Handgun Brands I Don't Like:

cdbeagle

Glock - I don't like striker fired and think they are ugly.

Smith & Wesson - Don't know why, I just don't.

Ruger - If I ever buy a single-action revolver it will be a Ruger, though I doubt
that will ever happen.

Springfield - I have very wide hands with very short fingers. Never found a
Springfield I could grip.

I haven't given a valid reason for another person not to buy one of the above makers of firearms nor really much of a reason for me not to buy one. If one of the above were the only handgun available I would gladly own one and feel comfortable with it.

I like:
CZ, Sig, Browning, Colt Snubbies, RIA, Stoeger Cougars and Bersa. Why? I don't have a quantitative answer other than grip fit.

I firmly believe that all of the above mentioned company's make very fine guns and their fair share of lemons. I also believe that our subconscious governs our likes and dislikes much more than we know.

So what is the point of this ramble?
Don't be so quick to condemn others choices of firearms and tell them what idiots they are(it happens on all forums, this one less than most) unless of course it is a Judge or a Governor and then it is open season.

And don't be one of those people that rant on a forum that they will never buy another Ruger(pick any maker) because their NIB pistol had a scratch on it or was having extractor issues yet never even contacted Customer Service to let the Company make it right. The only time I've ever had an issue with a new firearm was with a new Weatherby rifle that the safety would not engage and a Browning Maxus that came new with a broken shell lifter. But companies made it right most rikky tick. I just get so tired of seeing threads titled, I'll never buy brand x again, and never even contacted the company to give them a chance to make it right.

RG, Rossi, Taurus. I can't remember which it was, but one only had a pin holding the barrel on. It lossened one day and wouldn't hold a pattern. Then, while blasting away, the barrel also went downrange. (.32, or .38. Can't remember which.)

A RG got out of time and if you weren't paying attention, the bullet would slam into the forcing cone stop jamming up the works until you cut it out. (.22) My uncle once tried it and laid his finger along the cylinder as he shot it for some reason. Nearly cut the finger in half. Duct tape got it back together.

I hated the pkastic guns until it finally dawned on me I could carry them, drop them throw them, and it wouldn't hurt their value or usability. I used to cry every time I used some fine weapon and it got any wear marks. Glock fan now and with Wolf barrels, I can put out some nice 1-hole groups too tight for the famed cloverleaf at 30'. Braced, but not offhand though.

In the early '90s Glocks were ugly. Than a friend of mine got me to shoot his G-23 down at the range and within a week I owned his. He wanted the then new gen-3 with the finger grooves molded into the grip.

By the 2000s Glocks had become beautiful. WIth a half dozen of them in the queue I sometimes can't decide which to pack. :)

I have never disliked any firearm that I owned. Except for the .22 short, smooth bore Derringer that I bought used at the LGS. Got rid of that in short order.

The brands I like are Ruger, S&W, Springfield, and Glock. Pretty much all the ones OP dislikes, lol. Never had a CZ, but I think they are good quality.

I intend to stay away from Star, Taurus, and Bersa. Brands I would consider owning are Sig, Walther, CZ, Kahr, and HK.

Brands I like are common types, those you can get mags, holsters and other parts for easily. Those that are reliable...

Ruger, Glock, S&W, Sig

I currently don't own a glock but I can see a G34 or 35..maybe a 41 in my future.

I really shot my 20 great, wonder if that would transfer to those listed above.

For me it's about PREFERENCE, not dislike. Just as with cars there is a seat for every butt, well same with guns -- preference. I do like Brownings, M41's, as well as custom flintlocks. Glocks and other plastics not so much.

David :)

The currently produced handguns that come to mind are Kel-Tec and Hi-Point.
Better than nothing is the best I can say about them.

I do not like Kel-Tec, Taurus, Hi Point, or Kimber.

I owned a couple of Kel-Tecs years ago, and they are cheaply constructed. Owned 4 Taurus pistols when I was young and poor, and 3 were garbage right out of the box. Never owned a Hi Point, but then again I never had the urge to after handling one. Owned 3 Kimber 1911's, and two constantly FTRB, even after multiple trips back to the factory.

I am a big fan of the Springfield XDm. IMO it is one of the finest striker fired polymer pistols made. Very accurate, high magazine capacity, excellent ergonomics, decent stock trigger, durable, and 100% reliable. I plan on purchasing a couple more in the next few months.

I also like Kahr, Ruger, S&W, Sig, Hk, Walther, FN, and Beretta pistols.

Lastly, I have heard many horror stories on various forums in regards to Kahr pistols, but I have owned several and all have been 100% reliable. No problems whatsoever. I carry a Kahr PM40, and my fiance, after deciding that she liked my CM9 enough that it became her gun :D, carries that daily. It has also been 100% reliable through hundreds of fmj and close to 150 rounds of +P jhp.

The handguns I like makes a much shorter list than the ones I dislike.

AMT (AutoMag II)
Beretta
Browning
Charter Arms
Colt
High Standard
H&R (999 Sportsman)
KelTec
Luger/Parabellum
Remington
Ruger
Savage/Stevens (break-open .22's)
S&W
Walther

Smith & Wesson - Don't know why, I just don't.

:confused: You have every right, obviously, to dislike any handgun brand for your own reason(s). It just strikes me as odd that you admit to having no reason(s) for disliking a brand.

never met a gun I didn't like just some more than others.

I agree with madmo44mag's take on the question.

I think it's easier for me to list those I like;
You can just add T/C to PetahW's list and I'd be fine.

Gun threads I don't like

I just don't like gun threads like this... I can't explain why, I just don't. :rolleyes:

Sarcasm aside... handguns are tools. Inanimate objects that do a very specific job. Nothing more, nothing less. Sure we have our "preferences" but at the end of the day, it's an emotionless game.

Glock is the only make I really don't care for, don't like that weird trigger, the polymer frame, etc. Though if you GIVE me one.....as a Life Member of SNM (Sons of Neanderthal Man) I do not care for aluminum, titanium, polymer, whatever frames.

Peter,

So sorry to here you feel this way, some of them hold memories of hunting/fishing trips, past times and places and the people involved with them. To some of us.

Guns are like cars, boats, women, men, sex, liquor, etc. . . .

To quote an old friend . . . "There's no such thing as a bad _________ (you fill in the blank) . . . . it's just some are better than others.

If we all liked the same thing in life . . . it would be pretty boring. :eek:

I don't have any that I flat out dislike just because, but some I don't generally look at because their products don't interest me or their quality control is iffy, whether it's asthetics or just because.

Back