Handgun Brands I Don't Like:

If a maker only has one model gun, or all their guns are variations of the same basic thing, THEN I could see saying you dislike that brand.

For me, one of those is GLock.

On the other hand, saying you don't like Ruger or S&W, for instance, when they make so many vastly different guns...you can't find a single one of them that you actually like?

Me, I don't like Ruger centerfire auto pistols. Not crazy about their DA revolvers. LOVE their SA revolvers, and really like my old Mark I .22.

I don't care much for S&W autopistols, but very little beats the DA revolvers they used to make.

There are specific models of gun I don't care for, things I wouldn't like, no matter who's name was on them. I don't dislike things for their brand name, I do it for what they are, and are not.

44 AMP: My thoughts exactly. When I was a kid in the fifties, I loved Daisy's "Red Ryder" BB gun; the pump model, not so much. Guess which one I got for Christmas...:( But that didn't mean I hated Daisy as a brand; that would be silly. I just blamed my father for not being more perceptive. :)

For the most part there aren't any guns or brands I don't like, just some that I like more that others.

So what is the point of this ramble?
Don't be so quick to condemn others choices of firearms

Smith & Wesson - Don't know why, I just don't.

Going to have to condemn you for your choice of not liking S&W's since you give no other reason than just because.

I like guns that are reliable..... I don't care what brand.....

Taurus for example is often beat up for poor quality but I have a 92 from the early 90s with 25000+ rounds with nary a bobble....

I like all-things-firearms and don't discriminate in terms of never "considering" a purchase even for something that "sucked" so to speak in the past.

For example, I have had bad luck with NIB Remington shotguns of late (wouldn't eject hulls after first shots requiring a polishing of the chambers). Likewise, a buddy's 870 Express just recently required attention out-of-the-box to get it to work normally. Remington QC of late IMO sucks. Sorry to say such has been documented on Youtube and countless Forums so it's not "just-me."

That said, I have shot their new 1911 and am considering purchasing the gun as it just seems rock-solid reliable and a fine gun.

Another note, I know a lots of guys that are adamant about "bad" luck with foreign made models and, moreover, state they will "never" buy firearms not made here in our Great Country. Yet, I conversely have had Outstanding performance with Bulgerian, Sebian, Chinese, Turkish etc. forearms.

So it's all relative and my conclusion is personally I cannot (as the OP states) "categorically" say that there is a particular brand I do not like.

Happy Memorial Day and may God Bless our proud Veterans.

boondocker385

I like guns that are reliable..... I don't care what brand.....

Taurus for example is often beat up for poor quality but I have a 92 from the early 90s with 25000+ rounds with nary a bobble....

Yup, I have yet to find a "sincere" non-favorable review of the Taurus PT-92 (first gun I personally ever bought so I am admittedly biased). As we all know, it's probably because Taurus bought the Beretta Factory back in the early 80's and used the same machinery/process to make their version of Beretta's absolute masterpiece which is generally regarded as one of the greatest pistol designs of the twentieth century.

I've had pretty good performance from my 92, 24/7 Tactical, 990, PT-22/25 and a Heritage Rough Rider.

Next up for me is their 1911 which has now come down to what I believe is a reasonable pricing (IMO they were overpriced for sometime).

Happy Memorial Day and God Bless our Great Nation's Veterans.

Not going to list them, but companies that spend as much / more time stealing ideas than making their own product. I realize there are only a a few mechanical setups out there, but there is plenty of room for ergonomics and artistic freedom.

He is correct, if a bit effusive. The Beretta 92 is considered a modern benchmark design that has been solidly influential. If not of the entire twentieth century, which is at least arguable, easily of the last few decades, which is not. It also borrows design elements (direct feeding, open slide) from Beretta designs of the 1920s, 1950s, and 1970s, as well as the Walther P38 (locking lug system), so it was inspired by and an evolution of designs throughout the twentieth century. It was also one of the brands in the first wave of "wondernine" pistols that catalyzed the en masse switch from revolvers and 1911s to high-capacity semiautomatics in U.S. policing.

Not "the most" influential, perhaps, but along with the G17, Sig 226, Browning Hi-Power, CZ-75, and some others it is absolutely a reference auto.

Last edited:
"...The Beretta 92 is considered a modern benchmark design that has been solidly influential. If not of the entire twentieth century, which is at least arguable, easily of the last few decades, which is not..."

"... It was also one of the brands in the first wave of "wondernine" pistols that catalyzed the en masse switch from revolvers and 1911s to high-capacity semiautomatics in U.S. policing..."

Whereas the Beretta Model 92 certainly made a huge impact on which pistol design the U.S. military eventually adopted, the credit for American law enforcement agencies initially making the switch from the revolver to the semi-auto pistol should largely go to Smith & Wesson, with the introduction of the Model 39, followed shortly thereafter with the higher magazine capacity of the Model 59. As early as 1967, the Illinois State Police Department issued Model 39s to their officers and, later, Model 59s became the standard issue. On the heels of "First Generation" Smiths came the later 2nd and 3rd Generation iterations; pistols adopted by many, if not most, police departments of the era as standard issue weapons.

Later, SIG and Beretta pistols became popular police issue handguns-and then came the Glock...:eek:

Thank you ludwig, forgetting to mention the Smith 2nd and 3rd gens was a pretty big gap in my little mini-history. 5906 is great. Anyone know how good the current batch at Bud's is?

Assuming the condition of the pistol being at least "good", Model 5906 pistols are always good options. I'm not acquainted with Bud's inventory of Model 5906s but, if they're at least in good condition, they're bound to be great.

And just so you know where I'm coming from, I'm also a big fan of the Beretta Model 92 pistol.

As several have pointed out, I like certain guns. Mostly based on accuracy, power, reliability, an appearance.

There are many good handguns, fewer handsome good guns.

I like:

1. Ruger Blackhawks & Super Blackhawks

2. Colt New Frontiers

3. USFA Single Actions

4. Uberti Single Actions

5. Older Smith & Wesson double actions (Especially the Model 19 2 1/2" and the Model 686)

6. Colt New Service

7. Colt Officers Model Match

8. Colt Python

9. Colt Gold Cup .45 ACP

10. Interarms Virginian (not the Dragoon.)

Bob Wright

I have only recently realized that revolver isn't spelled, "R-U-G-E-R". Go figure :D

As for semi's, not much of a preference, but I guess in the plastic gun category I'll go with Springfield. I carry an XDs .45 but my SR1911 sees the most range time.

The only thing I have against Glocks is that everybody else has one. I also never have cared for Smith & Wesson. Especially their semi's. I won't own a Beretta (other than the 92) simply because of the hideous(IMO) styling.

Some features I don't like on some brands like magazine disconnect , internal lock , and tang safeties on lever guns but I put up with it if overall it is a quality piece ! However , I really dislike Dan Wesson because I thought buying one was enough and now own three of their 1911's and am keeping an eye on the new DW model 715 revolver as well ! :D

The only guns I don't care for are the ones that I would consider expensive. Sounds odd I know.

I had a gun that I considered expensive so I ended up hardly ever shooting it because I didn't want it to get scratched or some other nonsense. I don't have enough money for safe queens. I ended up selling it and getting something else I considered more reasonably priced. To me guns are tools that I can appreciate for their usefulness. While I do take care of my tools I can't be worried if they get scratched or worn out over time.

Back