have no experience with this but it seems like it would be good recoil sensitve and maybe for people with small hands.
I have a Ruger SR22 that my kids like but I think I would have gotten the 22LR S&W M&P compact if it was available then.
Browning Buckmark and Ruger MKxxx are the easy choices. As 44 Amp said, they can last many many rounds without disassembly. To me, the 4" barreled ones are more lively than the longer barreled versions but takes more concentration to shoot as well as the 5.5" or 7". My primary 22LR pistol is a buckmark with the older/bigger grip.

My wife's Ruger SR 22 was her favorite gun until she tried my Sig 1911-22. Its the Sig branded GSG. Now the 1911-22 is her favorite gun. Before I got her to try it she thought that a 1911 style pistol was to heavy for her. She is very recoil shy but enjoys the sig so I am happy that she is comfortable using it.

"...I also like the SP 101 .327..."

This is the correct direction. The lightest 32 rounds have recoil barely more noticeable than that of a 22, but are far more effective. As the shooter gets used to the weapon, 32 H&R magnum becomes NBD, and it is said to be as effective as 38 special. And if the shooter is eventually okay with 327, that is a very potent round indeed.

It makes no sense to consider 22 for SD when 32 is available, imho.

I often forget about the .327. I would like to see it become a little more mainstream/popular as far as ammo availability goes but that would be a nice alternative to a rimfire for the recoil sensitive.

Back